Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2014, 01:28:52 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  Aurora Skies (Earth Defence 2.0 setting discussion)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Aurora Skies (Earth Defence 2.0 setting discussion)  (Read 9200 times)
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: July 06, 2012, 01:58:05 PM »

Hmm.  Ya know, CETT does have some bleeding edge fabrication gear.  They could stock a dozen small arms calibers, and let the agents go to town with what they want/like/know/decide they need.  Capturing a UFO crashed or landed out in the boonies requires a different loadout from running through a City repelling a terror attack.
True, CETT does have fabrication gear that is well ahead of most Earth nations, but they are facing enemies that have RTS levels of fabrication and deployment.  As such, they have to manage their resources wisely, and would probably want to cut down on things that would cause logistical issues, like a large number of differing calibers for the same weapon types.  Just sayin'.
A US Army light infantry company keeps more than dozen different ammunitions on hand.  Just sayin'.

I thought there was an Expert Class that did unmanned vehicles.  We may have to whip one up.
Pretty sure it's the Foward, probably using Wheelman as a base class, since I don't believe the Wheelman's abilities specify that they have to be in the vehicle they use.
Good to see I'm not crazy, and I guess I left that PDF at home.  (Which book?)

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: July 06, 2012, 02:01:29 PM »

World on Fire.
RusVal
Control

There are no ends. Only new beginnings.

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 06, 2012, 02:36:13 PM »

A US Army light infantry company keeps more than dozen different ammunitions on hand.  Just sayin'.

Right, of course.  I suddenly remember a quote from a specific two "L" Colonel:

"This is a military base.  We're overstocked on everything."

"Why don't you wear a helmet?  I feel anonymous and disposable..." -VGCats

"What is this, a bad spy movie?!  You two are going to get us all killed!" -Jack Carver, Far Cry
RusVal
Control

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 15, 2012, 02:08:34 PM »

The funny thing about Earth, at least in the view of the multi, is that when it gets in trouble, it tends to get into it sideways.

Which is strange, once one who knows thinks about it.  It is not that Earth is the first planet to get invaded.  Far from it.  Nor necessarily, on the grand scheme of thing, is it the most important.  It is, however, the one most... numerous and varied, so to speak, on the alt-directional ways when it happens.

It is quite fascinating to behold, at least in comparison to the number of times it isn't threatened.  It's almost like mankind's martial spirit's desperation for a worthy opponent in light of it's maturing civility is drawing attention of those willing to answer the challenge broadcasted across space time.

Over here, for instance, has an Earth that has been plagued by alien invasion for millennia, yet it's outward development is unchanged from the base because of an incessant need to keep knowledge of the danger quiet in the name of "security", though the examples where knowledge had gotten out do bare evident to the wiseness of this move.

Over there, in contrast, are multiple little Earths where the planet's previous untouched nature is rudely despoiled by less scrupulous visitors.  Sometimes it is a subtle sparring of the minds, the dance of cloak and dagger.  Others are more roar and fire of military muscle (usually roar for the visitors, and fire for the poor Earthlings, though exceptions do exist), often with bodycounts in the high percentages.
Each time for those Earths, though, the destinies diverge greatly from one another in the aftermath, with humanity either readying for revenge, desperately prepping for the next wave, stoically clawing away from under an alien boot (and it's usually a boot.  The ones with claws tend to have other plans), or just meekly picking up the pieces.  And that assumes humanity survives.

And it's not just the nature of the invasion that varies so much, it's the nature of the aliens invading, and how humanity defends itself.

Looking back at the Earth plagued by invasion as an example, it seems as though if it is extra-terrestrial, and it is sentient, then it wants the little blue planet innocently circling around its yellow star three orbits out.  The reasons range from "saving it from itself" to "it's not mine, so I want it" to "it used to be mine, I want it back" to "pineapple square to HG sewing mishkeainlo blue" to "1011100010010110".
And in the face of this constant varied intrusion, humankind has tried varied secret responses, the only common factor between them being that they are successful before falling apart spectacularly, leaving the following generations the thankless task of scrambling around recovering enough pieces to mount a continuing defense in the face of the newest threat.

Of course, that was a rather extreme example.  The majority usually have just one invader, two at the most for the unlucky, though sometimes it is a "one at a time" type deal for the really unlucky ones.
And the invaders themselves range from slithering slobbering monsters looking for their next meal, to humanity's dark mirror looking for fresh genetic material (the men want the women, the women want the men and the women... the consistency of that last statement puzzles me, I'll admit), each with their own sciences and approaches.

Then there's humanity and it's attempts at holding on to it's home.  Some have known of the threat for years, and have plans in reserve for just the occasion.  Others only barely thought of the possibility, and find themselves desperately cramming for the ultimate pop quiz that they find themselves taking.
And that assumes that they didn't have a "private tutor" on hand to help them out, or that they had been warned well in advance before being handed the necessary tools.
Of course, even with the latter example, there is a surprising number of "teachers" that are either incompetent, intentionally sabotaging its "students", or are just plain unhelpful.

It is quite fascinating.

"What is this, a bad spy movie?!  You two are going to get us all killed!" -Jack Carver, Far Cry
RusVal
Control

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 15, 2012, 04:29:25 PM »

Just thought I should re-reiterate: AURORA SKIES IS NOT XCOM.  Sure it is heavily inspired by XCOM and its ilk, but it is not XCOM.

It is GI Joe, SHADO/Torchwood, and the remnants of Telsa-style Soviets, with assistance from the Kaiju Defense Force and some rather overzealous Germans and South Koreans, forming an XCOM/SHIELD/GDI style military force in the wake of Half-Life 1, Raccoon City, the events of Singularity (FPS), the initial invasion of a Hell's Hybrid of Go'auld-Snakemen-Ceph-Strogg, and the funky time-space machinations of the Grays colliding with the 30 Xanitos pile-up of the Illuminati and that old guy from Crysis 2 HAPPENING IN THE SAME TWO YEAR PERIOD.

All the while, the Decepticons are waiting patiently on the wings, occasionally crossing paths with the seemingly endless number of infiltrator cells sent by a martian civilization desperately hanging on from an alternate dimension anchored to the red planet.  At the same time, an ancient Earth civilization is waking up from a similar style alternate dimension, which is drawing the attention of the Covenant, the Combine, a traveling space circus of ugly clowns, and Klingon/Orks.

Wait, there's more!  There's some bruh-haha going on in Japan over some "remnants of the Moon Kingdom", where the Power Rangers and Sailor Sentai face forces from some tentacle ship in geosynchronous orbit overhead, occasionally getting help from some runaway space princesses who are all shacking up with the same (un)lucky guy.

And to top it all off, the Illuminati has gotten into a merger with Umbrella and the Weyland Corp, and are trying to use Things People Are Not Meant To Know for Fun And Profit.

After all of this, can you blame the MIB for getting frustrated with keeping the tourism flowing?

Not to mention the brainchild of Daniel Jackson, the Ghost Busters, and what's left of the Black Mesa science team keeps trying to poke things in the name of the human condition, often not realizing what they are getting themselves into.

So to finish up this rather large post:
Ultimately, Aurora Skies isn't an alien invasion story.  It is the story of EVERY alien invasion scenario happening in the wake of other invasions, with nothing but more invasions waiting to happen after these are taken care of.
And the PCs are the grunts on the frontline of this fight.

Lucky you.

MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: July 15, 2012, 05:08:07 PM »

Has Cobra come in from the cold?  Are they a fifth column?  Will Destro cease being a member of Cobra, and find his own mercenary way?

Will GI JOE and CETT be competitors for elite commandos?

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
RusVal
Control

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 15, 2012, 05:31:21 PM »

*sigh* Not literally. I do prefer to file off the serial numbers most of the way, thanks. Roll Eyes

Will GI JOE and CETT be competitors for elite commandos?

That... is actually a plot point.  That and one or two WoF factions might be rattling about, oblivious to the greater war going on.

RusVal
Control

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 25, 2012, 03:48:48 PM »

Warning to all CETT troopers:

There have been increasing reports of a mysterious military force in the combat zones, fighting both the Echo-Tango forces as well as our own.  All inquires towards allied forces have confirmed that these people do not follow any known human flag, and are to be considered hostile until proven otherwise.

(click to show/hide)

As always, keep alert, stay safe.

MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: July 30, 2012, 06:52:16 PM »

Are those the guys from Crysis?

Anyway, for proof that I should not have time alone to think, as I was meandering home from the train station I hit upon the sidearm for the CETT troopers, once they get powered armor.  Remember that double barrel AR pattern rifle in the new guns thread?  Up it to .50 caliber, I was thinking Beowulf for being totally sick, but Action Express will work.  Then shrink it down to the pistol size, no buttstock and an 8" barrel.

No kill like overkill.   Evil

RusVal
Control

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 31, 2012, 06:34:05 PM »

Are those the guys from Crysis?

Nope, Tekken: Blood Vengeance, playing the armored mooks who look threatening but are ultimately ineffective.  In the movie they shoot at an unarmed woman without hitting, die battling mech walkers to a man, and get outfought by a panda.
Seriously.

I first saw them during the Spoony One's review of the movie, and I thought to myself "those guns look cool".
Funny thing is, that picture is the only clear picture of them (and the guns) that I could find from extensive searching.   Tongue

Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: July 31, 2012, 06:38:55 PM »

Huh.  My guess was Killzone guys.  They look almost identical - you could probably use a screenshot of them if you wanted to (since you can find near infinite clear ones).

(click to show/hide)
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: July 31, 2012, 08:29:46 PM »

The Tekken guys look to be carrying XM-8s, and the Killzone guys have FAMASes, and look a bit more professional/experienced, IMO.

RusVal
Control

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 01, 2012, 06:32:24 PM »

The Tekken guys look to be carrying XM-8s, and the Killzone guys have FAMASes, and look a bit more professional/experienced, IMO.

The Tekken gun is more a flat-top SCAR/ACR with a very fancy sighting system attached via rails, and an EGLM style grenade launcher.  The Killzone guys have drum-fed bullpup G36s.

MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: August 02, 2012, 07:12:53 AM »

Drum fed bullpup?  That sounds awfully cumbersome.

RusVal
Control

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 02, 2012, 02:11:57 PM »

Drum fed bullpup?  That sounds awfully cumbersome.

The drum installs directly into the stock after opening a flap (bullpup breach-load? I'm a little hazy on the terminology), with spent casings being ejected using an F2000-ish system.  Interestingly, the game uses the "logic" that because the ammo loads from a circular drum, that the recoil should be circular, too.

Speaking of Killzone, though, that game is a good example of what I like to call "Camo Low-High Tech", where the technology used by military forces in a sci-fi setting are technically only slightly above contemporary level, yet they can still pull far future things off like powered armor, jet VTOLs, battle-class space ships, mech walkers, etc.
Other examples include the rebooted Battlestar Gallactica, some Imperial Guard regiments in Warhammer 40k (style-wise, anyways), and military-style enemies in a number of Japanese games.

(And speaking of the Japanese, one interesting practice I noticed is having characters in the fanciest looking powered armor, yet the guns they use are usually outdated even for the time the work comes out.  Those that go out of their way to design their own guns are usually better about it, but it can be a bit jarring to see Gundam style armor carrying around an M16A1)

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: