Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 22, 2014, 04:16:09 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  Aurora Skies (Earth Defence 2.0 setting discussion)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Aurora Skies (Earth Defence 2.0 setting discussion)  (Read 11080 times)
snake
Handler

Its all in the reflexes !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2012, 06:49:13 AM »

You've probably already heard of these but possible good source material:

"When Aliens Attack" - Discovery Channel programme.
Torchwood esp Children of Earth mini-series.
The Invaders - Old 1960s TV series
Stargate esp original Film
Apollo 18

Smiley
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 07:08:39 AM by snake » Logged

Lo, there do I see my father. Lo, there do I see my mother.
And my sister and my brother
Lo, there do I see the line of my people Back to the beginning.
Lo, they do call to me.They bid me take my place among them
In the halls of Valhalla Where the brave may live forever !!!
RusVal
Control

There are no ends. Only new beginnings.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 07:02:12 PM »

"When Aliens Attack" - Discovery Channel programme.

I so wanted to see that, but I just can't hunt it down.   Sad

Torchwood esp Children of Earth mini-series.

Yeah, CETT's not as oversexed as those guys.

Stargate esp original Film

Indeed.   Wink

Apollo 18

I just wish to repeat.  There is no base on the moon.

And just to add some reading for people:

The Polseen War series, by John Ringo
Into The Looking Glass series, by John Ringo
Monster Hunter International series, by Larry Correia (not alien invasion, but includes shooting monsters with guns)

Also, am currently fudging around with the guns, hope to post about them soon.

"Why don't you wear a helmet?  I feel anonymous and disposable..." -VGCats

"What is this, a bad spy movie?!  You two are going to get us all killed!" -Jack Carver, Far Cry
RusVal
Control

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2012, 03:15:41 PM »

[Excerpt from IFABFOS]

Threat Condition Codes

Like any military organization worth its weight in bullets, CETT uses a color-coded "Threat Condition" system to help communicate how dangerous any given situation might be to its personnel.  For CETT, the system is as follows:

(examples in ())

PURPLE: No threat, stand down
GREEN: Minor infiltration (single alien in small city)
YELLOW: Minor assault (small alien patrol squad)
BLUE: Medium level infiltration (single cell in small town)
ORANGE: Medium level assault (platoon with minor support)
BROWN: High level infiltration (most of a large town)
RED: High level assault (battalion with support)
BLACK: Extreme infiltration (most of a city)
WHITE: Extreme assault (army level)
NOVA: WARNING: CODE LEVEL NOVA IS ONLY TO BE USED IN EXTREME EMERGENCIES.  MISUSE OF CODE LEVEL NOVA IS GROUNDS FOR SEVERE PUNISHMENT.
[End excerpt]

"What is this, a bad spy movie?!  You two are going to get us all killed!" -Jack Carver, Far Cry
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2012, 03:58:01 PM »

Possible character idea:

A former Army Ranger who is now retired after 20 yrs in the field and living back home in his native town. He works as a professional armorer and gunsmith at the local gun shop.

When he realizes things are happening, he is the survivalist they need to rally his town and take the fight to the enemy.

Living Spycraft Masterm
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2012, 05:11:41 PM »

Possible character idea:

A former Army Ranger who is now retired after 20 yrs in the field and living back home in his native town. He works as a professional armorer and gunsmith at the local gun shop.

When he realizes things are happening, he is the survivalist they need to rally his town and take the fight to the enemy.
He's the reason that one little town the aliens thought would be so easily cowed was not...   Grin

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
VisualStatic
Control

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2012, 05:33:14 PM »

I've been debating my normal stand in of  a former marine scout/sniper, or going with a  military scientist, either in computers, chemistry, mechanical engineering....

--
Heroes don't die, they just reload.
--
A Master of the Dark Arts of System Administration.
RusVal
Control

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2012, 04:03:22 PM »

PROGRESS REPORT: *Groan* There is still so much I have to do.  I've got the stats for CETT almost finished, and maybe CETT's custom assault rifle, but I have to stat out everything else.  And to top everything off, my main computer is on the fritz.  Undecided

On more good news, I can at least confirm the existence of the Sectoids and Snakemen for this setting (under different names, of course), though I'm still working on their "partner races", and that I'm working one or two other races besides (in my head at the moment, still need to get it down on paper).  I also have the "state of the world" pretty much down pat, as well as the direction it will try to take without PC interference.

I am also considering snagging myself a copy of Transmechs and the Stargate RPG to try to help out on some things that are still bugging me.

Wish me luck.

Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2012, 09:36:34 PM »

I am also considering snagging myself a copy of Transmechs and the Stargate RPG to try to help out on some things that are still bugging me.

Good luck and both those will supplement you very nicely

Living Spycraft Masterm
RusVal
Control

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2012, 02:51:30 PM »

Hey guys!  Let's play Good News, Bad News! (I'm just full of 'em, aren't I?)

Good News: I have a line on a copy of the Stargate RPG, and in good condition, too.  Yay internet!

Bad News: The thing's practically a collector's item, so even used copies fetch a healthy price.

Normally, this wouldn't be a problem, but (and get this) I am currently saving up to pre-order XCOM: EU.  Curse you, irony!  Tongue

Well, I'll try to make it up to you guys.  I'm gonna hunker down and try to get some stats done in the next couple days this week when I can.  Before I do, though, I want to gauge you guys on something: mainly, do you guys want "weirder" character options?  By which I mean abhumans and psionics.
Please note, I only have the 2.0 books (plus RAHEROes) and glim's Mass Craft to work with, so if you guys want psionics, I'm gonna have to mod glim's biotic system to do so.
Abhumans (ie humans modified to the point that they are a separate sub-group) is much simpler, but sort of, kind of doesn't fit the theme of "Humanity stands alone!!" that UFO (and UFO, and UFO) has, except for UFO: Aftershock.  And if I allow them, I will have to limit the number of PCs that have them to one per group.
So, let me know if you guys want them.
Actually, I should probably start a poll somewhere...

RusVal
Control

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2012, 05:30:17 PM »

File April Fools
Subject: Leporidae Sapient Gunnildr

An interesting specimen to be sure, the Leporidae Sapient Gunnildr was discovered in a crashed UFO sometime in the late 1990s.  Initially hostile, after incident 7059b, with which personnel from Operation: Minuteman were captured briefly, relations quickly improved to the point that a mutual understanding was met, and diplomacy was initiated.
It was soon discovered that the UFO was a refugee ship from a planet called "Eruyt", although the navigation systems were fried, and we are still trying to pinpoint the system's location.
Soon thereafter, following an intensive year-long investigation into the species' origins that found no conclusive proof of hostility towards humanity, the subjects were granted refugee status.
Unfortunately, due to the Leporidae Sapient Gunnildr's unique physiology and psychology, it was deemed that the subjects would only be allowed limited contact with the world at large, often under close supervision.  As such, many Leporidae Sapient Gunnildr decided to make many of the Minuteman military bases that they were being held their home.
Over the following years, the sight of a Leporidae Sapient Gunnildr became commonplace in the cement-filled holes that the project often used, though a number of subjects did leave to join a number of Minuteman's sister organizations.  A few were even successful in joining civilian life, though these were, and still are, closely monitored to prevent any possible leaks to the "truth".
The ties, however, were not as strong as the ones brought on by the 98-99 incident.  During this time, many subjects gave their lives right along side humanity, even sacrificing themselves to save a small few people.  Now, despite being much fewer than they were, it can be said that they will have a home on planet Earth.

Subject Physicality Report:  Leporidae Sapient Gunnildr is a carbon-based biped-humanoid, sharing many traits with Homo Sapient Sapient.  It fact, there are a surprising number of similarities, one that has many scientists theorizing a possible shared ancestry between the two species.  Until we can make it to their Eruyt to get proper samples, however, we can only theorize.  However, this does mean that many foods edible to humans are also edible to Leporidae Sapient Gunnildr, although the species happens to be entirely vegetarian, possibly because of the other species that Leporidae Sapient Gunnicus shares similarities: The common bunny rabbit, although the only visual hints towards such are the long floppy ears, and the differing body proportions (longer, more muscular legs; skinnier arms).
Because of the otherwise similar physical traits to humans, a Leporidae Sapient Gunnildr could pass itself off as one, though it often requires tying their ears either behind their heads or underneath a hat.  Because of this, many grow their hair long, which they often tie back in a way to hide their ears.
Speaking of hair, another trait they share with humans is their lack of fur, although the top of the head seems to be the only place where they grow hair.  The rest of the body is remarkably bare.  Might be genetic engineering at work here, though we will need a more "raw" specimen before we can come to a conclusion.
Another similarity to humans: reproductive system.  At least, as far as we can tell the proper "tools" are in the proper places, although we only have the female of the species to observe (more on this later), and males have been confirmed by both subject testimony and genetic observations, as before until we can find one, we can only assume that the same "dance" is required to propagate the species, which has more or less been confirmed by personnel testimony.
And speaking of personnel testimony, the mere fact that Human-LSG relations can go so far as to produce offspring is remarkable.  Even more remarkable is what species the offspring can be.  Namely that all the sons are human, and the daughters are not.
This should not be possible.  We have studied this at length, and have concluded that it is, in fact, not possible.  And yet somehow it happens.  More extensive study will be required, but the current theory is some sort of sub-conscious psychic quantum genetic manipulation happens during the gestation period.  Of course, as a colleague has pointed out, considering some of the scientific impossibilities that faces CETT on a daily basis, something like this shouldn't be too surprising, and that we should be glad that no freaks of nature can be a result of this particular inter-species relationship.

So much to study...

Subject Psychology report:  The most bazaar part of Leporidae Sapient Gunnildr, and in fact the cause of the last part of its name, is the psychological profile.  They seem to have some memory of a previous culture, but don't seem to remember the details.  When discovered, they had some highly advanced technology available to them, yet once friendly relations was established gave all of it up willingly, and became practically enthralled in human technology, particularly that of firearms and military tech.
Because of this, occupations often have some relation to firearms, whether it is the construction, modification, maintenance, and/or use.  Hence the rather obscure "Gunnildr" monicker at the end, since as far as we can tell, this behavior is consistent across the entire species, or at least the part we have made contact with.
Considering how unusual this is, it is believed that we may have discovered escapees of some sort of genetically engineered army, although why they would be modified in this way is still a mystery.  However, given their consistent record of loyalty to the agencies they have worked with, as well as records well within nominal perimeters, we don't believe that they pose a possible security risk, though the current rate of psychological testing should be continued just to be safe.

[End File]
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 11:39:09 PM by RusVal » Logged

RusVal
Control

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2012, 03:00:14 PM »

To: [CLASSIFIED]
Subject: Those darn kids

Look, I understand that our original way of research and development, where we lock a bunch of scientists in a room, pick from a list of items we want, and tell them to get to work, was extremely costly and inefficient.
However, I would like to restate my dislike for this practice we have decided in its stead.  Outsourcing is one thing, and to a private sector company at that, but this specific company, this Minds and Technologies Collective Headquarters (or MaTCH, what is with these corporations and their dumb acronyms?) just get on my nerves.  Now before you comment that their credentials are clean, that all the non-disclosure agreements are in tidy order for those that work with us, and any flaws that they do have are well within reasonable parameters for a private sector, that is not what bothers me.

What does is their employees' attitude.  More than once I have had soldiers report a field scientist getting in the way of a mission objective "in the name of progress".  Things like "maybe if we try to understand the aliens, then all this conflict can be avoided" or "this [device] could help solve the problems of humanity" or "don't kill that, I need a live specimen", communist hippie bull like that.  I tell you, having to fight this war funded by noodle-necked back-stabbing politicians is bad enough, now we also have to deal with overeducated airheads trying to hug the damn drooling ravaging monsters that want to eat their faces and/or probe their digestive systems backwards.

At least the scientists we used to have understood the severity of the threat we face.  Sure, they may have laughed maniacally on occasion, tried to eat the alien corpses we brought back, and we would occasionally have to put down their latest crime against nature, but at least they understood that the xenos needed to die!

Anyway, just wanted to make sure that my position was clear on the subject.

Sincerely,
General Edward Hoover

P.S. Who keeps giving clearance to those guys in the suits?!  I've had the security system overhauled at least three times in as many months, and those guys still keep getting in!
Hell, I've checked some of the records, and all they seem to do is say that they are part of "the game", then they just get let in.
I'm kind of at a loss at the moment, since it almost seems like they get the clearance the moment they show up.  If you have any knowledge on the subject, I would like to know it.
And don't give me any of that guff I give the men.  I'm a General in the most powerful military organization on the planet, for God's sake!

RusVal
Control

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2012, 05:47:08 PM »

So, no response?  Not even a "I see what you did there" or a guess what the joke was on April First?

Hellooo?  Anybody?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 11:42:42 PM by RusVal » Logged

MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2012, 07:03:46 AM »

Bueller?  Bueller?

I was quite tickled by your Leporidae Sapient Gunnildr, obviously they should be PC species.   Grin

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
RusVal
Control

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2012, 03:42:56 PM »

I was quite tickled by your Leporidae Sapient Gunnildr, obviously they should be PC species.   Grin

And you would love to play it too, I bet. Wink

On a more serious note, I had an interesting idea:
The gear as-is from 2.0 can be hand-waved as having been upgraded by CETT (and allies) with all sorts of alien tech, and to help represent that would be a sort of penalty for non-"upgraded" equipment (reduced damage and range for guns, reduced DR for armor, that sort of thing).  Also, any "muggle" tech can be picked at one caliber lower than the core item, for those "low key" missions.
Any thoughts?

MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2012, 04:08:01 PM »

And you would love to play it too, I bet. Wink
**Whistles innocently.**

Any thoughts?
Eh.  How are  you going to downgrade everything in the gear section?

I think adding gadgets to the "standard gear" list would better reflect the gear that the CETT scientists and engineers build for the guys who go out to battle.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: