Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 31, 2014, 06:40:53 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  Aurora Skies (Earth Defence 2.0 setting discussion)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Aurora Skies (Earth Defence 2.0 setting discussion)  (Read 9737 times)
RusVal
Control

There are no ends. Only new beginnings.

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 09, 2012, 08:49:55 PM »

Why do they use it for mags if this is the case?  Surely something like the Ironman backpack, or even regular drums / beta mags work fine for most firefights (and since it's on earth, supply lines are close to impossible to fully cut off - given the existence of gun shops and the like in many countries).  Given the rarity (I assumed, based on the last sentence) it just strikes me a waste to space fold the mags at all (especially compared to other (bulkier) items).

Hang on, let me check...

*Creak*

Hey Doc, some guys got a question about...

*Ducks flying spatula*

SILENCE!!  I am in the MIDDLE of creating my three legged cyborg platypus army!

UGH!  And you made me throw one of my surgical implements!  Now I have to start over!

Sorry, just some guys had a question about the Folded Space Ammo Storage Mechanism, something about why we don't use the "Folded Space" for other things.

The what?

The Folded Space Ammo Storage Mechanism, why can't we fold space for other things?

The "Folded Space Ammo Storage Mechanism"?  What idiot folds space just to store ammunition?

Bu... You did!  All those rifle magazines that store more ammo inside them than should be physically possible?  Which we then used on most ammunition storage for vehicle weapons?  And the Folded Inventory Mesh?  And the...

Right right, that tiresome thing.

And when we asked you about applying folded space for other applications, you gave us all these reasons like...

Yes yes, I know what I told you.  You lot had me working 24/7 on that, and I had other scientific pursuits that needed researching, you know!

How is "folding space" not a worthwhile pursuit?

Well, truth be told I never actually "folded space".  Some lab assistant mistakenly though my cup holder was some sort of magazine grip, and realized that he could fit more bullets in it than he should when it was on.  
I had to skip sleeping for a week just so I could figure out what I did.

And I did!  Somehow...

Wait, so you don't know how it works.

Well I couldn't tell them that!  I have a reputation to uphold!
So when they asked me how it worked, I had to come up with some fancy science-related name, something catchy!  Something that you can make a cool-sounding acronym out of!
So, "Folded Space Ammunition Storage Mechanism".  It's just so fun saying "FSASM"!  FSASM, FSASM...

So, all those other things...

Like I said, I had other things to work on, so I just made up some plausible problems, like "double feeding", and "lagging", and "spontaneous backfiring", faked the test paperwork, and they let me go back to my studies.

Which you should be doing!  GET OUT OF MY LAB!!

Eep! *Quickly closes door before miscellaneous things hit*

Um...

So, to sum up: just be glad you get what you got, and don't ask questions on why it works.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 09:24:34 PM by RusVal » Logged

"Why don't you wear a helmet?  I feel anonymous and disposable..." -VGCats

"What is this, a bad spy movie?!  You two are going to get us all killed!" -Jack Carver, Far Cry
RusVal
Control

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2012, 06:47:07 AM »

[a/n-Ok, to make up for the EPIC SCIENCE FAIL of my last couple posts, here's something I have actually put some thought in.  Enjoy.  Or pick apart, whatever.]

File 6423-G
Subject- Weapon Research

Although I am remiss to report a lack in success in creation of a reliable plasma based weaponry similar to that used by our current... unruly visitors, I am happy to report that the current influx of samples provided to those of us in the lab has led to some large leaps in technological design theory.

Of particular focus is the weapons systems as reported in files [classified] and [classified], or better known to the troops as the two major plasma-based weapons that have been encountered in the field.

The first type, nicknamed the "fireball orb" gun by us in the science division, essentially creates a focused ball of ionized particles, by a process we currently theorize as some sort of gravity-induced anti-matter flux system, before launching the resultant "fireball orb" at a target.  This one, we admit, mostly just makes us look at it and scratch our collective heads.

The second, much cruder and less effective one, called the "flint" gun, is much more understandable in how it works.
Essentially a kinetic weapon, the "flint" is a currently unnamed material (that we have concluded is made and not naturally occurring) that is designed to go plasma during the firing sequence.
In short, it is a high-tech version of lighting an arrow on fire before launching it.  Or in this case, launching it causes the arrow to catch on fire.

So what have we figured out?  Don't worry, I'm getting to that.

The two major advances we have made are thus:

1.) While we have successfully recreated the material used as ammunition for the flint gun, all samples have suffered from a strange case of high deterioration, to the point that we cannot hope to reliably use it ourselves.  We believe that there may be a step in it's creation that we don't know about, and hope that current forays in studying captured visitor production facilities might yield an answer.
Wait, we captured some production facilities?
No.  *HINT HINT*

We have, however, been able to use the knowledge gleaned to design a new type of incendiary ammunition.  Similar to design to the current "Armor piercing incendiary" ammunition, however, instead of an incendiary element encased in a shell activated via explosive material, the shell itself is designed to "flare" via a process of [classified].
Similarly, we have designs on hand for more advanced explosive ordinance (frag grenades, missiles, etc.) that use a similar process to create, essentially, "flint fragments", which should increase lethality by a large percentage.

2.) One thing we found interesting about both the flint and the fire orb guns is, despite its usage by two vastly different species, is the remarkable similarities in their launching mechanisms.
In a way, they are very similar to Gauss-type weapons, in that they use a "pull" type mechanism in the barrel as propulsion for their launched material.

However, unlike, say, a railgun or coilgun, they don't use magnetism for the process, nor do they use manipulated gravity as we had previously theorized.
Even more confusingly, despite the last sentence, the process does have elements of magnetism, and manipulated gravity.

Despite the perplexing nature of this find, we believe that, helped by the current study into "grip" technology being done in the Armor & Equipment departments [see [classified]], we have been able to create a similar system.

While not technically a Gauss system, the name is well known enough to the troops for them to understand the basic gist of it, so we are naming it thus.  Instead of a series of coils, however, the system uses a grid of hexagonal "plates" designed to activate in a certain order.

Unfortunately, despite the achievement in and of itself for getting the system to work, it is not quite efficient enough on its own to be used as a mass-driving system.

Fortunately, there happen to be sci-fi geeks amongst the rank-and-file troops.

Thanks to the observations of one [classified], we have noticed that we were able to maintain an efficient level of propulsion at specific lower levels of power, and that, when combined with a more conventional chemical-based firearm, we were able to achieve velocities of a full powered singular system at a fraction of the power output.

As such, we have successfully designed a system designed to "strap on" to barrels of conventional firearms (though while "strap on", does require the trigger to be replaced to work properly), and have been able to achieve heightened weapon performance from doing so.

Designs for a more dedicated hybrid system are underway, with plans to combine with the "Plasmic Electro-Thermal" system currently in R&D.  If successful, we hope to achieve velocities to rival those used by the medium-grade visitor weapons.
[End file]
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 06:53:40 AM by RusVal » Logged

"What is this, a bad spy movie?!  You two are going to get us all killed!" -Jack Carver, Far Cry
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: May 16, 2012, 08:08:52 AM »

[a/n-Ok, to make up for the EPIC SCIENCE FAIL of my last couple posts, here's something I have actually put some thought in.  Enjoy.  Or pick apart, whatever.]
"Epic fail" is quite the wrong term.  Maybe "a bit off target."  No worries.

Call it a boost rifle?  But using a pull effect in tandem with a chemical pull sounds neat.  Maybe mate this system with caseless ammo, with a lower "powder" charge to reduce heat.  Caseless ammo means lighter ammo, so you can carry more.  It will also mean lighter felt recoil.

I want one of these.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
RusVal
Control

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 16, 2012, 09:28:47 AM »

Actually a hybrid Gauss/chemical firearm isn't entirely new.  Oftentimes it is a handwave to why an otherwise case- and recoil-less gun still spits out spent shells with the budda budda budda.
Most well-known example: the rifles Terran Marines use in Starcraft.

You might have also seen me use the term "GAET" (pronounced "Gate") gun before, which basically stands for "Gauss-Assisted Electro-Thermal".

As for "Electro-Thermal"... I got the idea from a D20 Future splatbook, so I'm not sure if it's a real thing or not.  Best I understand it, it's "gunpowder + SCIENCE!!" so... yeah.

Maybe mate this system with caseless ammo, with a lower "powder" charge to reduce heat.  Caseless ammo means lighter ammo, so you can carry more.  It will also mean lighter felt recoil.

I was actually thinking more of a telescoped-type casing, similar to the ones being developed by the LSAT program.
Though I understand the draw of caseless, like in space (where less random floating debris is a plus) and black ops (evidence?  What evidence?), but there's also the problem of overheating and keeping the propellant in one piece during the rough and tumble of combat.

MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: May 16, 2012, 10:04:13 AM »

I thought that noise the Terran marine's rifle was the round breaking the sound barrier.

Heat has been an issue with the caseless rounds, but cutting down the generated heat...  (I've got a couple of burn scars from hot brass down my clothes, I know how much heat shell casings take out of the weapon.  Grin Tongue )

Point is that I like this idea.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
RusVal
Control

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 17, 2012, 07:16:21 PM »

DalekFscker75- Are you sure it was them?
>Yes sir, I can definitely say it was
>All markers point in the proper directions
DalekFscker75- Let's take a look at it.
>Roger that

>-[BgnMsg]

Have the dreamers awakened yet?

Not sure, the alarm was sounded, but no one has reacted near as we can tell.  Not even hitting the snooze button to go back to sleep.

Your observation?

We might have waited too long, let the deterioration set in.  No one will be getting up.

Keep trying.  Maybe they aren't in, or have partied so hard as to be temporarily deaf to the ringing.

As you wish.

[EndMsg]

DalekFscker75- Any idea what they are talking about.
>Besides the glaringly obvious
>No
DalekFscker75- I was afraid of that.
>If I may, sir
>It might be prudent to declassify some files for your troops
>Particularly files about those that are helping us
DalekFscker75- Yeah, my thoughts exactly.  I'll get right on it.

MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: May 22, 2012, 01:58:47 PM »

Caseless ammo could cut 25 lbs. from gear

Telescoping case ammunition is getting really close, and looks to be cutting the weight of ammunition by 40-50%.  There are heat issues, but nothing relevant to a tabletop RPG unless the PCs regularly have encounters that are 30+ minutes of game time shooting.

Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: May 23, 2012, 02:51:29 AM »

You could always put Overheats on the weapon and call it done.  I'm not sure at what point heat generation becomes the Overheats quality though.
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: May 23, 2012, 05:53:33 AM »

You could always put Overheats on the weapon and call it done.  I'm not sure at what point heat generation becomes the Overheats quality though.
Usually after you've burned through triple the ammo usually carried in less than ten minutes...

And I'm pretty sure the Aurora Project researchers can knock out the last issues with the U-Magazine.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 08:16:49 AM by MilitiaJim » Logged

RusVal
Control

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 02, 2012, 09:49:26 PM »

Usually after you've burned through triple the ammo usually carried in less than ten minutes...

That, and IN SPAAACE where heat transferal is a major problem (unlike what movies lead you to believe), but space infantry combat is another kettle of fish entirely...

And I'm pretty sure the Aurora Project researchers...

Sorry, you seem to be confused.  The Aurora Initiative was a US Air Force project, who tended to focus on aerospace sciences.  Even after CETT's creation, anyone formerly connected to the program are more likely to be researching SCRAM-Pulse Engines and GNGR air-to-air missiles.

...can knock out the last issues with the U-Magazine.

That, or soldiers could use quad-stacked magazines.  Or both.

(Actually, when the gunner in the vid used the MAG5 with a SCAR, it looked very "miniature wargame"-e, which is very like the new XCOM look)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 09:53:43 PM by RusVal » Logged

RusVal
Control

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 21, 2012, 06:21:52 PM »

[Warning label on an E-115 container]

WARNING

Prolonged exposer to Elerium-115 can lead to any of the following side effects:

Headaches, backaches, athletes foot, extra foot, arthritis, swelling of the joints, swelling of the feet, swelling of the hands, extra fingers, loss of fingers, loss and regaining of fingers, hair loss, accelerated hair growth, random hair loss and growth, shingles, the bends, dry watery eyes, burning, scaring, welts, color change, limb growth, limb shrinkage, weight loss, weight gain, increased milk production, sudden wardrobe malfunction, unexplained pregnancy, random teleportation, undeath, redeath, sudden death, coming back from the dead, ability to talk to dead, loss of speech, randomly changing the language you can understand, memory loss, memory gain, sudden urge to eat brains, sudden urge to drink blood, nosebleed, and loss of smell.

If you've been exposed to E-115, please calmly lie on the ground while we quarantine the area.

MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: June 22, 2012, 08:44:57 AM »

[Warning label on an E-115 container]

WARNING

Prolonged exposer to Elerium-115 can lead to any of the following side effects: ...
I haven't played with a Happy Fun Ball in forever!

RusVal
Control

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 25, 2012, 07:58:46 PM »

I haven't played with a Happy Fun Ball in forever!

Shocked

Ya know, I had no idea that existed until now.  I was riffing a Jeff Foxworthy skit!  ("You know, I think I'll stick to itchy, watery eyes.")

RusVal
Control

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 26, 2012, 06:39:14 PM »

Finally got around to looking up Google translator (yeah, I'm lazy, what of it?), and was able to come up with a catchy motto for CETT.

"Ad Terram Finem", or "To Earth's End" if the translator is right.

MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: June 27, 2012, 11:02:35 AM »

"Ad Terram Finem", or "To Earth's End" if the translator is right.
At least junior high Latin lets one know if the translators are off a bit?  "Ad Terrae Finem," to give possession to the Earth, and make the end not a place.

How about "Donec mortem victurus, defensores terrae," "Until victory or death, Defenders of Earth"? 

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: