Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 24, 2014, 12:15:42 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  Aurora Skies (Earth Defence 2.0 setting discussion)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Aurora Skies (Earth Defence 2.0 setting discussion)  (Read 10376 times)
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2012, 10:02:25 PM »

Actually, the sabot is the carrier, not the projectile.

The only funny thing about the rounds in the transformer's movie is that saboted rounds are typically high velocity things and a 40mm launcher is a low velocity system.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
RusVal
Control

There are no ends. Only new beginnings.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2012, 07:24:20 PM »

(Or you can just rack the action.  The sound of a bolt loudly chambering a round is intimidating in its own right.)

Sure, but can you rack it one-handed whilst spouting quips?

"Why don't you wear a helmet?  I feel anonymous and disposable..." -VGCats

"What is this, a bad spy movie?!  You two are going to get us all killed!" -Jack Carver, Far Cry
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2012, 10:44:29 AM »

YES

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
RusVal
Control

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2012, 11:40:42 AM »

YES

Okay then, that's all I needed to know about that.   Wink

"What is this, a bad spy movie?!  You two are going to get us all killed!" -Jack Carver, Far Cry
RusVal
Control

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2012, 12:43:10 PM »

RANDOM RULES DROPPING GO!!

Basically something I whipped up while messing with the create-a-talent rules, only it doesn't really fit anywhere, and I might as well post it here.

Top Heavy
Whether barrels or basketballs, you got more up top than down below.

- +2 Strength, +2 Charisma, -2 Dexterity

- Once per session, you may improve the disposition of any 1 NPC by 1 grade without making a skill check.

- Speed -10'.

- You gain 2 extra vitality points at career level 1, and 1 additional point per character level gained thereafter.

MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2012, 08:52:03 AM »

You can get some pretty awesome ammo for the drone tanks:  Tank Ammunition Evolves

I see a recoil-less rifle version of some of these shells, or M-72/AT-4 one shot versions.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2012, 11:49:18 AM »

You can get some pretty awesome ammo for the drone tanks:  Tank Ammunition Evolves

I see a recoil-less rifle version of some of these shells, or M-72/AT-4 one shot versions.

Do you mean a shoulder mounted weapon like an RPG in the 120/125mm, or the same style but scaled down (in say, 25mm or whatever)?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 11:51:04 AM by Sletchman » Logged
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2012, 12:26:03 PM »

Do you mean a shoulder mounted weapon like an RPG in the 120/125mm, or the same style but scaled down (in say, 25mm or whatever)?
RPG-like, yes.
An M-72 or AT4 version would be smaller and single shot; much more handy for ops when heavy armor are not expected.

Arming the little tank drone with a .50cal chaingun and four of these would be pretty sweet.

Hmm.  While we're upgrading old school weapons, how about a thermobaric update of the M31 HEAT rifle grenade?

RusVal
Control

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2012, 12:19:02 AM »

Ok, before we go completely crazy with tossing random ideas in and such, I just want to get some of my thought processes out there so people can better understand what I'm aiming for.

Thing the firstly- While this is not a direct port of any setting or system, I am drawing inspiration from the various UFO-type games out their, chiefly XCOM, the UFO: Afterblank series, and the Area 51 series (mostly the first FPS, the second was too busy Bush bashing to be of any use).  So when I make a decision about what is in the setting, it will probably have some link to those primary sources.
For instance, CETT's custom assault rifle is in 6.8 SPC.  Why?  Because the original Rifle in XCOM was 6.7mm, and that's the closest caliber that already has rules in Spycraft.
Another example, in UFO: Afterlight, one piece of tech the player can build and equip his/her troops with is an "Accelerator" barrel attachment, which basically applies Gauss gun tech to "stabilize the bullet's trajectory and decrease wobble" to increase standard firearm damage.  Hence the idea I posted earlier of a Gauss barrel attachment to handwave the standard gear list's damage being on par with lasers and "plasma" weapons.

Thing the next one- Having said that, I also am a major fan of Aliens/Starship Troopers style military sci-fi, so some elements might end up sneaking their way in from time to time.
Like when I say "Heavy Laser", I'm thinking less vacuum cleaner and more
McKillsblaster.

Also twin-engine VTOLs. (And before you point out the Skyranger, that is in there too as the Russian High-Speed VTOL for long-distance deployments, alongside the American "Stork" Heavy Lift VTOL, the German "Valkyrie" Combat VTOL, and the American "Arrowhead" Stealth VTOL.  Yes, I have put some thought into CETT's vehicles, too)

Thing the last- Metal Slug has ET-like aliens in it, so it makes sense that CETT has Metal Slugs, right?  Wink

This the last final- Just so other GMs out there know, while the game I plan to run does follow the militaristic exploits of the Counter Extra-Terrestrials Taskforce, it is by no means the only part of the setting.  I am intentionally designing in room for other people to do their own thing as well if they want.  For instance, the Minds and Technologies Collective Headquarters is a great place for more Gonzo SCIENCE adventures into the unknown.  Or, if you have an affinity for nice ties, a suit, and a Q-brand briefcase, the Global Alien Monitoring and Enforcement group is always popping up mysteriously on your doorstep.

Also, just because you might have been abducted, doesn't mean that your adventure has to never start.  There have been reports of abductees who were able to escape their confinement.  While the ones known about were those who made it back to Earth, it is not impossible to think that some had to escape by going further into space.  Who knows, maybe some were even able to commandeer their own spacecraft...

Thing with the Ps and the Ss- While a Gun Bunny might be a bit... focused for any setting, anyone mind there being Tank Vixens?  Been tweaking the Like A Fox! race that I posted a while back, and I do have some interesting back story that'll fit.  (And don't worry, there can be male versions, too)  And, y'know, it's kind of been sitting there all lonely and all...

Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2012, 12:38:15 AM »

i assume you mean starship troopers the film, so how about the technology that the old novel first introduced to the public : jump capable power armour and nuclear bozokas? Also halo drops...

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
RusVal
Control

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2012, 01:41:50 AM »

i assume you mean starship troopers the film,

I actually mean Starship Troopers the all of them.  Yep, the book, the first and third movies, the TV series, debated getting the wargame version (I decided against it), though I am currently kicking myself for not getting the d20 Modern rulebook, I even played a demo of the awful FPS.  Lookin' forward to the new CGI movie comin' out, in fact.

Though I actually cut my teeth on the bug-hunt with Starcraft...

MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2012, 12:14:58 PM »

...  Also halo drops...
You mean low orbit drops.  Wink

Why do I worry that the Gun Bunnies and Tank Vixens won't get along too well?  Am I over thinking this?  (Hint:  YES.)

Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2012, 03:01:59 PM »

Yay, gotta love power armour. What is FPS?

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2012, 03:31:29 PM »

...  What is FPS?
First Person Shooter.  Think Call of Modern Warfare.

RusVal
Control

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2012, 07:13:04 PM »

Why do I worry that the Gun Bunnies and Tank Vixens won't get along too well?  Am I over thinking this?  (Hint:  YES.)

Actually, Gun Bunnies and Tank Vixens get along just swimmingly.  In fact, a GB+TV duo is quite common, and often is the bane of criminals, police officers and insurance agents the world over.

Yay, gotta love power armour.

When you have a good portable power supply, sure.

...  What is FPS?
First Person Shooter.  Think Call of Modern Warfare.

AKA the closest some of us have come to actual combat.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: