Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 31, 2014, 10:37:55 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  Neanderthals
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Neanderthals  (Read 655 times)
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2013, 02:06:04 AM »

Giant-blooded neanderthal actually sounds like a better way to handle things.

To me that seemed too similar to saying, for instance, orc leaders are all orc-blooded humans. I try not to be overly literal, but the Blood feats are pretty specific.

No, they're a mechanical benefit. How you choose to skin that it up to you (I'm currently playing a "saurian blooded" human, whose skyclutch feats are being played as the result of mystic training rather than being half lizard.

pawsplay
Powered By Publisher
Control

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2013, 04:40:54 AM »

Giant-blooded neanderthal actually sounds like a better way to handle things.

To me that seemed too similar to saying, for instance, orc leaders are all orc-blooded humans. I try not to be overly literal, but the Blood feats are pretty specific.

No, they're a mechanical benefit. How you choose to skin that it up to you (I'm currently playing a "saurian blooded" human, whose skyclutch feats are being played as the result of mystic training rather than being half lizard.

I applaud your creativity in modeling that concept. However, I'm not trying to model a difficult concept with existing toys, I have the whole toybox to place with. I don't want to grant Neanderthal leaders access to feats as though they were Giants. But if you need those feats, you can still make a Giant Blood Neanderthal because there is no corresponding penalty for not taking the second tier feat. In my opinion, Giant Blood is a sufficient tool if that's the tool you have, but it's not the ideal tool. It's not a question of whether someone is literally a descendent of giants; Giant Blood has effects unrelated to what I want to accomplish.  You could totally say Neanderthals are just humans with the Savage or Strong Talents, and their leaders have Giant Blood.

Since the fluff in this case somewhat suggests there is a relationship between leadership and Size, I'm okay with the transformation aspect of the two tier approach. It's also symmetric with other human splinter rate chains which, while not significant, is pleasant.  All of which to say, i do appreciate the feedback, but I'm not convinced.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 04:45:09 AM by pawsplay » Logged
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2013, 11:10:57 AM »

If the size issue is holding others up there's nothing that stops you from making them Large (1x1).

I'd be hard pressed to not classify Shaquille O'Neal or Kareem Abdul-Jabbar as Large, but I'd be equally hard pressed to say they're 2x2.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
pawsplay
Powered By Publisher
Control

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2013, 11:52:18 AM »

If the size issue is holding others up there's nothing that stops you from making them Large (1x1).

I'd be hard pressed to not classify Shaquille O'Neal or Kareem Abdul-Jabbar as Large, but I'd be equally hard pressed to say they're 2x2.

... Large Folk Walker, Athletics X, superior jumper I ... Smiley
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2013, 12:02:24 PM »

Yes, yes.

My point was that Large doesn't have to start at 2x2.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Valentina
Control

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2013, 12:34:24 PM »

Hulking!
Hulking is good.
Hulking is 1x1 1 Reach Large. Gives 1.5x for Wounds and greatly increases Encumbrance without making the person the size of a small car.
I don't know if FC has Hulking, but this could be a good time to bring it back.

"Cui bono?" -Lucius Cassius Longinus Ravilla, 127 BCE.

"Hier stehe ich, ich kann nicht anders" -Martin Luthor, 1483-1546.
Dirigible
Agent

Terror to animal creation

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2013, 03:18:00 PM »

Via the Special Construction species feat for Unborn, it does.

Midnight to Fantasy Craft Conversion. Recent Addition: Skill-Based Magic.
pawsplay