Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2014, 01:58:28 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  Full plate ideas
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Full plate ideas  (Read 1619 times)
paddyfool
Control

View Profile
« on: February 08, 2012, 05:54:01 AM »

I'd like to suggest options to make plate and articulated plate more tempting gear choices in settings where they'd either be fairly ubiquitous or settings where they'd be the outstanding choice for those who can afford them.  This is particularly based on debate where under the standard options they seem to lose out to hardened leather or chainmail as a practical adventurer's choice.  With this in mind, how would these work as optional campaign qualities to pick and choose from, do you think?

Cheap plate (permanent): The price of full plate and articulated plate is halved.

Better plate  I (permanent): The DR of full plate and articulated plate increases by 1.

Better plate II (permanent): The DR of full plate and articulated plate increases by 1, and their DP reduces by 1 (minimum 0).

Faraday suit (permanent): Full plate and articulated plate gain electricity resistance 4.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 10:59:40 AM by paddyfool » Logged
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 09:51:41 AM »

Adventurers don't wear full plate for the same reason beat cops don't wear Interceptor armor with SAPI plates:  The extra protection isn't worth the trouble.  (Needing a battle buddy to armor up is a pain.)

That said, the Faraday cage upgrade sounds cool, and can have some good utility.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
paddyfool
Control

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 10:56:32 AM »

Adventurers don't wear full plate for the same reason beat cops don't wear Interceptor armor with SAPI plates:  The extra protection isn't worth the trouble.  (Needing a battle buddy to armor up is a pain.)

True that, yet the trope of heroes in full plate charging around dungeons is pretty common in the fantasy fiction world, and it wouldn't hurt to have an option to make it more mechanically tempting if that's the feel you're going for.  (If not to the extent of 4e D&D, where in my limited experience it's a no-brainer option for tanks from level 1 onwards).

That said, the Faraday cage upgrade sounds cool, and can have some good utility.

Cool it certainly is:
(click to show/hide)

The fact that full plate (or any full body metal armour which touches the ground) should act at least partially as a kind of Faraday Suit has vaguely bugged me for quite a while visavis the fantasy trope of "lightning goes right through armour".  But I do recognise that that is certainly a mainstream trope, perhaps even the mainstream trope, so this mini-quality may well not suit all gamers.
pawsplay
Powered By Publisher
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 03:56:52 AM »

I've been looking at ways of getting plate armor to characters who start the game at low to medium levels... at level 1 or 3, it's way easier to just take a magic item with the lowest Reputation cost you can find and base it on a suit of plate, than to actually try to acquire plate with silver.
paddyfool
Control

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 06:48:16 AM »

True that.  When I first considered that option, I had the feeling that it was sort-of cheating to spend a little reputation and get gear worth lots of silver for free (and that it would be better to have, say, a gem or tabard of armour enhancement be the magic item itself rather than enchanted armour). 

But the real cost, of course, comes in the fact that it occupies a prize slot... I suppose it's another big YMMV point (if I did allow it, I'd want them to spend at least 10 Rep, and I'd definitely want some kind of cost or complexity cap on upgrades).
Ry74
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 07:21:35 AM »

Another thing is that full plate should probably also have some degree of edged resistance- it was not at all easy to get through those things with swords.
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 09:43:02 AM »

RAW, you can't actually purchase anything worth rep until you have at least 1 rank in Renown, given the cap on purchases is 10 x total Renown.

But Plate as a Rep-only item/Prize actually makes a lot of sense: that stuff was generally speaking the province of the upper classes and their elite minions.

Making it part of a specialty is probably also a good way of handling it -- 3 pts, grants a prize that doesn't count towards your total, 15 rep points of benefit + something else...

glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 09:51:55 AM »

That's why the Battle of Agincourt seemed to be so devastating for the French. They only recorded slain gentry.

Since most of the English dead were commoners, no biggie. 150 dead Knights.

However, the French dead totalled up to between 7 and 10 thousand; the Men-at-Arms were butchered thanks to their heavy plate weighing them down in the mud, and since they included many minor nobles, the casualty figures were just shocking. Just goes to show that even in the era in which it was used, it wasn't really that useful...

Doubtless someone will come along and contradict me now.

VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
paddyfool
Control

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 11:12:11 AM »

Ah, Agincourt.  Nicely controversial - was it 36,000 French against 6,000 English, or 12,000 French against 9,000 English?  That the French had cavalry and (a few) early cannon whereas the English did not is well agreed upon, and that the French had heavier armour (which may have cost them, according to the rain and mud theory) but what exactly went on is a bit woolly.
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 12:25:47 PM »

But what's not controversial is that it's all been down hill from there for the French militarily. Wink

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Agent 333
Control

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 03:47:50 PM »

But what's not controversial is that it's all been down hill from there for the French militarily. Wink

Excuse me, good sir, I believe you are forgetting one Napoleon Boneparte.

When all your problems are nails, all your tools start looking like hammers.
Blankbeard
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 03:58:17 PM »

Maybe this is a situation where stealing from Spycraft/SG-1 is in order.  Give them their choice of equipment bundles.

Penniless Knight
Crude platemail moderate armor
Hide shield
One proficient melee weapon
Fine tunic and pants, old, worn, and poorly patched
A bridle from a long lost mount
A large sack, waterskin, 2 days rations

Deerslayer
Partial leather or padded armor
One proficient bow
30 standard arrows, 5 barbed, 5 flaming, and 5 bird arrows
Hand axe and one proficient knife
Common clothes and good boots
Bedroll, canteen, 7 days rations, 2 hearty meals from last kill
Craft:Carving kit and a handful of carved antler figurines (20 sp if sold)

And such

Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 06:29:54 PM »

Corsican.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Agent 333
Control

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 07:08:54 PM »

Corsican.

One man does not an army make. Most of the soldiers in Napoleon's army were pure blooded French. Plus, Corsica is a French territory, so that argument is invalid  Tongue.

When all your problems are nails, all your tools start looking like hammers.
foproy
Control

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 08:26:42 PM »

Corsican.
One man does not an army make. Most of the soldiers in Napoleon's army were pure blooded French. Plus, Corsica is a French territory, so that argument is invalid  Tongue.
Waterloo? though i gues the same can be said for that kind of expansionism from anyone
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 01:22:57 PM by foproy » Logged

Jesus loves you, he died for your sins. Protoman hates you, he died for them twice. - Anonymous
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: