Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 01, 2014, 02:06:19 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Spycraft 2.0
| | |-+  World on Fire: A Review
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World on Fire: A Review  (Read 23233 times)
Aziraphale
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2008, 09:27:27 AM »

You could also try the Orcs Nest It's 24.59 sterling, Delivery Inclusive.

As a side note, I picked up mine from their actual store while I was there.

The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.
James Nicoll
aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2008, 10:48:26 AM »

Thanks for the tip ! Even if it's in £, it's still much cheaper than anything I've seen before. Thanks a lot !

"I'm gonna get my WoF, I'm gonna get my WoF..."
Antilles
Mastermind
Control

Do I look like a people person?

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2008, 11:02:00 AM »

Have you tried asking your FLGS to order it for you?

"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
Forcegypsy
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2008, 12:57:11 PM »

First of all, congratulations for this great book which I'm eager to get. But then... comes my little concern.

Due to the oddities of international shipping

Does that mean that you also plan to sell World on Fire book abroad? 'Cause it's been like four years it's impossible to find SC 2.0 in any store in France (online or not), and the only way not to get a pdf version (though at a very reasonable price, around 17 euros, due to the euro/dollar change rate) is to order from Amazon where the price is definitely shameful (65 euros, around 100 $ !). So here's my request: could you please schedule shipping some copies of World on Fire (and maybe SC 2.0 revised as well) to France? Or even better, could you also make a deal with Amazon (or any other online store) so that anyone in Europe (and even more) can buy the book at a reasonnable price? I have no idea if it's feasible or problematic, but as many small RPG companies already did it, I guess it's not impossible.

It's not that I don't like the pdf, it's just that I'm an old player who likes the sensation of the paper... Anyway, I hope I'll be able to read World on Fire soon, and if possible on paper. Smiley

You may not be aware, but Crafty does it's print publishing through Mongoose Publishing's Flaming Cobra imprint, a company based in the UK. Here's  a link to their site, Mongoose Publishing: Flaming Cobra. I imagine it would be easier to get your print copies from them directly if you're located in France.

Cha togar m' fhearg gun džoladh.
Ezram
Handler

Ready, Steady, Go

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2008, 04:47:45 AM »

Here's a question: why is it both copies i've seen (The one in store, and the sealed + new one I ordered online) have easily bent corners?  Huh?

Take comfort in knowing you never had a choice.
Nepenthe
Control

High Priest of the Cult of Crafty

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2008, 01:51:02 PM »

Here's a question: why is it both copies i've seen (The one in store, and the sealed + new one I ordered online) have easily bent corners?  Huh?

Because books are like that?

Reapercussions
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2008, 04:34:48 PM »

Our books are printed and shipped from the United Kingdom, so getting them in France should actually be easier than getting them the U.S. In theory. It all boils down to the distributors and retailers. If you'd like it to show up in stores near you and it's not already there, then we ask that you poke the store owner about it. Ideally, he or she would in turn poke their distributor, who would poke Mongoose, and the channel would open.

Amazon is another story. The $100.00 price, if I'm understanding the situation correctly, is for the original AEG printing, which is long out of print and becoming something of a collectible. Those prices aren't actually set by us but by individual consumers who sell through Amazon. Our products - again, as I understand it - haven't yet migrated to Amazon for some reason that eludes both us and Mongoose. We're working on it and hope to have that resolved soon.

In the meantime, again, we ask that you pester your retailer, as it's the best way to get our books flowing regularly into stores. Don't believe them if they say the book isn't available - it is. If they say that, they're refusing to order it rather than not able to. Sometimes you can solve that with persistence; sometimes you just have to prove them wrong (perhaps by ordering it directly from Mongoose and running the game in their store).

Hope that helps!

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2008, 04:36:23 PM »

Those probably got banged up in shipping. It happens.

If you get a copy that's bad enough, contact Mongoose about it.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
Ezram
Handler

Ready, Steady, Go

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2008, 06:43:20 PM »

How very helpful...

I was wondering if it was a bad batch of bindings or a new type of stock they were trying out.

Take comfort in knowing you never had a choice.
Merxiless
Jr. Agent

Control - Joint Operations Group

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2008, 12:09:07 AM »

I got this off Drivethru this evening.

I was torqued off that SC 2.0 listed Master Classes as "Get the book, soon out."

WoF did not fail me.

Great job, guys, My TSSI books go on ebay later this week...I feel SC 2.0 is a complete system for me now.

Control - Joint Operations Group
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2008, 03:27:49 AM »

Ye Gods man, no need to do anything rash like selling perfectly good games into the *Gasp* collectors market.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Nepenthe
Control

High Priest of the Cult of Crafty

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2008, 01:26:49 PM »

How very helpful...

2/2 with shipping damage is not exactly unheard of - that was my point.

Reapercussions
davidstallard
Crafty n00b

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2008, 04:57:27 PM »

Would someone be willing to elaborate on the WoF setting a bit more?  Assume that I know nothing about the CCG, because really I don't outside of the names of the factions...I own a few decks but never really got a chance to play.
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2008, 05:09:04 PM »

Would someone be willing to elaborate on the WoF setting a bit more?  Assume that I know nothing about the CCG, because really I don't outside of the names of the factions...I own a few decks but never really got a chance to play.

A high treatment might be James Bond does the War on Terror as written by J. J. Abrams. What specifically were you interested in or curious about that isn't covered enough for you on the product page?

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
davidstallard
Crafty n00b

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2008, 05:19:57 PM »

I want to know what factions are in the world, how they relate to each other (which ones are good guys, which are villainous, or are they all shades of gray), and also how they relate to the nations of the world.  For instance, is one of them run/funded by the British or American government?  Or do they all exist outside the boundaries of any one nation?

It's surprising to me that there is almost NO information available about the setting, in official text or here in the forums.  Even the setting preview PDFs they've provided don't really convey much at all about the setting.  There is no place I've found that even lists the names of the major factions.  Maybe nobody really cares about the setting and just wants the Tradecraft chapter?  Or maybe there is a false assumption that everybody is already intimate with the setting via the CCG?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: