Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 25, 2014, 06:09:36 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Spycraft 2.0
| | |-+  World on Fire: A Review
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World on Fire: A Review  (Read 24006 times)
TheAuldGrump
Control

Because The Cat Told Me To...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2007, 01:04:44 PM »

Isn't that on the Fallout 3 trailer AuldGrump?
Heh, I believe that it is based on a video that was around about *mumble*forty years ago*mumble* - at least I seem to remember it from way back when. This is updated a bit, but quite recognizable. I am sure that the folk working on the original Fallout also remembered it with, ummm, glowing fondness.

Bethesda finally got permission to use the tune. A friend of mine wanted to know why I found the choice of song so amusing. Smiley

I actually recommend folks poke around YouTube for other Ink Spots videos, they were quite good.

The Auld Grump
*EDIT* I actually thought that it was that long ago video, up until the 'We Will Free The Sh*t Out Of You' poster. Close enough for folk music though. Smiley
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 01:09:53 PM by TheAuldGrump » Logged

I don't know how the story ends...
But I do know what happens next.
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2007, 10:13:13 PM »

I thought all this reviewing meant that the book had hit the street already

TheAuldGrump
Control

Because The Cat Told Me To...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2007, 10:31:30 PM »

I thought all this reviewing meant that the book had hit the street already
Not yet, but I've been checking the site twice a day to see whether the date has been set....

The Auld Grump

I don't know how the story ends...
But I do know what happens next.
Merxiless
Jr. Agent

Control - Joint Operations Group

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2007, 07:50:36 AM »

I'm definitely eager to get this book.

Control - Joint Operations Group
Maldroth
Agent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2007, 11:14:47 AM »

Thought it was out that Nov 30 appears to be the date for WoF and the SP of 2.0
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2007, 11:20:56 AM »

Due to the oddities of international shipping, the release date is somewhat variable depending on where you live. It'll range through the last week of November and the first week of December for both books (Second Printing and World on Fire).

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control

Woot, I got a new hat! :P

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2007, 12:42:09 PM »

Due to the oddities of international shipping, the release date is somewhat variable depending on where you live. It'll range through the last week of November and the first week of December for both books (Second Printing and World on Fire).

*sigh* As much as I want to buy this book (and the second printing SC2.0 book) I can't, yet.  My family pestered me for a Christmas wish-list and these books made it on there.  If I bought them NOW I am not sure I'd make it through the year.  But if Santa decides not to bring them, I shall be going on a hunt of my own early next year.

Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.
urdith
Crafty n00b

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2007, 03:21:06 PM »

Chapter 3: Tradecraft:[/i] (42 pages) Since Iím not sure Iíll be using the default World of Fire setting, this is probably the main background chapter for me, whereas the previous two chapters deal with the fictional, this deals with the real-world. Expanding quite substantially on the tradecraft chapter on the 1st edition of Spycraft we have notes on everything from the lifestyle of spies, tools of the trade (cover IDís, cryptography etc), jargon, notable operations, and more. As a newcomer to the genre, only picking stuff up from around the last year or two of 1st ed Spycraft I can see myself finding this chapter invaluable. The one flaw is that the ĎRecommended Sourcesí section isnít sorted better, while it is divided into Books, Movies & Television, it wouldíve been nice to differentiate between fictional and factual sources, as itís not always obvious from reading the title.

The "Recommended Sources" section of all books is rarely a comprehensive list. I, for example, was very disappointed to see <i>The Sandbaggers</i> not listed amongst TV shows, nor did I see any of Greg Rucka's <i>Queen & Country</i> books or comics listed there. So your mileage may vary.
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2007, 03:38:22 PM »

The one flaw is that the ĎRecommended Sourcesí section isnít sorted better, while it is divided into Books, Movies & Television, it wouldíve been nice to differentiate between fictional and factual sources, as itís not always obvious from reading the title.

Hm. I'll tuck that one away for the next time I build one of those lists. Smiley

The "Recommended Sources" section of all books is rarely a comprehensive list. I, for example, was very disappointed to see <i>The Sandbaggers</i> not listed amongst TV shows, nor did I see any of Greg Rucka's <i>Queen & Country</i> books or comics listed there. So your mileage may vary.

Fair point. There were space constraints, though those two should have wound up on the list, certainly.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 03:42:08 PM by Crafty_Pat » Logged

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

Ezram
Handler

Ready, Steady, Go

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2008, 08:59:40 AM »

Actually, I can't get enough of melee feats - it helps to have options that are balanced enough against firearms and the like. That, and I dig Knife Mastery / Knife Supremacy.

Take comfort in knowing you never had a choice.
famine
Jr. Agent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2008, 05:33:44 PM »

Yeah, I originally picked it up to finish off those feat trees, but I'm slowly being sucked into the rest of it!  I especially liked the part about the different operations that went on.  I kept trying to wow my wife with the different ingenious ways spies pulled something off, but she just told me 'keep your dork speak to yourself!'.  Party pooper.
Ezram
Handler

Ready, Steady, Go

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2008, 09:16:53 PM »

Take comfort in knowing you never had a choice.
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2008, 02:56:43 PM »

Yeah, I originally picked it up to finish off those feat trees, but I'm slowly being sucked into the rest of it!  I especially liked the part about the different operations that went on.  I kept trying to wow my wife with the different ingenious ways spies pulled something off, but she just told me 'keep your dork speak to yourself!'.  Party pooper.

Glad you like. That section was a blast to research and write. Smiley

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2008, 06:04:49 AM »

First of all, congratulations for this great book which I'm eager to get. But then... comes my little concern.

Due to the oddities of international shipping

Does that mean that you also plan to sell World on Fire book abroad? 'Cause it's been like four years it's impossible to find SC 2.0 in any store in France (online or not), and the only way not to get a pdf version (though at a very reasonable price, around 17 euros, due to the euro/dollar change rate) is to order from Amazon where the price is definitely shameful (65 euros, around 100 $ !). So here's my request: could you please schedule shipping some copies of World on Fire (and maybe SC 2.0 revised as well) to France? Or even better, could you also make a deal with Amazon (or any other online store) so that anyone in Europe (and even more) can buy the book at a reasonnable price? I have no idea if it's feasible or problematic, but as many small RPG companies already did it, I guess it's not impossible.

It's not that I don't like the pdf, it's just that I'm an old player who likes the sensation of the paper... Anyway, I hope I'll be able to read World on Fire soon, and if possible on paper. Smiley
OverNinja
Control

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2008, 06:13:44 AM »

Why don't you try ordering from Mongoose directly?

Since they're in UK it's relatively close to France.
The £ to EUR will hurt a bit but not as much as buying direct from Amazon.fr.

"If somebody is worth shooting once, they're worth shooting twice."
"Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: