Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2014, 01:08:16 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  Dryad NPC statblock
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dryad NPC statblock  (Read 691 times)
Gentry
Powered By Publisher
Control

It's a Trap!

View Profile WWW
« on: February 06, 2012, 10:31:24 PM »

I'm working up a Dryad conversion a la the conversion rules in the FC book, and the little minx has a couple of funky abilities that I'm fuzzy on how to port over. So I'll throw the doors open for y'all, thusly:

First, how would/could/should the Dryad's "cannot leave her tree area" restriction be handled? I'm considering modifying the Light-Sensitive or Nocturnal quality to reflect "If she gets X distance from her tree, she suffers X". The OGL mechanics make this penalty ultimately lethal, however, and Nocturnal doesn't do that. Should I care? Is this such a weirdo niche case that it's mostly just fluff and should be written as such with no mechanical cost?

Second, she gets a wad of spell-like abilities, many of which are simple enough to deal with. I wonder about Tree Shape, however, especially since it's at will. Any thoughts on representing this with the actual shapeshifter quality? Shapeshifter II would allow her to turn into a Huge tree (and I can match the mechanics of the tree listed in the spell pretty easily). Or should I just go with Natural Spell: Concealing Countryside and/or the Chameleon quality?

I'm a secret VAO Control (Shh!)

Check out Wyrmstone for FC Open Source campaigning

Have you joined Knife Rights yet?

Live and game in Flyover Country? Join Tornado Alley Game Guil
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 10:48:39 PM »

Do you expect the tree thing to come up as something more than the PCs having to rescue her to prevent it?

If not, it's fluff.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 10:51:07 PM »

I think the tree dependance is mostly fluff (though my Lawful Asshole spellcaster did killed a few with teleportation spells, just because he could) so I wouldn't worry about mechanics overmuch.  For Tree Shape I'd use Shapeshifter.
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 03:42:35 AM »

I'd handle dryads by making them immobile and giving them, say reach 10

Gentry
Powered By Publisher
Control

It's a Trap!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 07:54:56 PM »

I'm also considering how to deal with the Dryad's d20 Charm Person and Suggestion powers. I'm liking the use of the Beguiling quality to represent the distraction potential of the SRD version. I'm considering modeling something a little more in the compulsion vein, however. I could go Natural Spell: Command, but then it's once a scene, and this tactic is the mainstay of the Dryad's combat tactics.

I wonder if there's room to create a Beguiling III, which allows the beguiler to give beguiled targets move-action commands a la the Command spell, in addition to the basic fixation and the step-up "damage you once" ability. How should I spitball the cost of such a thing? 6 points is feeling reasonable to me, but I admit I've got no real case to back it up. Thoughts?

I'm a secret VAO Control (Shh!)

Check out Wyrmstone for FC Open Source campaigning

Have you joined Knife Rights yet?

Live and game in Flyover Country? Join Tornado Alley Game Guil
pawsplay
Powered By Publisher
Control

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 04:21:10 AM »

Making them spellcasters and giving them Command and spell secret seems like a good way to go.
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 04:22:48 AM »

This was a PL dryad I came up with for a rootwalker vanguard captain:

(click to show/hide)

Blankbeard
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 10:12:59 AM »

THat would work.  What kind of commands are you needing to issue?  Depending on your players Disposition (Charm Person V Smiley ) Persuade checks and offered action dice can cover a lot.  Beguiling can be ignored for an action die as well.

Assuming you're not letting them spend action dice to ignore beguiling, make your dryad a love bomber.  Give her the aggro chain with beguiling and let her fixate the PC's and then enrage one.  Add in Command to move PC's around.

Possible defensive charm simulations that occur to me are "He did it," no more games for that mind cloud effect, and maybe the bloodsworn's Harm's Way and Bloodbound abilities although with the places reversed so the dryad can have a fixated PC take a hit for her.  Staggering Pronouncement from Repartee Supremacy might be useful as well.

Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 10:49:33 AM »

Also, the Geas spell.

Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 01:20:57 PM »

I'm also considering how to deal with the Dryad's d20 Charm Person and Suggestion powers. I'm liking the use of the Beguiling quality to represent the distraction potential of the SRD version. I'm considering modeling something a little more in the compulsion vein, however. I could go Natural Spell: Command, but then it's once a scene, and this tactic is the mainstay of the Dryad's combat tactics.

I wonder if there's room to create a Beguiling III, which allows the beguiler to give beguiled targets move-action commands a la the Command spell, in addition to the basic fixation and the step-up "damage you once" ability. How should I spitball the cost of such a thing? 6 points is feeling reasonable to me, but I admit I've got no real case to back it up. Thoughts?

As written, the SRD dryad can only charm 3 times a day, and suggest once.

Of course, RAW FC's charm spells are largely useless due to that "must share a type" limitation that I hope to god is outright dropped come Spellbound, or at least modified by key off studies in some fashion

Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 01:41:28 PM »

Quick and dirty house rule. Use the medicine modifiers.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Gentry