Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2014, 02:04:54 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  Mistborn Adventure Game: Fluid Feruchemy
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mistborn Adventure Game: Fluid Feruchemy  (Read 906 times)
EmpactWB
Recruit

View Profile
« on: January 30, 2012, 03:13:21 AM »

There were really neat effects accomplished by sudden changes in the traits of a Feruchemist or Ferring in the books, and I wanted to bring those into play. So I was mildly frustrated that in the rules as written, one couldn't store and tap more fluidly than by the hour. Further, it didn't seem fair to have a Feruchemist take a penalty for storing throughout an interruption without gaining any benefit from storing. However, micromanaging storages could easily become a pain in the keister, and making it too permissive could inflate the power of Feruchemists, unbalancing the game.

To me, the first challenge would be to figure out how to adapt Beats to a manageable time system. Fortunately, Crafty provided us with a chart on p443 that shows recommended Beat lengths. The shortest, a combat round, is 5 seconds, so we never need to go shorter than that.

Next up is the problem of time management. You have a minimum 5-second window; why should that 5 seconds provide enough benefit for a week-long march? It shouldn't. Conversion might be a pain, so I attempted a shorthand notation below.

Alteration 1: Consumed or stored Charges are Beat-length specific; a 10 minute Beat consumes 10 minutes worth storage for each Charge used.
Alteration 2: Feruchemists may start or stop storing at the end of any given Beat-length, to a minimum of 5 seconds. They may store a number of Beat-length Charges per Beat-length equal to their rating in the metal.
Alteration 3: During Long Breathers, a Feruchemist can store a number of days equal to twice their rating in the metal for every 3 days that pass. (EXCEPTION: They may store a number of days equal to the time that passes for Wakefulness, since they can store in a Bronzemind while sleeping.)
Alteration 4: During Short Breathers, a Feruchemist can store Charges as usual for the length of time.
Alteration 5: Storage Capacity - Small metalminds hold up to 25 5-second charges; Average metalminds hold up to 100 1-minute charges; Large metalminds hold up to 200 1-hour charges; Huge metalminds hold up to 500 1-day charges. (NOTE: I'm aware that these numbers are still way too low for canon effects such as Wax's years of weight or Sazed's speed-walk to Luthadel, but I'm hesitant to go any higher for Small and Average objects.)

To keep track of Charges,  I made some note-card formats. Originally these were for another game system, so the formatting is somewhat wider than it needs to be when you only have four sizes to deal with (instead of a numberical size value), but they should work fairly well.
Code:
Metal:  __________________ Item:   ________________________
Size:   Small_____________ Trait:  ________________________
1 Min: [][]
5 Sec: [][][]              20 sec: [][]
Code:
Size:   Average___________ Trait:  ________________________
1 Hr:  []
1 Min: [][][][][][][][][]  10 Min: [][][][][]
Code:
Size:   Large_____________ Trait:  ________________________
Day:   [][][][][][]        Week:   []
1 Hr:  [][][][][]          6 Hr:   [][][]
Code:
Size:   Huge______________ Trait:  ________________________
Season:[][][]              Year:   []
Day:   [][][][][][]        Week:   [][][][][][][][][][][]
1 Hr:  [][][][][]          6 Hr:   [][][]

EXAMPLE: Damosi needs to store Strength to defeat his arch-nemesis, that freaking pickle jar! He has Physique 4 and Pewter 4, so he can store 3 Charges per Beat. The Narrator decides that opening pickle jars can work in 5-second beats, so Damosi stores as much as possible in the first Beat.

Code:
Metal:  Pewter____________ Item:   Ring____________________
Size:   Small_____________ Trait:  Strength________________
5 Sec: [x][x][x]           20 sec: [][]

Damosi's first attempt to open the pickles didn't go so well, so this time he taps one Charge to attempt to open it. The pickle jar responds with a demoralizing insinuation about Damosi's mother and the breeding program, and Damosi fails to leverage it open.

Code:
5 Sec: [x][x][]            20 sec: [][]

Damosi spends another Beat storing up all he can. The pickle jar looks at him smugly.

Code:
5 Sec: [x][][]             20 sec: [x][]

Damosi spends five charges to wrench open the pickle jar. In a last spiteful display, it shatters, cutting his hand open and leaving glass shards in the pickles! Damosi touches his gold bracer to see how much health he has stored.

Code:
Metal:  Gold______________ Item:   Bracer__________________
Size:   Average___________ Trait:  Health__________________
1 Hr:  [x]
1 Min: [][][][][][][][][]  10 Min: [x][x][x][x][x]

The pickles are a little too crunchy for his taste, but Damosi will be tapping 5 charges of health to take care of that hand.

Code:
Metal:  Gold______________ Item:   Bracer__________________
Size:   Average___________ Trait:  Health__________________
1 Hr:  [x]
1 Min: [x][x][x][x][x][x][x][x][x]  10 Min: [x][x][x][x][]
5 Sec: [x][x][]                     20 sec: [x][]

He reminds himself that with great power comes great chances for a very painful end, and goes to buy more pickles.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 03:14:57 AM by EmpactWB » Logged

Aminar
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 05:10:06 PM »

I like this idea, but I'm against making a full ruleset for it.  Instead I just play things by ear with my feruchemist PC.  Granted not every GM can manage that, but as a storybased system I feel the rules are really guidelines I can choose to let the players break when it makes sense. 

I do things like tell the Feruchemist-For three speed charges and two strength you can building hop well enough to keep up with the mistborn and coinshot.  That method works much better in my mind, but it requires work.

The only place I just stick to the rules is combat.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: