Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2014, 04:49:06 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Play-by-Post
| | |-+  The Long Road: IC
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Long Road: IC  (Read 8266 times)
Jigger
Jr. Agent
**
Posts: 75



View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2012, 10:52:49 PM »

Quote
Quickly formulating a plan Grandmother cackles, and climbs off her wagon. “If we can't come in stealthy, will come in loud. A target we will be.”.

She starts shouting at the teamsters and quickly organizes them to decorate Vashkars wagon with bits from the trade good boxes.

Soon, brightly colored beads dangle and fake potion bottles hang from the roof. Shiny metal pots hang off the sides clanging as the wagon rolls, while lit lanterns hang off the front. “There, either we'll be a show or a target. Either way, they'll see us, and not the rest of the caravan.”.

Hiding the Doom Box amoung the shinny bits on the running board, Grandmother climbs back on the drivers seat, and starts to drive the wagon forward. Turning to the teamsters she shouts, “We'll use the lanterns for signalling if its safe, and fire bombs if it isnt't. If you see the lanterns break, we're under attack, you wont be able to out run them, so I recommend you get the bows ready and whittle them down before they get close.”.

Kicking the oxen into motion she chortles, “Now come along pretty ones, we have a village to impress. Vash, be ready to come out if we need you, one way or another. Bollo, stay at the back of the wagon and drop underneithe as we arrive, that we you can make an appearance or ambush if need be. The lanterns in the front should dazzle their eyes and give you extra cover. Kieri have you flute ready deary. Start playing once we're in ear shot. I want them focusing on us and not the sky, because I'm going to send a shadow to scout once we're a quarter mile out or so.”

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 09:50:59 PM by Jigger » Logged

What the blex are you starring at berk? Are you going to rattle your bone box or just keep piking around?
Fiendbasher
Agent
***
Posts: 199


Good ≠ Nice


View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2012, 11:39:54 PM »

Vashkar pokes his head out the wagon's front door when he hears the ruckus around outside it... when he sees it's Grandmother, he narrows his eyes and watches her bustle around, wondering what she's up to. Upon hearing her plan he simply snorts, and closes the door. If he objected, he'd surely make a much louder and more obvious protest.

Inside, he takes to getting his bow and arrows ready, and checks his oil pots. He leaves the door wedged open just a crack, the better to hear what is taking place outside.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 11:42:28 PM by Fiendbasher » Logged

"I knew you were going to say that..."
Mister Andersen
Control
******
Posts: 10777


I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know


View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2012, 05:04:35 PM »

Killishandra waves the away team off. "Good luck. Try not to get killed too much, yes? It look bad if you bleed out before the rest of us arrive and I can shove your guts back inside your terribly mutilated bodies."
Logged

Antilles
Mastermind
Control
*****
Posts: 2936


Do I look like a people person?


View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2012, 02:42:10 PM »

As Bolo and Kieri head for the village, Kaze quietly sidles up alongside them, quiet little smile on his lips and arms folded inside the long sleeves of his robe. Any inquiries are simply met with a quiet "I will accompany you.", otherwise he walks on in silence. He seems quite set on accompanying the pair, it seems likely the monk's in one of his annoyingly stubborn streaks.
Logged

"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
Catodon
Control
******
Posts: 1946



View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2012, 05:21:56 AM »

As you approach the village you see it is by far the largest you have encountered so far. As well as the domed houses of skin and whale bone there is a great building also covered in oiled skins, but twice as high and three times longer; a great hall perhaps for a cold king. Figures go about their business: smoking meats, butchering seals, mending rooves. Even the children seem hard at work. The people are covered in volumous parkas and hide trews, but even so must be thick set benethe. At this distance men and women are indistinguishable in this garb.
As you approach through the ochre light of the fading sun one figure blows a high-pitched bone whistle, and is soon joined by a large group armed with ivory tipped harpoons. You are still about a quarter mile from the village.
The figure with the bone whistle greets you in an unknown language and places his harpoon and stone knife on the ground with great ceremony. You notice, though, that 10’ behind him his companions remain ready to cast their weapons. The figure draws back his fur lined hood to reveal a foreign face, a tanned broad faced man in his 20’s with snow white hair and ivory eyes shading to blue like blocks of glacial ice. Further back a child is leading two bent figures by the hand.
The old men approach, and lay ivory knives on the snow and draw back hoods to reveal eyes of ice set in leathered faces. One speaks.
“I...was Tenloowaq, he Aytenserk…Jarl. I hear for him. You have... gifts?”
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 05:51:24 AM by Catodon » Logged

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
Jigger
Jr. Agent
**
Posts: 75



View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2012, 11:28:01 PM »

Quote
"Not enough time for a shadow, time to put my face on."

(click to show/hide)

Quote
As the villagers approach, Grandmother quickly chants out her favorite spell, but in her haste she some how fumbles the words. Her features grow dark and shadowy for a second, but then slip back to her gobbly self.

"Rumo vugok krod! Dr' kutk un' sudr'nm'kk kuudk du unk' s' uk kur!", she snarls in goblin.

Falling back in her seat, and tries to cover her face with her hood and, tips back a large bottle of rot gut, in an attempt to sooth her pride.

Coughing and gagging under her hood, she offers the bottle to Kieri. "Here give him this. If he doesn't like it as a gift, maybe he'll be too drunk to get angry.".
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 09:49:13 PM by Jigger » Logged

What the blex are you starring at berk? Are you going to rattle your bone box or just keep piking around?
foproy
Control
******
Posts: 2526


View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2012, 02:27:49 AM »

"i am bolo, and i hear for my group. we are but humble entertainers, so we do not have much for gifts. however we will gladly reagil you with tail and song" bolo says with a low sweeping bow. " also we come with a word of warning and an offer of assistance in something which would prove quite dire for your tribe."

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 04:15:00 PM by foproy » Logged

Jesus loves you, he died for your sins. Protoman hates you, he died for them twice. - Anonymous
Mister Andersen
Control
******
Posts: 10777


I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know


View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2012, 02:41:38 AM »

Killishandra nudges the teamster sitting next to her jovially in the ribs "Do you think they're dead yet?"
Logged

Catodon
Control
******
Posts: 1946



View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2012, 02:52:27 AM »

Back at the caravan.
The grizzled teamster, Hakon, “Ha, nar, I hear they eats you alive. I expect we’ll hear the screamin’ any time now”. Hakon winks then glances at another of the teamsters, the nervous looking young Wilem.

Meanwhile across the snow
The old men seem to bicker in their own odd language for a bit while the younger folk keep harpoons levelled at you. Only the child smiles shyly.
“Songs good but this not fat south. You fight raiders? Raiders from sea” he gestures at the icesheet. “Fight …raiders? Winter here? Trade …food … heat. Camp there” he gestures at a flat area just outside village Yes?
With that he turns and heads back with the other elder lead by the child. The hunters lower their weapons but stay nearby.
(click to show/hide)

Logged

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
foproy
Control
******
Posts: 2526


View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2012, 08:47:47 AM »

"we appreciate your generosity, and we would be happy to assist you with your raider trouble." bolo replies replacing his wide brimmed traveling hat back on his head. " i do ask that you understand that we are quite a motley group and a couple of us can be quite startling when you first see them.
Logged

Jesus loves you, he died for your sins. Protoman hates you, he died for them twice. - Anonymous
Fiendbasher
Agent
***
Posts: 199


Good ≠ Nice


View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2012, 02:46:24 PM »

From the wagon... parked judiciously far enough back to give Kieri and Bolo plenty of space but close enough for Grandmother's magic or Vashkar's might to reach them should trouble break out.... the draku peers out through the part in the heavy curtains of the wagon's front door window. From where he is, he can't quite make out what is being said, but things seem to be going as well as could be expected.

Perhaps better than he would have expected... but that was part of Vashkar's job after all, as a warrior, to be prepared for the worst. In his search for others, he'd visited tribes of lizardfolk whose idea of trade involved two tribes sending out bands of warriors with the goods they wished to exchange. When they met, they would first size each other up. If one side appeared weaker than the other, then the stronger band would simply attack and take what they wanted. If they were evenly matched, then they would begin negotiations. Though these were not lizardfolk but humans, in his travels he'd learned that humans had no less capacity for violence and ruthlessness.

That didn't resemble at all what was happening here, however. There was no posturing, and it was not likely a potential war band would bring younglings along. The warriors had lowered their weapons... but Vashkar wasn't about to lower his guard yet, as long as they were still there. If a display of force was to be required, he would be ready to provide it.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 02:59:43 PM by Fiendbasher » Logged

"I knew you were going to say that..."
Catodon
Control
******
Posts: 1946



View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2012, 02:47:26 PM »

The old man calls over his shoulder "South Volk all strange. No Trolls No ogre no wrym" then resumes his bickering with the old 'Jarl' as they walk away.
Logged

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
Mister Andersen
Control
******
Posts: 10777


I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know


View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2012, 04:11:15 PM »

A disappointed sigh escapes Killishandra's lips in a gushing cloud of vapour. "It would appear that our comrades are... are..." she stumbles looking for the word she wants in this foreign tongue. "Ah, yes, boringly unharmed. Come Hakon, take us to their fires and their meat, yes? Before the tiny ones steal it all for themselves."

The daunting woman never seems to mind the cold, but being innured to something is quite different to liking it.
Logged

Antilles
Mastermind
Control
*****
Posts: 2936


Do I look like a people person?


View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2012, 03:53:40 PM »

Kaze watches the exchange silently, offering no comment nor speaking up for the group. He takes an extra long glance at the boy, noticing his curiosity. As the elders slowly walk back towards the village, Kaze leans forward and comments to his companions with that every-present half-smile on his lips "What a pleasant group. I think this stay will be interesting." Having said his piece, he turns around and returns to the caravan.
Logged

"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
Catodon
Control
******
Posts: 1946



View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2012, 02:36:10 AM »

The hunters with their harpoons trail you as you approach the flat bit of snow-covered ground near the village. They gasp and grip their harpoons when Varshkar emerges and look warily at the armed Killishandra, but as you begin to set up camp on the hard frozen ground they begin to peel away. Until there is one.
The ice people have no crops nor beasts, not even dogs, and their world seems near devoid of life yet they seem healthy and have a sleek fatness to them. On this first night when you sit down to hard tack and jerky softened in melted snow you can smell roasted meats in the village.
In the days to come you notice there is always a couple of pairs of ice-block eyes on you. Sometimes hunters but more often white eyed children during the day and leathery elders at night, people too young or too old for other duties.
(click to show/hide)
Logged

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  


Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!