Author Topic: The Long Road: IC  (Read 15162 times)

Catodon

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 1948
  • AKA: Coronoides
    • View Profile
    • Gulliver's Trading Company RPG
Re: The Long Road: IC
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2012, 01:45:57 AM »
Grandmother can see the village is close is on a slight rise but not enough to be defensive. It is open to approaches by land and sea. Whoever the Ice People are they sure arn't soldiers. The village is only about 20' from the iced over sea.
The house, while by the standards of the South might be called tents, were heavy tents of thick hide and whale bones wieghed down and wind shielded by walls of un-morted rock. They could be moved by only with great effort.

As to where the attackers came from or where the people fled to she gleans no clues from the lay of the land.
"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
Also check out RPG Review:
http://rpgreview.net

Jigger

  • Jr. Agent
  • **
  • Posts: 75
    • View Profile
Re: The Long Road: IC
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2012, 08:02:56 AM »
“Over there.”, she says pointing to the small ridge. “It's not much cover, but the only one that would conceal an approach. They probably struck at night, started from down-wind, so not to disturb any animals.”

“Unless of course they used magic. In which case all bets are off.”, she says cackling.

Bending over the fire to light her pipe, she tosses on a few bits of the old camp as kindling.

“We can make camp here if you like, but this is a hunters camp, only good for getting to the sea, not good for much else. But at least its already built, so half the work is done for us. Unless the lizard spots something better from the air, I say we stay here. My @#$% hurts, and my feet are cold.”, she says  warming herself fire.

Spoiler: Action • show
Time to renew, her Endure Enviroment spell.
Spell Casting DC 13.
1d20+9=17


Continuing to mutter to herself, she shakes her bone bag, while she continues to squat by the fire.
What the blex are you starring at berk? Are you going to rattle your bone box or just keep piking around?

Fiendbasher

  • Operative
  • ****
  • Posts: 324
  • Good ≠ Nice
    • View Profile
Re: The Long Road: IC
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2012, 04:36:26 PM »
Once sufficiently satisfied that he's seen all there is of significance to see in the immediate area, Vashkar returns. He comes gliding down quietly, and once nearing the ground, sweeps his wings in broad strokes to slow his descent. Gracefully he touches down his taloned feet in the center of the ruined village. Folding his wings once again tightly over his back he then walks stiffly over to the fire, and inspects the stones he left close to the flames. He checks each to make sure they are sufficiently warm-- but not too hot-- before returning them to the folds and pockets of his clothing, where they will seep warmth back to his vulnerable extremities.

While turning the stones over he grumbles, "Nothing alive seen for miles above ice or water. If who lived here escaped, the wind has taken their tracks. Raiders surely come from water. No boats to see... Long gone now."
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 05:56:13 PM by Fiendbasher »
"I knew you were going to say that..."

LordKruelos

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 1028
    • View Profile
Re: The Long Road: IC
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2012, 11:16:02 AM »
(What do we know about the local geography? Do we have a map that covers a day or more's journey in every direction?)

Kieri Vane

http://www.crafty-games.com/index.php?q=content/kieri-vane

Quote
“There are no bodies, so someone cleaned up. Those that didn't get taken for food or slavery, probably fled with what ever the carry, and from the look of it, that wasn't much. At least they're efficient amateurs”.

"So they encountered little resistance? And the dead had no chance to flee?"

While turning the stones over he grumbles, "Nothing alive seen for miles above ice or water. If who lived here escaped, the wind has taken their tracks. Raiders surely come from water. No boats to see... Long gone now."

"No bodies in the sea camp bodes ill. I can only be grateful of the stout hearts of my companions, but the folk here may want higher ground and safety, and perhaps some few might lay in wait to see what can be seen come nightfall?"

"If they came from the sea, can we tell if they came at night?
If they came at night, can we please get the hells off this beach to somewhere more defensible where whatever comes from the sea in the night and steals away whole villages at least has to tell us it's coming."

 
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 02:22:05 PM by LordKruelos »

Fiendbasher

  • Operative
  • ****
  • Posts: 324
  • Good ≠ Nice
    • View Profile
Re: The Long Road: IC
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2012, 01:00:58 PM »
Quote
If they came at night, can we please get the hells off this beach to somewhere more defensible where whatever comes from the sea in the night and steals away whole villages at least has to tell us it's coming.

"Fire does not return to what has been burned to ash."
The draconian's clawed fingers pop audibly as he flexes them, encouraging his blood to flow back into stiffened joints.

"Away from water would be good. But protection from wind is important." He sweeps a hand toward the walls built up near the huts. "Especially for the beasts. There is a cliff distant. Perhaps we could reach before night. But if not... find a hill, make wall of wagons."
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 06:18:18 PM by Fiendbasher »
"I knew you were going to say that..."

Mister Andersen

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 12222
  • I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know
    • View Profile
Re: The Long Road: IC
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2012, 01:44:31 PM »
"You forget, most people can't see in dark as well as we can," Killishandra reminds Vashkar as she walks behind him, leading one of the unhitched shaggy oxen by its nose ring into the makeshift stable -- clearly, the decision to camp here has already been made. "They don't want to pitch camp in the dark. Cleared out village less scary, yes?"

Jigger

  • Jr. Agent
  • **
  • Posts: 75
    • View Profile
Re: The Long Road: IC
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2012, 08:00:55 PM »
“Good its decided then.”, she squawks.

Turning to the teamsters, “We'll make camp here!”.

“Set up outside the village. Use the rock walls as a shield against the wind, but keep out of the tents proper.... We don't know how supersticious the locals are yet. They make take offense at sleeping in a building that someones died in.”.

“Besides, I dont want to find out, what creepy lonely kind of ghost might make this sort place it's home.”, she says throwing a hex sign at the tents.

“Now if you excuse me, I have some hexing to do”. Limping a bit from the long ride and still rubbing her ass, she trundles around behind the camp site to start drawing a hex mark on the ground.

Spoiler: Action • show

Spell Casting:1d20+9 DC:16
“CONTROL WEATHER”
Cost: 1mp Duration: 24 hours Area: 600ft radius.
Desired Effect: Nice weather, clear skies.

1d20+9=19

The spell will only take seconds to cast, but she'll milk it to keep from working as long as she can.



"'otk km''b, nuok to', g''b uun okrdk bm'ukud, un 'mk'!", she chants as she draws the mark on the ground.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 08:51:18 PM by Jigger »
What the blex are you starring at berk? Are you going to rattle your bone box or just keep piking around?

Fiendbasher

  • Operative
  • ****
  • Posts: 324
  • Good ≠ Nice
    • View Profile
Re: The Long Road: IC
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2012, 09:09:04 PM »
The dragonman just grunts in reply to Killishandra's statement, and squats by the fire to make himself more comfortable. As cold as it is, once he's parked himself in this manner he can't be arsed to move for quite some time, anyway.

"I will take a watch when dark comes," he croaks.

He looses his wings from his cloak, mantling them around the small fire, the better to soak up even more heat. Although the scent of smoke from a burning dung heap doesn't give him a flattering odor, the activity does wonders to improve his mood. After some time has passed, he curls up between the hut and the fire, covering himself almost entirely with his cloak-- only the beaked tip of his snout pokes out. With polearm haft tucked beneath an arm and his neck resting across it, he strives to catch a quick cat-nap in the meantime.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 09:18:42 PM by Fiendbasher »
"I knew you were going to say that..."

Catodon

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 1948
  • AKA: Coronoides
    • View Profile
    • Gulliver's Trading Company RPG
Re: The Long Road: IC
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2012, 11:50:05 PM »
Spoiler: Hocus • show

Grandmother: make a bluff roll to beat 12 to fool the hired help. PC can roll sense motive to see through the act if they want


Scene 1: The lure of the north
Despite the nervousness of some in the caravan the dark hours pass without incident. You can’t be sure how long you have slept, it is dark so long that your days must begin and end in darkness. By unspoken agreement you slowly rouse and take a meagre breakfast. You were told the far north was a land of ice but you did not really understand it until you were here. It has been days since you saw an animal and there is no wild forage for the horses. Everyone, man and beast, is on rationing. You travel north nurturing hope. A few hours and the sun skims the horizon then vanishes. As the orange glow fades from the sky your heart leaps as to the north you see a twinkle of yellow lights. Out there in the distance is a living village you should reach it in an hour or so.
Spoiler: show

How are you approaching the village? All together? Send an envoy ahead? Who is visible who is hidden in the wagon? Any other preparations? Etc

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
Also check out RPG Review:
http://rpgreview.net

LordKruelos

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 1028
    • View Profile
Re: The Long Road: IC
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2012, 02:37:57 PM »
Kieri Vane


"Think they're friendly?" stamping her feet in the cold "I mean properly friendly, or maybe just the kind of friendly that turns all nasty-like on you in the middle of the night."

Fiendbasher

  • Operative
  • ****
  • Posts: 324
  • Good ≠ Nice
    • View Profile
Re: The Long Road: IC
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2012, 02:54:14 PM »
From his perch atop one of the wagons, Vashkar replies to Kieri's question, "Hard land breeds hard people. The kind that leave their elders to die when they are no longer productive." A cloud of condensed breath drifts from under his hood as he speaks.

"If we prove more worth than we're trouble, they may be friendly. If not, they will want not a shadow of us on their threshold."

Hopefully he is simply being overly pessimistic, which seems to be one of his habits.

In anticipation of drawing near enough to be spotted, he clambers to the back of the wagon he's riding on and lets himself in, disappearing inside. There he'll stay... until he is sure his appearance will not cause trouble, or his appearance is needed to put an end to some trouble, whichever comes up first.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 03:01:09 PM by Fiendbasher »
"I knew you were going to say that..."

Jigger

  • Jr. Agent
  • **
  • Posts: 75
    • View Profile
Re: The Long Road: IC
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2012, 07:33:51 AM »
BLUFF CHECK FROM THE PREVIOUS NIGHT
Spoiler: Bluff Check • show
Grandmother traces her powders while chanting the old goblin drinking song, to cover actions.

Ur, un-G'kr 'uk u Kupmo pumt,
u kupmo pumt 'uk kr'.
R' 'uk vumm uv von', vun dr' bon',
vumm uv von' 'uk kr'.
Kr' vuut u vo'mt, u 'no kn'' vo'mt,
kr' vuut u vo'mt tot kr'.
Ut drud vo'mt, od rut u Duug,
ut drud Duug ''mm duug kr' ...

Ku duukd drud uug,
Kupmo uug,
Duukd drud uug vun '' ...

Ku dug' drud tnus,
uv dr' suud't tus,
u tnus uv von' vun dr''.

Tu', tu', tu', tu' ....


Spoiler: Action • show

Bluff 1d20+5
1d20+5=25

"Wow, even she believes she's working hard."

For those who speak Goblin, you can pretty much figure out the truth.

"Oh, Nar-Kesh was a Goblin bold,
a goblin bold was she.
She was full of fire, for the pyre,
full of fire was she.
She found a field, a very green field,
she found a field did she.
And that field, it had a cook,
and that cook well took she ...

So toast that cook,
Goblin cook,
Toast that cook for we ...

So take that dram,
of the mounted damn,
a dram of fire for thee.

Down, down, down, downnnnnnn ...."

She makes a point of imbibing a sip of sacramental wine at the end of round of chanting.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 08:08:47 AM by Jigger »
What the blex are you starring at berk? Are you going to rattle your bone box or just keep piking around?

Jigger

  • Jr. Agent
  • **
  • Posts: 75
    • View Profile
Re: The Long Road: IC
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2012, 08:07:42 AM »
"Has to put his face, on he does. Don't worry he'll be ready in the clench, always is.", Grandmother notes as Vash takes to his wagon.

"We should send the pretty ones ahead. While the main wagons stick back out of charge distance. Kiere could soothe their worries, and Killishandra could crush their skulls. I can scrye from back here, or come along. I'll have to put my face on if I do though.".
What the blex are you starring at berk? Are you going to rattle your bone box or just keep piking around?

LordKruelos

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 1028
    • View Profile
Re: The Long Road: IC
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2012, 02:30:51 PM »
"Has to put his face, on he does. Don't worry he'll be ready in the clench, always is.", Grandmother notes as Vash takes to his wagon.

"We should send the pretty ones ahead. While the main wagons stick back out of charge distance. Kiere could soothe their worries, and Killishandra could crush their skulls. I can scrye from back here, or come along. I'll have to put my face on if I do though.".

Kieri Vane

http://www.crafty-games.com/index.php?q=content/kieri-vane

Slipping a flute from her sleeve, Kieri puts on her most flirtatious busking pout, nodding first to Killishandra then back to the caravan "Are you coming, Bolo?"

Without waiting for an answer, Kieri moves toward the village, but once out of sight of the caravan, the bravado disappears and she moves quietly until she catches sight of the village, taking caution to identify the first lookout.

When her companions give her the signal, Kieri will strike out into the open, playing a stone flute right into the village.
Spoiler: "Impress" • show

She crushed this.

27
d20 19
Impress (O) +8
Minimum  *20 + Courtier level (1) unless error


foproy

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 2623
    • View Profile
Re: The Long Road: IC
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2012, 04:06:34 PM »
bolo, after getting dressed is standing staring off into space when he hears his name called"HUH WHAT? oh yes, let us depart. he says following after the other in the group he checks his hiding job and hopes that it will do.

Spoiler: prestidigitation • show
to hide his weapons
1d20+10=20
should be difficult to beat.
Jesus loves you, he died for your sins. Protoman hates you, he died for them twice. - Anonymous