Author Topic: The Long Road: IC  (Read 11666 times)

foproy

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 2615
    • View Profile
Re: The Long Road: IC
« Reply #135 on: May 30, 2012, 11:27:23 PM »
Quote
i think i would rather keep the ground under my feet thank you very much. its just a solid ice wall, shouldnt be too tough to climb.
Jesus loves you, he died for your sins. Protoman hates you, he died for them twice. - Anonymous

Antilles

  • Mastermind
  • Control
  • *****
  • Posts: 3645
  • Do I look like a people person?
    • View Profile
Re: The Long Road: IC
« Reply #136 on: May 31, 2012, 02:02:45 AM »
Kaze nods at Grandmother's suggestion. "I can go first. I don't carry much gear, so I shouldn't burden the spirits overly.
"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
Mortality clarified in a single strike!

Mister Andersen

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 11924
  • I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know
    • View Profile
Re: The Long Road: IC
« Reply #137 on: May 31, 2012, 05:26:59 AM »
Killishandra snorts in bemusement. "I think you undrestimate your own power, Grandmother," she says, clapping the crone on the back. "Just get me and a rope up there, and I'll get the rest of you up there real quite like."

Catodon

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 1946
    • View Profile
    • Gulliver's Trading Company RPG
Re: The Long Road: IC
« Reply #138 on: June 05, 2012, 01:27:24 PM »
Killishandra takes Bolo’s offered rope.
Grandmother mutters and curses in the tongue of her people and Killishandra begins to rise. Cold radiates from the cracked dry surface of the cliff. Alighting gently she plants her feet. The snow on the ledge is trodden down into a hard firm surface on the southern side. Form within the cave radiates flickering orange light and the round vowels and hard consonants of deep voices argueing in the tongue of the ice people. Vashkar lands beside her and between them the others are half dragged half climb up to the ledge One after another the travellers emerge out of the dark and quietly take their place on the narrow ledge. As the last is hauled up a woman’s voice rings out a short defiant phrase.
Spoiler: show
 
I have positioned you on the ledge as follows there is only room for single file. Killishandra still has one end of the rope in her hand thebulk of the rope is over the edge. You are all on one side of the cave though. Only Vashkar can start on the other side or just about anywhere outside of the cave. Are you happy with these starting positions? If not give the grid reference of where you’d rather be.
Note: I’m using some different miniatures to represent everyone

Vashkar
Killishandrau   
Kaze
Bolo
Grandmother
Kieri
What are you going to do next now that you are all up?


P1020384 by Coronoides, on Flickr


P1020386 by Coronoides, on Flickr



"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1

LordKruelos

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 1028
    • View Profile
Re: The Long Road: IC
« Reply #139 on: June 06, 2012, 07:02:52 AM »
Kieri Vane

Does Kieri understand any of the words being spoken?

I'd like to ask for my Free Hint from the GM now (or get a bonus AD)
While waiting to come up the rope, Kieri will use Encouragement on 1 ally (whoever asks for it) to grant them +1 morale bonus with saving throws until the end of the current scene.

As a support character, Kieri's contribution is likely some combination of:
- Taunt/Beguiling on 1 target to have them fixated for 1d6 rounds
- Be a flanking partner so a teammate can get Sneak Attack dice
- Use En Garde! (Fencing Blade Total Defense Trick) to provide some area control against targets moving into adjacent spaces (mostly useful against mooks)

Mister Andersen

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 11924
  • I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know
    • View Profile
Re: The Long Road: IC
« Reply #140 on: June 06, 2012, 11:03:45 AM »

Coiling up the rope, Killishandra loops it over shoulder as she draws her sword.

"Alright people, let's get this done real quiet like," she whispers. "Last one to kill a bad guy buys the beer."

"Hold on there, tall dark and gruesome," Grandmother elbows her in the thigh. "Who put you in charge?"

"I'm literally the biggest threat in this group," she answers back in a curt whisper.

"So, if you go in first, they're going to spot you and ruin things for all of us, aren't they?" The old crone tuts. "Get out of the way and let someone who knows what they're doing for a change scout things out."

Drawing her knife, Grandmother slinks forwards with effortless stealth to determine just whether or not the reward is worth all this.

Spoiler: show

Since no one's stepped forward yet, I figured I might as well keep the double act alive.

Grandmother
Sneak, Notice1d20+8=26, 1d20+8=17

Killishandra
Sneak (untrained), Notice: 1d20+1=15, 1d20+7=22


Catodon

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 1946
    • View Profile
    • Gulliver's Trading Company RPG
Re: The Long Road: IC
« Reply #141 on: June 06, 2012, 01:29:58 PM »
Spoiler: show

PM sent with hint.
PLease keep up the double act. You want to control Granmother from now to the end of adventure?

Anyone else want to double up? Everyone that does gets 2AD!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 01:32:13 PM by Catodon »
"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1

LordKruelos

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 1028
    • View Profile
Re: The Long Road: IC
« Reply #142 on: June 06, 2012, 03:19:27 PM »
Spoiler: show

PM sent with hint.
PLease keep up the double act. You want to control Granmother from now to the end of adventure?

Anyone else want to double up? Everyone that does gets 2AD!

I'll do it for 2 scooby snacks ;)

Kieri Vane

Quote
Gentlemen, we've found the Princess in the Ice Castle. I make 6-7 of them by the voices.
You saw what they did to the Jarl. Let none of them live.


Kieri sneaks behind Grandmother and Killishandra, intending to keep hidden until she circles as close as possible to the captive, ready to react to keep the girl alive, and leaving the main assault to her powerful comrades.


Spoiler: "Sneak" • show

1d20+6=22
• Very, Very Sneaky (1) each time you fail an Acrobatics or Sneak check and don’t suffer an error, you still succeed as long as the check DC (or your opponent’s check result) is equal to or less than your Class Level + 20.
If somehow I am not Sneaking hard enough, I will use Dextrous, spend 1 AD and add 2.

• Dextrous (Core) When you spend 1 action die to boost a Dexterity-based skill check, roll and add the results of 2 dice


Vashkar

Quote
Vashkar waits for the signal before swooping into the the cave in a grand entrance, looking for an angle to unleash his fire without risking hitting the captive.




Spoiler: "A New Challenger Appears!" • show

Half move (can fly up to 60 ft, but will move to optimum position) to fly into the cave, as an Impress while moving. I believe this is somewhere between "a distraction" and "I'mma light you on fire cause I'm a dragon, and that's how I roll"

Impress +5
1d20+5=16

Fire Breath (20' line) +4 (2d6+3 fire; DC 15 Reflex save for half damage)
in a line directed to leave at least a 2 square buffer between his line of breath and the captive or his allies, hitting as many of the opponents as feasible.

I'd even lobby for equal amounts of stress damage as is done by the fire breath, for obvious reasons, but I won't push it too hard  ;D

1d20+4=24, 2d6+3=10
(Holy critical! Definitely activating this sucker, number of dice dependent on who gets hit)
If it's a Special NPC, I will spend an AD to activate and another AD to add to damage.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 03:30:23 PM by LordKruelos »

Antilles

  • Mastermind
  • Control
  • *****
  • Posts: 3645
  • Do I look like a people person?
    • View Profile
Re: The Long Road: IC
« Reply #143 on: June 08, 2012, 07:51:30 AM »
Kaze takes a deep breath and readies himself for strife, before following the rest into the cave as quietly as he can muster.

Spoiler: Sneakin' • show

Assuming Fending Stance
Sneak check 1d20+6=12
Notice check 1d20+10=30

Tempted though I am to activate that threat, I think I'll hold off.

"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
Mortality clarified in a single strike!

Catodon

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 1946
    • View Profile
    • Gulliver's Trading Company RPG
Re: The Long Road: IC
« Reply #144 on: June 11, 2012, 02:17:49 AM »
There are a series of dirty looks and elbows as Grandmother slides around other members of the party on the narrow ledge then creeps forward toward the cave entrance. Killishandra, Kieri, Kaze and Bolo follow behind grandmother. Meanwhile Vashkar take to the wing but keeps to one side of the entrance for fear of giving the game away. As they creep forward the cave entrance opens into a small cavern, there is no-one in the cavern and the cold wind still circles through the air here. On the other side a water carved passage leads into a bend. No doubt the kidnappers are somewhere around that bend out of the wind. Their fire is reflected off the ice and gives cold wall to the north a flickering orange glow. Standing in the entrance Bolo waves Vashkar across so the Drake can see his plan to fly in all wrath and fire has been thwarted by the vagaries of ice and water.
Grandmother sneaks on at her own short-legged pace, everyone behind her is forced to travel more slowly than they would like. The argueing voices are getting louder and the orage light of the fire shines dimly through the ice but it seems this cave carved by spring waters bores deeper into the glacier than you anticipated

Spoiler: show
 ok you have been travelling for about 12 seconds and still cannot see your foes. I would push on until Contact! But I need to know what Vashkar is going to do now that he has to reconsider his plan.
I will try to post again in a couple of days…
Could everyone preemptively roll intitiative.
Bolo will just tag along at the rear stay on full defence until someone speaks up to take control of him.
The squares with black dots on the map represent pebbles and skree deposited by the waters: Rough Cluttered Ground cost 2 to pass through (page 204).

Vashkar's eye view, Grandmother has disapeared around the corner and the others will soon follow.

P1020427 by Coronoides, on Flickr

What is known of the winding ice cave

P1020430 by Coronoides, on Flickr

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1

Mister Andersen

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 11924
  • I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know
    • View Profile
Re: The Long Road: IC
« Reply #145 on: June 11, 2012, 04:37:01 AM »

Grandmother creeps forward, waving the rest of the party to keep back lest they cramp her style -- and in doing so get her caught out. And that will never do, not at all!

Killishandra in turn holds up her hand to indicate everyone else should come to a halt as she has in order to await the crone's report.

Spoiler: show

Since no one's stepped forward yet, I figured I might as well keep the double act alive.

Grandmother
Initiative: 1d20+4=15

Killishandra
Initiative: 1d20+2=12 1d20+1=18


foproy

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 2615
    • View Profile
Re: The Long Road: IC
« Reply #146 on: June 11, 2012, 06:42:09 AM »
bolo steps into line with everyone else.
Jesus loves you, he died for your sins. Protoman hates you, he died for them twice. - Anonymous

Catodon

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 1946
    • View Profile
    • Gulliver's Trading Company RPG
Re: The Long Road: IC
« Reply #147 on: September 08, 2012, 03:07:10 AM »
The small hunched figure of Grandmother sneaks forward and soon rounds the bend, out of sight of Killishandra. Seconds tick by…
Spoiler: sneaky old Grandmother • show

Sneak +8 roll for Grandmother
Sneaking up on the 'trolls'/kidnappers (1d20+8=12)
Grandnmother accidently kicks a smooth glacial stone which rattles along the floor!

Notice roll for the kidnappers:
Do they notice Grandmother? (1d20+3=7)
Apparently not.
The kidnappers are too busy heaping scorn upon their captive to notice grandmother.
What Grandmother sees (I don't own any innuit miniatures ;))

What she saw
How far she got:

Grandmother got this close

after almost half a minute has passed the group breathes a quiet sigh of relief to see ol’ Nar-Kesh hobble around the corner.
“Well Dearies ‘tis as we suspected, there is no trolls only warriors of the ice-folk wearing false-footprint snow shoes who kidnapped Pitsiark. There are five around a meagre fire plus another who’s parka is embossed with spiral designs and has a great bone talisman around his neck. He would be the leader, sure enough…
 
Spoiler: your current positions • show

Grandmother goes on to describe the details of the cave (see the images above in the spoiler). You will probably need to sneak closer if you hope to catch them unawares before they can react, or you could forgo stealth.
Ok state your intent and make rolls you feel are necessary.
R16 wall of ice
Q22 and S26 are thick columns of ice
U27 is a pile of rocks about 6 foot tall.
All of the above provide cover enabling sneak to be attempted. This could buy you a surprise round. Or you could try charging in. Please use grid references to state where you are moving too. Feel free to move any character who’s not played by Mr Anderson or Foproy. If the players of these other characters don’t chime in by Monday night my time the actions will stand. I’ll move any unmoved PC’s.
Dotted areas are strewn with small rocks and cost double to move through.
Purple blobs are troll-foot snow-shoes
I don’t own any innuit miniatures ;)
The NPCs are gathered around a small fire.
Dim light
Pitsiark is represents by a miniature of Alice. She is sitting on the floor bound.
The Leader is the other painted miniature.
The Ice-folk warriors are the grey NPC figures.
Your current positions:

Your current positions
 

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1

Mister Andersen

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 11924
  • I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know
    • View Profile
Re: The Long Road: IC
« Reply #148 on: September 09, 2012, 04:16:35 AM »

"Well Dearies," the crone mutters, "'tis as we suspected, there is no trolls only warriors of the ice-folk wearing false-footprint snow shoes who kidnapped Pitsiark. There are five around a meagre fire plus another whose parka is embossed with spiral designs and has a great bone talisman around his neck. He would be the leader, sure enough…"

"So, he's the really dangerous one, then," Killishandra grunts. "Probably a shamen or spirit botherer of some kind."

"Maybe he's just fancy and doesn't deal well with women?" Grandmother suggests slyly. "But how many of you are cunning enough to not get me killed?" She jerks a thumb at the looming shape of the woman next to her. "You don't look like you could creep up on a party let alone a bunch of desperate kidnappers." The comment earns a growl, but it's a resigned one for Killishandra knows she speaks the truth. "Why don' you let Grandmother use her noggin and put the sleep on 'em first?"



Catodon

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 1946
    • View Profile
    • Gulliver's Trading Company RPG
Re: The Long Road: IC
« Reply #149 on: September 11, 2012, 04:44:18 AM »
Spoiler: Initiative • show

Of course there is every chance of a surprise round...

Keiri Vane 1d20+7=23
Vashkar 1d20+3=23
Ice Hunter 1 Q27 1d20+2=22
Bolo 1d20+8=21
The leader 1d20+2=21
Killishandra  1d20+2=19
Ice Hunter 2 P27 1d20+2=10
Ice Hunter 3 P28 1d20+2=10
Grandmother 1d20+4=9
Kaze 1d20+7=9
Ice Hunter 4 Q29 1d20+2=9
Ice Hunter 5 R28 1d20+2=4

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1