Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 29, 2014, 03:14:08 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Play-by-Post
| | |-+  The Long Road: recruiting PC's and referees!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Long Road: recruiting PC's and referees!  (Read 2771 times)
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2012, 08:44:10 PM »

So we're going 3rd level?

Fiendbasher
Agent

Good ≠ Nice

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2012, 09:01:47 PM »

Ewww... cold. Heh, I was hoping to maybe get in the draconic heritage saurian I submitted for Keg for Dragon, but I have a few other ideas to kick around too, anyway. Count me in.  Grin

"I knew you were going to say that..."
LordKruelos
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2012, 09:20:09 PM »

Ewww... cold. Heh, I was hoping to maybe get in the draconic heritage saurian I submitted for Keg for Dragon, but I have a few other ideas to kick around too, anyway. Count me in.  Grin

Ice-dragon?
foproy
Control

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2012, 09:48:22 PM »

you can count me in, probably pech assassin. i had some ideas bouncing around with the i never got to test.

Jesus loves you, he died for your sins. Protoman hates you, he died for them twice. - Anonymous
Fiendbasher
Agent

Good ≠ Nice

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2012, 10:42:17 PM »

Ewww... cold. Heh, I was hoping to maybe get in the draconic heritage saurian I submitted for Keg for Dragon, but I have a few other ideas to kick around too, anyway. Count me in.  Grin

Ice-dragon?

That could work.... hrmm. The cold-intolerant part of cold-blooded could be switched to heat-intolerant... but that might make it violate the 'fit into any campaign' criteria. Wink

Then again it's starting in the icy north... implying that it might move elsewhere, so it might be better just to take a regular saurian and dress warmly. You can always put more on to protect against cold, but there's only so much you can take off when it gets hot.  Grin

Here's the concept in case it looks interesting or you think it might work:

Vashkar -- Saurian (Draconian) Gladiator Soldier
"Sitting on the ground with his back to you, leathery wings partially unfurled and tail curled around him, he looked like a very small dragon, with deep reddish scales banded with orange. But then he rose to his feet and turned to face you, picking up a long hafted glaive from the ground and bringing it to the ready. More visible now, his build was more humanoid... he stood on two legs on the balls of black-taloned feet, long tail swaying languidly behind him. He wore armor... a heavy leather and metal belt and plated bracers, gauntlets and shin-guards supplemented his battle-inured scales and chest and belly scutes. Golden eyes peered down a pointed dragonlike snout at you, their catlike pupils narrowing slightly as he took in your measure. Briefly the spines running from the top of his horn-crowned head and down his neck prickled forward, pulling up his membranous crest... but then he relaxed a bit, not seeming to perceive you as a threat. He vented a slight snort in your direction, before he turned back to the fire and crouched back down, keeping his weapon within easy reach."

Vashkar knows little of his origin, other than having been raised as a fighter in the gladiatorial pits of a warlike human city-state. He was often pitted against condemned criminals and magically created, unnatural living weapons of war... the criminals were usually not much trouble, easily overpowered by strength and martial prowess. The weapons were another matter-- those he barely survived, through use of wits and tactics. It was a hard-won life that left him scarred and wary, and very resourceful.

Eventually, one of the magically altered beasts that was to be tested in the arena broke free, and Vashkar escaped in the ensuing chaos. Fleeing far from the state that enslaved him, he began roaming the countryside looking for others of his kind, enjoying his new found freedom. So far he has found no sign of others like him however, and his wanderings are taking him far afield indeed.

Gear would of course be different depending on what he can afford and the starting setting. If 3rd level, he would have Draconic Legacy and, if permitted, already have flight speed (the AD is a big sacrifice at such a low level, but worth it stylistically to me). Even if we start at 1st level I'd like to describe him as having the wings, although they won't be strong enough to carry him aloft yet.

He'll get along well with any other adventurer types that can treat him as an equal... he'd be used to being an outsider and any acceptance would be welcome. As for playing up the prejudices of "normal" folk (NPC's)... I welcome it. It'll be fun.

As a cold-hating creature he'll probably be bundled up in so much clothing and furs it'll be rather hard to tell what kind of creature is under there without a close look, anyway.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 11:00:29 PM by Fiendbasher » Logged

LordKruelos
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2012, 10:45:57 PM »

Ice-dragon?

That could work.... hrmm. The cold-intolerant part of cold-blooded could be switched to heat-intolerant... but that might make it violate the 'fit into any campaign' criteria. Wink

Then again it's starting in the icy north... implying that it might move elsewhere, so it might be better just to take a regular saurian and dress warmly. You can always put more on to protect against cold, but there's only so much you can take off when it gets hot.  Grin

Jeez, you skin one dwarf and you never hear the end of it...

what?
Fiendbasher
Agent

Good ≠ Nice

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2012, 11:01:42 PM »

Ewww... cold. Heh, I was hoping to maybe get in the draconic heritage saurian I submitted for Keg for Dragon, but I have a few other ideas to kick around too, anyway. Count me in.  Grin

Ice-dragon?

Then again it's starting in the icy north... implying that it might move elsewhere, so it might be better just to take a regular saurian and dress warmly. You can always put more on to protect against cold, but there's only so much you can take off when it gets hot.  Grin

Jeez, you skin one dwarf and you never hear the end of it...

what?

You know that dwarf hide does make some pretty fine armor...  Grin

Dredged up my concept post from Keg for Dragon and stuck it in my previous post. Please have a look! Also, although I don't have huge amounts of free time on my hands, I can certainly run a quick five-room (I'll pin down my IRL GM for assistance)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 11:11:10 PM by Fiendbasher » Logged

Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2012, 11:42:39 PM »

<Space reserved for character>

« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 08:04:00 AM by Mister Andersen » Logged

Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2012, 01:43:29 AM »

So we're going 3rd level?

I was aiming for 1st level but typing late at night it got left off my brief. Then we have one good concept posted as a thrid level...

OK, I'm going to call it as starting level: first ...
but if I get three or more howls of protest I'll up the starting level to third

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
foproy
Control

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2012, 01:55:29 AM »

i dont mind first, i just think third would give a bit more to flesh out a character. also it would mean i would not have to chose between knife basics and nasty little git (if it is allowed) at first level.

thus for now i have
Bolo Sandydowns
pech nomad assassin
looking at a halfling whisperknife from dnd for inspiration will finish him soon.

Jesus loves you, he died for your sins. Protoman hates you, he died for them twice. - Anonymous
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2012, 03:54:50 AM »

Howl of protest #2 duely made

Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2012, 05:22:58 AM »

Do I hear a third?

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2012, 05:24:48 AM »

i dont mind first, i just think third would give a bit more to flesh out a character. also it would mean i would not have to chose between knife basics and nasty little git (if it is allowed) at first level.

thus for now i have
Bolo Sandydowns
pech nomad assassin
looking at a halfling whisperknife from dnd for inspiration will finish him soon.
NLG is in.
Anything in the core book or Adventure Companion for which the prerequsites are met is 'in',

"I just do eyes"
LordKruelos
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2012, 08:13:10 AM »

Do I hear a third?

Anderson and I are 2 right?
Does Foproy count as 1/2?

The major advantages I see to starting this at 3 rather than at 1:

- Portability. Most convention games and demos are run at 3rd level (the Crafty PreGens are set at 3rd). By setting this at 3rd level as well, a given scene is more readily portable and immediately accessible for inclusion as "filler" for convention games. I'm sure the impact will vary for different people, but this is significant to me.
- Scaling. While the scalable NPCs/challenges work pretty well across 20 levels, I've found there's some lower-bound issues at level 1 that make it harder to gauge how well a challenge scales.
- Concept Variety in a Low-Progression environment. Like Foproy pointed out, starting at 3 allows for a more fleshed-out concept from the start, and pbps historically tend to have limited to no opportunities for leveling.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 12:44:45 PM by LordKruelos » Logged
Fiendbasher
Agent

Good ≠ Nice

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2012, 11:01:30 AM »

Did you miss my concept? Or just didn't like it? If you don't like it I can kick around some other ideas.

I'll make protest #3, pbp's are a bit slow so we're not liable to see a lot of leveling. Best to start with a solid foundation...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: