Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2014, 10:16:12 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Play-by-Post
| | |-+  The Long Road: recruiting PC's and referees!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Long Road: recruiting PC's and referees!  (Read 3046 times)
Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« on: January 23, 2012, 03:07:16 AM »

Hi all,
With the recent loss of some mainstay referees from this forum I wanted to pay back for the great entertainment pbp here has hiven me. However, I don't have lots of free time, not enough to sustain a pbp campaign long-term. I also thought a set up that periodically injected fresh blood and enthusiasm might be a good idea.

I suggest the following:

"A long eventful journey"
A group of travellers encounters a variety of dangers and diversions along the road.

The idea is to use those short adventures gathering dust on your selves. You know the ones, published as 'sidetreks' in magazines or written by you following the 5 room dungeon format. I'll start but will run one adventure then pass the riens to another person, then I'll return and so on with myself running odd numbered adventures. All adventures should be short (5 encounters is ideal), don't hog the space.

At the end of each adventure we will allow current players the opportunity to bow out and new players to join. The maximum number of PCs at any time to be six. Existing players have 'dibs'. After that recruitment is in the hands of the referee running the next adventure. Players are not required to take a turn as a referee but experienced referees with sufficient time are encouraged to run a game.

I would expect 2 posts from each player or referee each week. If you hit a busy period of real life no probs bow out and rejoin at the next adventure.

The setting is to be a occidental generic fantasy world at the Feudal Era which should match the majority of published short adventures.

The PCs could be of any official species or class within the Feudal Era. This will be one of those poorly defined hyper-diverse olde school fantasy worlds.

Who is in?

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
foproy
Control

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 04:15:06 AM »

i actually had an idea where instead of one set generic world, have a setup similar to sliders where they are traveling interdimensionally and each world would have its own set of rules.

Jesus loves you, he died for your sins. Protoman hates you, he died for them twice. - Anonymous
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 04:24:59 AM »

In. Level and other salient details?

Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 06:12:13 AM »

i actually had an idea where instead of one set generic world, have a setup similar to sliders where they are traveling interdimensionally and each world would have its own set of rules.

Or SG.
Actually, we just came across a bunch of theives using a similar set up in our planescape game.
I worry that with multiple referees and such little guidence things could get too wild too fast and inconsistencies rack up fast.
What do other people think?

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 06:57:10 AM »

I like the walking the world idea.

As an approach, I think we could go for something like the D&D cartoon or even Marvel Comic's Exiles, which easily accounts for a changing roster and the essentially random nature of the game

paddyfool
Control

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 09:15:00 AM »

I wish I had time...

One suggestion: if you wanted a single setting for this rather than sandbox, the one to pick would be either Sunchaser or the Planescape adaptation.
Fiendbasher
Agent

Good ≠ Nice

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 03:11:12 PM »

Planescape would be perfect...

"I knew you were going to say that..."
LordKruelos
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 04:12:54 PM »

I would be very interested in participating on both sides of the screen, especially if we focused this on "A funny thing happened on the way to the adventure" type sideplots that we could then harvest for our own use.

I'd go so far as to suggest we either use some of the Pregens or at least set level at 3rd to use this as a testbed for convention-game writing.
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 04:53:16 PM »

No, no mandatory pregens. This seems the very definition of BYO drop-in gaming

LordKruelos
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 05:04:59 PM »

No, no mandatory pregens. This seems the very definition of BYO drop-in gaming

Agree not Mandatory -- consider suggestion revised to as follows:

Keep it generic enough that it could be dropped into a home game with minimal effort.
LordKruelos
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 05:25:56 PM »

Make "Brotherhood of the Long Road" be a mercenary band with a nebulous membership
Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 05:30:19 PM »

Planescape would be perfect...

I agree for a 'well of worlds' I'd use Planescraft but that's another project. If someone wants to do a planescraft game with drop-in referee's I'll be very glad to help.

"I just do eyes"
Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 05:32:11 PM »

Here's my notes so far:

Fantasy Craft pbp

ERA
Feudal

Setting
Standard Pseudo-European. This is rather dull but it does match the majority of published material in the hobby.

Alignments
The world has thousands of religeon and cults but all can be place on the good-neutral-evil/law-neutral-chaos axis.

Premise
PCs are travelling from the cold north to the south through a pseudo-European continent. Why they are travelling is up to the players. Locations, seasons etc will follow in a somewhat logical order. No skipping from a viking longship in the snow to an Asian temple in the heat of a jungle.

PCs
Any species or class to fit the Feudal era. Note though in some settlements ‘monster’ races like orcs, goblins and lizard folk will be poor treated and sometimes even attacked on sight. Some referee’s are also likely to bar Large or bigger PC’s from some adventures (especially dungeon crawls). I personally try to accommodate larger species but also tend to play up the prejudices of pre-modern people.

Campaign Qualities
Sorcery
Miracles
Non-scaling NPCs (AD&D emulation)

I want to keep the campaign qualities as vanilla as possible to facilitate multiple referees.
I want to emulate the assumptions built into 2e AD&D since virtually all the short games on my bookshelf are in that system. Some of you might complain about ‘Non-scaling NPCs’, the idea is to mimic the power-curve of AD&D and allow easier translation of old games where at high level a party can plough through tens of orcs before breakfast. However if we do get to higher levels and you want the party to be challenged by four orcs just be sure to describe them as ‘elite soldiers of the black hand’ or some-such.
Threat level normally is AD&D HD add one but if you are not familiar with AD&D don’t worry about getting this exactly right on this too much.

EDIT: I'll start us in the icy north so dress for the cold everyone.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 05:59:03 PM by Catodon » Logged

"I just do eyes"
LordKruelos
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 05:49:15 PM »

I offer

Kieri Vane
Mischievous wandering skald with larcenous habits and honeyed words

Human Intelligent Bard – Burglar 2 Courtier 1
Well-Rounded, Fencing Basics, Fencing Mastery

« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 06:05:07 PM by LordKruelos » Logged
Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 05:58:07 PM »

Welcome.
5 slots left.
Also everyone, dress for the cold.
I was going for 1st level PCs but from what I've seen on the forum starting at 3rd is popular. What do the others think?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 06:02:28 PM by Catodon » Logged

"I just do eyes"
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: