Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 22, 2014, 10:51:50 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Mistborn Adventure Game
| | |-+  Star Wars -> MAG Conversion
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Star Wars -> MAG Conversion  (Read 1459 times)
Agent 333
Control

View Profile
« on: January 10, 2012, 01:17:09 PM »

Rather than derail the other thread, I'll start a new one:

Here's what I'm thinking thus far: The only Powers in Star Wars is The Force (not counting weird EU stuff). I'm thinking strong Powers gives you The Force 5 and one stunt, medium powers gives you The Force 4 but no stunts, and weak powers works as normal.

Almost everything a Jedi can do will be either a bare Force check or a Force stunt.

Example stunts:
Jedi Mind Trick - Lets you use The Force like zinc/brass
Levitate Objects
Lightsaber Defense (ie, blocking blaster bolts)
Force Choke
Force Lightning

Not sure how I'd go about the technology. Doesn't seem like it'd be too much of an issue, the system really glosses over equipment.

When all your problems are nails, all your tools start looking like hammers.
ZetaStriker
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 01:49:04 PM »

Well, you could always model the Force powers after Mistborn's magic systems. Come up with at least ten different powers for The Force, and maybe make a separate lists of them for Sith and Jedi. Strong Powers gets a generic The Force power that represents them all, while Average/Force Sensitive gets a single power like Mistings.

Average Power may also represent many races. Wookies obviously will have immense strength, and may even steal Pewter rules for their racial benefits. Droids might get specific components chosen from a list, etc.

Technology shouldn't be too hard either, although you'll probably want to reconfigure the range distances to match your weapon set.
Agent 333
Control

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 02:03:05 PM »

Well, you could always model the Force powers after Mistborn's magic systems. Come up with at least ten different powers for The Force, and maybe make a separate lists of them for Sith and Jedi. Strong Powers gets a generic The Force power that represents them all, while Average/Force Sensitive gets a single power like Mistings.

Average Power may also represent many races. Wookies obviously will have immense strength, and may even steal Pewter rules for their racial benefits. Droids might get specific components chosen from a list, etc.

Technology shouldn't be too hard either, although you'll probably want to reconfigure the range distances to match your weapon set.

The problem with that is that the Force doesn't work like that. There are no "Force Mistings", you either can do everything or nothing. Admittedly, some of the higher level techniques are beyond beginners, but that works better as Stunts. At the beginning of ANH Luke can't do anything Force related, but he gets a little of it by the end of the movie, and by RotJ he's learned the Jedi Mind Trick stunt. He started as a "Force Sensitive" (read: medium powers), then spent a butload of advancements getting new Force stunts and increasing his Force rating.

As for tech, really, if we're modeling the movies, I don't think ranges really need to be adjusted. Blasters seem to have a maximum effective range of about 30 feet or so.

Skywalker
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 02:19:13 PM »

Just use the Mistborn as model for all Jedi but make the starting score 1 rather than 3 and have them buy each type of Force Technique up as Mistborn already do.
ZetaStriker
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 02:35:01 PM »

I'm not trying to say being a Jedi works like being a Mistborn, but it certainly doesn't mean you automatically get better with everything. Precognition(Luke's visions/lightsaber deflecting/fighting), Force Grip(choke, lifting X-Wings), Mind Trick, Lightning, Force Jump/Agility . . . I don't see these as the same thing. Getting better and lifting/controlling multiple objects doesn't equal being the best in a lightsaber fight, for instance. It would be easy to split these up, and even use existing rules for some of them. Force Grip could follow the rules for Iron and Steel only without the forced directionals, for instance, with Force Choke as a Stunt as you mentioned.

As for the Average Power part, that can represent someone without training using the Force without really knowing what they're doing. The only problem with this is being Force Sensitive is already very accurately represented by a high Spirit, so I admit it is kind of a problem. You could just leave Average for racial powers/bonuses if you like.
Agent 333
Control

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 04:55:12 PM »

Some stunts can be leveled, like the Mimicry stunts Kandra can take. You could also include stunt prerequisites if you so desire (ie you can't Force Choke unless you have Levitate Objects).

If I were to break up The Force, it would be into the traditional Control, Sense, and Alter that every other SWRPG ever printed has used.

ZetaStriker
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 05:27:22 PM »

Not a bad idea.

How would you handle ships? The Millenium Falcon, for instance, is kind of a character of its own, in a way. Simplifying them too much would seem like a tragedy to me.
Agent 333
Control

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 10:23:56 PM »

Here's the thing: I've never once seen space combat (or any kind of combat where the PCs are the crew on a vehicle) done well. I don't really know what to do about that.

MistbornDave
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 10:25:59 PM »

Just start small, and work out the extras later.  Youve got something that looks really good, just flesh out that then worry about the xtras.  Cool

Check out my blog '7+ Ward Save'
http://7upwardsave.blogspot.com/

"I'm a thief, not a prophet. Sometimes, we just have to be what the job requires."
ZetaStriker
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 12:26:34 AM »

Well, part of it will depend on what exactly your group wants to do. It could be all tractor beams and boarding parties if you don't have any pilots, for instance, and if you have fighter pilots you may want to come up with some quick and dirty dogfighting rules about winning Contests to get into someone's 6. If they're all puttering around on the equivalent of the Falcon, let the pilot handle Defense Dice and maneuver the ship into position to get Circumstance bonuses, while gunners are free to unload and blow stuff up.

Whichever route you go though, I suggest building ships like characters. They have their own "Physique", "Resources" and "Health" . . . and depending on how you handle weapons and shields maybe even their own "Powers". But of course they'd run off a pilot's actual Wits, gunnery stations would run off a gunner's Physique, etc. You could even open up the Burden system to them, with droids and mechanics able to repair these problems as they occur and remain useful to the unfolding battle.

The good news is that - simplified as this system is - space wont be hard to do no matter what you do. If you're in a ship, chances are your range increments are based off the weapons available and so the movement options still work. Stats work pretty much the same. Maybe increase the "scale" of Health ratings for ships and the damage rating of their weapons appropriately, and you're pretty much good to go sans narration.
Maliloki
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 05:29:02 AM »

I don't think the ships would be all that hard to do especially using Zeta's idea as a base since it uses the base rules to describe it (to many converaions of other simple systems try to add to much from other systems and ruin the idea that they liked in the first place  Smiley).

I do think that the powers should be worked out first cause everything else can be glossed over to suite the story if need be, but Strong powers as the force is good, and the split between different powers needs to be figured out, al a Agent 333's idea so that you have areas of expertise for Jedi (force healers and such). Anything too specific should be a stunt, like the ability to deflect or reflect blaster bolts.

I'm not to familiar with a lot of the other species' abilities in star wars, I do think that average could represent the changing species, but I don't know as I'd use it for wookie strength, but that's just me. Droids could potentially be average power representing their hard drive memories and ability to download knowledge?

Sorry if I come off as anything rude or what not, only trying to get my thoughts out......also its 5:30 in the morning and would rather be in bed rather than getting ready for work.  Tongue
Agent 333
Control

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 09:57:48 AM »

Frankly I don't see much need for species modifiers. Want to play a Wookie? High physique low Charm. Done.
I could see a Droid requiring medium powers, especially since they're mutually exclusive with being a Jedi.

Maliloki
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 10:45:07 AM »

Oops, when I said changing in my earlier post, I meant changeling. I can't really think off hand any others that might benifit from having average powers
ZetaStriker
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 05:35:48 PM »

True, if you just let Wookies say have more than 6 max Physique and cap their Charm lower, that might work . . . and there are only a few that might need powers. Yuuzhan Vong might qualify as Average powers, with their immunity to the Force, but they only fit a pretty unique time frame in and and likely wont come up in an average Star Wars game. Ewoks, of course.

. . .

(yes, I'm joking about the last one)
Maliloki
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 09:01:28 AM »

So I was tooling around, looking things up and what not, and this is what I got:

Multiple targets: You may effect a number of objects equal to your Alter rating.
     Telekinetic Savant: You add 1 nudge to your roll when doing anything telekinetic. You may take this one additional time up to a total of 2 nudges.
     Increased Velocity: You may throw objects up to 250mph, increasing damage by 1.
     Long Range: You may throw objects up to 300 paces away (long range).
     Projected Telepathy: You can send your thoughts to another being. Difficulty is based on distance.
     Mind Trick: You may "mind trick" a person.

Control: Roll for healing, adding to physical attribute and such.
     Reduce Injury: If suffering a physical burden, you may immediately make a Control roll to reduce it one level. Difficulty 3 for Serious burdens, 4 for grave (making it a serious burden instead), and 5 for a mortal burden (instead only making it a grave burden). This can only be done when suffering the burden initially, may not be used later to heal from it.
     Heal Others: You may make a Control roll and heal another person a number of points equal to the outcome, plus nudges. If three nudge, you can reduce a grave burden to serious or a serious burden to nothing.
     Resirect Blasters: You can use your control rating as a reaction to a blaster bolt attack to direct it at another being in range. The target may roll defense against the initial attack roll. You may apply you nudges as if you made the attack roll.
     Extreme Speed: works like the pewter stunt.
     Iron Will: Works like the Copper stunt.
     Denser Tissue: Works like the pewter stunt.

Sense: Mental and physical senses.
     Combat Sense: Add your Sense rating to your Wits to declare actions.
     Danger Sense: You can never be surprised, you always get to act normally in combat situations unless cut off from the force.
     Life Bond: You may form a bond with a number of beings equal to your Sense rating and know their state of being/mind with a Sense test. Difficultly is harder the weaker the state and farther the distance.
     Blindsight: You can act in darkness or when blinded as if you could see. You can't do anything that requires sight, such as reading or seeing color.
     Far seeing: scrying. Distance and knowledge of area impact difficulty.
     Visions: can receive visions of past or future. Can be used in conjunction with far seeing, but raises difficulty.

So what do you guys think?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 10:34:39 AM by Maliloki » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: