Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2014, 07:09:41 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Off-Topic
| | |-+  Reaperwatch 2012: The End is Nigh!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Reaperwatch 2012: The End is Nigh!  (Read 8768 times)
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« on: January 02, 2012, 05:34:09 PM »

We start the year off with a great loss...

Bob Anderson, the great swordsmaster who trained Viggo Mortenson, Adrian Paul, Sean Connery and even portrayed Darth Vader for the lightsaber fighting.

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=692877&affid=100055&ocid=ansent11&silentchk=1&wa=wsignin1.0

Crusader Citadel

Living Spycraft Mastermind Council Member

Crafty For Life!
ahzad
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 01:00:48 PM »

RIP Etta James, you had a voice like no other.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/20/showbiz/etta-james-obit/?hpt=hp_t1

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - A. Einstein
TheTSKoala
Control

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 10:51:11 AM »

Even with his flaws.. RIP Paterno.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/story/2012-01-22/joe-paterno-death-career-legacy-cover/52751360/1
Desertpuma
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2012, 11:19:16 AM »

I think the scandal finally breaking and the scarring it did to Penn State is what killed him more than anything. The man died of a broken heart. ... Still, RIP Joe

Crusader Citadel

Crafty For Life!
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 03:43:10 PM »

Good riddance

foproy
Control

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 04:31:07 PM »

Good riddance
what would make you say that?

Jesus loves you, he died for your sins. Protoman hates you, he died for them twice. - Anonymous
Gentry
Powered By Publisher
Control

It's a Trap!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 04:54:35 PM »

Paterno lost his job as part of a pretty big-deal controversy surrounding on-campus child molestation by an assistant coach of his, which many believe Paterno could have done more (and perhaps far far more) to prevent had he so chosen. There are partisans for both sides, but the reasonably-supported allegation that he turned a blind eye to 12-year-olds getting raped in the Penn State locker room is pretty damning.

Either way, though, he's passed on now, and hopefully that'll allow everyone to clear their heads and be more careful going forward. We'll see.

I'm a secret VAO Control (Shh!)

Check out Wyrmstone for FC Open Source campaigning

Have you joined Knife Rights yet?

Live and game in Flyover Country? Join Tornado Alley Game Guil
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 05:02:21 PM »

Because like most people who didn't go to Penn State he's judged the man on the incomplete details presented in the media. Primarily the narrative that he didn't report Sandusky to the police. The problem with that narrative though, is that he did report the allegations to the campus police and administration. That part is commonly, but not universally reported. This is typically followed by people asking why he didn't tell the real police. The thing is, and what alost now news story has mentioned because no one does research anymore, is that the Penn State Campus Police at the main campus are the real police for the campus. Also, Sandusky was retired, he was on campus because the administrtion let him maintain an office and use their facilities for his, until this broke, highly regarded children's charity.

Consider this scenario:

A young man, who you've know for a few years and first met as a snot nosed freshman comes to you and (accounts vary, but let's go with the worst case) tells you that he saw a man who has been a good friend of yours for decades (longer then the young man's been alive) and is highly respected in the community raping a child in the shower.

What's your first reaction?

You then, despite your understandable doubts and emotional rejection of the very idea, report it to the police and bosses (since it happened at work). They take the report and then nothing happens.

Is it reasonable for you to come to the conclusion that the authorities investigated it and found nothing?

The board fired Joe because they hoped it would make them look better and because there's a good chunk of it that's wanted him gone for years because he doesn't commercialize the football program enough.

Note that while the men Paterno reported the incident too are being proscecuted, Paterno wasn't.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Desertpuma
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 05:08:00 PM »

I knew Paterno had reported it and did his due diligence. Truth be told, he should have retired about a decade ago. But the public scrutiny and, the fact that it was not widely reported unless you dug for it, that Joe did report to the correct people what was going on only to get fired by the board of the university looking for a cover up. In my opinion, the broken heart, of being thrown under the bus after approximately 30+ yrs of service to the school and the community, is what killed him more than anything.

Crusader Citadel

Crafty For Life!
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 05:23:43 PM »

Or, I suppose, Mr A could be a Notre Dame fan.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
foproy
Control

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 05:30:37 PM »

just bothers me when people are disrespectful to those who do not deserve it. if paterno had taken no action i would see Anderson's comment as just, but not in this case.

Jesus loves you, he died for your sins. Protoman hates you, he died for them twice. - Anonymous
ThunderMonkey
Control

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 01:57:12 AM »

Personally, I don't think Joe (or Penn State for that matter) did enough. From an outsider looking in, it appeared to me that he and the administration were more concerned with the football program than those boys who were allegedly harmed.

Paterno and Penn State has become the poster child of everything that's wrong with top tier college athletics.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 01:59:10 AM by ThunderMonkey » Logged

Work done by an officer's doppleganger in a parallel universe cannot be claimed as overtime.
glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 09:38:06 AM »

I have no idea who you're talking about, but I still lol'd at this...

VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 09:48:42 AM »

I have no idea who you're talking about, but I still lol'd at this...
College sportsball rivalries, I think.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
tracker7
Mastermind
Operative

MLB > Firefly

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 03:40:40 PM »

Actor James Farentino. Swear to Gibson, I just watched The Final Countdown last night.

The above may be conjecture, deliberate paraphrase, or outright bullshit.

Looking for GMs for Ohio Valley conventions. Some danger involved.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: