Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 25, 2014, 05:00:46 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Mistborn Adventure Game
| | |-+  Multiple Targets
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Multiple Targets  (Read 1570 times)
Skywalker
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2012, 03:36:11 PM »

Following Crafty's clarification of one action per Beat, Billy's logic is sound and convinces me.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 03:47:12 PM by Skywalker » Logged
Aminar
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2012, 06:41:25 PM »

That said, I would say that allowing a single roll to target extras adds to the cinematic flair of the power, whereas villains require extra attack rolls.
Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control

Woot, I got a new hat! :P

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2012, 06:49:54 PM »

That said, I would say that allowing a single roll to target extras adds to the cinematic flair of the power, whereas villains require extra attack rolls.

This is already covered under Epic conflicts and is a something that anyone can exploit, not just Allomancers with Multiple Targets.

Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.
Aminar
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2012, 07:03:07 PM »

This is already covered under Epic conflicts and is a something that anyone can exploit, not just Allomancers with Multiple Targets.
I know, but even in a non-epic conflict it seems fitting for the allomancer to be sweeping the field, shotgunning coins.
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2012, 07:06:01 PM »

With Narrator approval, yes.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
ReaderAt2046
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2012, 02:05:55 PM »

I am going to look at this from a pure mechanics standpoint for a moment.

There were 2 options presented for this:
   A) Multiple targets, split dice pool between targets
   B) Multiple targets, 1 roll

A) is already in the game but as it stands it usually requires catching a beat to do.  Multiple targets would basically remove the need to catch a beat to make additional attacks.

B) would allow the Allomancer to make multiple attacks using one set of dice.  The targets would each have to defend using their Action or Defense Dice.  This would allow the Allomancer to use his one set of dice to reduce the Action and Dice pools of three targets (for newly snapped), and up to 10 targets at the highest end.

If you are going to allow one of these, it almost has to be A).  Allowing someone to make 1-full pool die roll that depletes the dice pools of up to even 3 other targets is overpowered.  Allow it for up to 10 and it is WAY overpowered.

In general, I wouldn't allow a single conflict action to target more than one enemy.  I feel that Multiple Targets has enough other uses that it doesn't need the ability to kill multiple people simultaneously inherently built into it.

What about setting up the rules like this: If you are concioulsy aiming multiple coins, then you use option A (split dice between attacks). If you are using a shotgun effect, then you can use option B, (one roll for attack, every one defends), but there is the risk of hitting one or more of your allies (Narrator's call on this). Any allies that might be hit have to roll defense dice just like the enemies you were trying to hit in the first place.
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2012, 11:56:05 AM »

The rule currently has you roll once, and all your targets roll Defense against your result. You also lose any Nudges you roll on this one (meaning they will win ties, you don't get extra damage, and you can't catch a Beat).

"Alex doesn't feel anything. He's more word processor than man anymore." - Krensky

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo da Vinci

A reminder.

Alex Flagg
Crafty Games
Baijo Gosum
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2012, 11:50:27 AM »

would the same idea apply to soothers/rioters flaring there metals and targeting char up to there power rating?

Or maybe this is apples and oranges
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2012, 12:07:18 PM »

I think that's a little more apples and oranges. IIRC, flared attacks on willpower are more about focus than they are spamming whole crowds. Sometimes it's appropriate, but generally I'd treat them different based on what we've seen in the books.

"Alex doesn't feel anything. He's more word processor than man anymore." - Krensky

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo da Vinci

A reminder.

Alex Flagg
Crafty Games
Baijo Gosum
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2012, 01:27:30 PM »

ok, so only one target at a time,

I can think of one occasion in the books where breeze flared and targeted more than one person, but the point isn't to make the game 100% in line with the book so I'm cool with it :-).

Thanks for the quick response!
ZetaStriker
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2012, 12:39:29 PM »

There were examples of Breeze soothing multiple people, but I can't think of any where he was flaring. He was all about subtlety. Under the rules:

Quote from: page 326
While burning Zinc, you may amplify one or more existing emotions in a
number of individuals up to your rating with the metal. You may only affect those
within 10 paces (Close Range).

And then the stunt that increases it.

Quote from: page 327
Affect Crowd: While burning Zinc, you may simultaneously Riot a number
of people up to 20 ◊ your Zinc rating, though you lose 2 dice with all Zinc rolls
when manipulating multiple characters at once (see page 223 for more information
about crowds). You may not use this Stunt while flaring Zinc.

So Soothing is a yes, and flaring is a no.
Baijo Gosum
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2012, 03:48:02 PM »

I don't have my well of ascension in front of me at the moment, but I think when they had the "secret" meeting to make a plan to get Eland and Vin out of the city Breeze flared on Ham and Doxon  to stop them from fighting, but my memory could be fuzzy,

eather way it isn't a big deal if someone wants to allow it the same rules used for multiple targets of a coin shot should work, the two powers would have similar sized dice pool and your swapping on resilience for another.  I think it would work out, and I like soothers/riotors being effective in combat.  It wouldn't lower health but I could add burdens that more physical type guys could take advantage off.

ReaderAt2046
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2012, 11:05:41 AM »

One of my story's characters, Kobe Tersius, uses zinc as a weapon all the time. Very good for freaking out enemies and making them run. She makes an excellent support character.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: