Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 01, 2014, 07:28:16 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Legacy Games
| |-+  Classic Spycraft
| | |-+  SFA Prestige class: Snipers Disappear ability, please help
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: SFA Prestige class: Snipers Disappear ability, please help  (Read 806 times)
Phsyke
Crafty n00b

View Profile
« on: December 28, 2011, 04:12:53 PM »

Hi all;

I have a question regarding the class feature of the sniper prestige class from the Shadow Force Archer core book.
The ability is called disappear and from the latest errata it uses the following rules:

Disappear: At 8th level the sniper becomes an expert at concealing his firing position. any character attempting to find the sniper after he makes a ranged attack with a rifle must make a spot check opposed by the sniper's hide skill.  the sniper gains a +1 competence bonus with this Hide check per 100ft. between his roost and the observer.  If the sniper's weapon is suppressed, this modifier increases by an addition +2 (to a total bonus pf +3 per 100ft.)

How exactly does this work? From my GM's perspective, this ability allows a sniper to effectively Hide in Plain Sight - i.e. if a sniper was in an empty, well lit room with several hostile’s and shot one with a rifle - all the other hostiles would need to make a spot check to see the sniper even if the sniper does not use an action to make a hide check.

I need some advice as to whether this ability overrides the Hide skill description from the core rule book, where it states that no character can hide while observed.

I see this ability as being used when the sniper is already hidden from the targets before they make they make their first attack, not for when they are surrounded by enemies out in the open.

Any ideas appreciated  Smiley
Thanks
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2011, 04:24:29 PM »

You're correct, your GM is wrong.

The relevant text is "attempting to find". In your GM's perspective, the hostiles already know where the sniper is, they can see him. There's no attempt to find him.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Phsyke
Crafty n00b

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 04:47:54 PM »

Awesome, thanks for the advice!
aegis
Fantasy Craft Playtester
Control

A little dab'll do ya.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 03:22:29 AM »

You're correct, your GM is wrong.
A GM is never wrong. He is correct, it's yourself (and the rules, true) that disagree with him. Ask him to be nice and merciful and to abide by the rules.  Tongue
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: