Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 17, 2014, 06:45:08 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Mistborn Adventure Game
| | |-+  Bend Alloy/Cadmium
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Bend Alloy/Cadmium  (Read 3459 times)
Aminar
Agent

View Profile
« on: December 27, 2011, 11:22:26 AM »

These are possibly the coolest metals ever.  For my campaign I have a player that wants to be a Slider(BendAlloy) and I want to contextually work in the availability of the metal, and the knowledge of it via a specific gang.  The idea is that the two gang leaders combine a larger Cadmium(Slow-Time) bubble overlapping their Bendalloy(Fast-Time) bubble to lock their opponents in place while allowing their minions to prepare strikes from behind.  Essentially creating super-ambushes.

Would it be feasible to allow the Bendalloy bonus(Using likely the cadmium score) to anyone outside the slow-time donut?(Basically I'm curious how others would handle the situation.)

Also-Yuck, I just realized a mistborn could do this on their own....
zthumser
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 01:52:47 PM »

If the idea is to let your allies outside the bubble(s) get into ambush position, can't you do that with the Cadmium alone?  Wouldn't it work better with just the slow bubble, in fact?
Say your minions need 1 minute to set up their ambush, and they're outside all bubbles.  If you make a big slow bubble as a barrier, and an equal strength speed bubble to contain you and your enemy, so that you're running at normal time but contained within the slow-nut (slow time donut) then you have to keep him busy in there for the full minute.
If you skip the speed bubble entirely, then you only need to keep him busy for a couple seconds, and your allies can take their sweet time about it.
That, or I'm misunderstanding the slow-nut plan, which is a distinct possibility.  I like the idea of the slow-nut as a "force-field", but the real utility is if you want to continue to pass normal speed, not so useful for setting up ambushes.
Toloran
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 02:29:24 PM »

I made a diagram to explain why this doesn't give any sort of advantage

(Ignore the terrible spelling, i'm sleepy)

This is based on a comment in Alloy of Law between two of the characters about this exact interaction. However, it's unclear if overlapping cadmium/bendalloy bubbles negate just where they overlap or negate the ENTIRE bubble.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 02:31:05 PM by Toloran » Logged
Aminar
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 03:08:11 PM »

If I create just the cadmium bubble I'm vulnerable, whereas if I'm within a Bendalloy bubble I move at the same rate as the normal world while the people within the cadmium bubble are slowed.  Meanwhile anyone in Cadmium is still slow compared to the outside world giving everyone a bendalloy boost.(Essentially.)  The theory is sound, there is advantage conferred when not everyone is in the inner bubbles.

Also the wording in the game itself says the overlapping sections are thye only parts changed.

And then I thought of something else.

Do Cadmium Bubbles collapse when you leave them?  Using Flared Cadmium you could create a pair of bendalloy bubbles to move yourself out of the cadmium Bubble, set up explosives, run away, and drop the bubble.  Instaunavoidable bombing...
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 03:12:15 PM by Aminar » Logged
zthumser
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 04:01:14 PM »

Oh, I get it now.  I thought your allies were outside (normal time), then there was a slow-nut (unoccupied, acting as a "force-field"), then the inside (normal time) containing you and your enemies, in which case you're vulnerable to them for the entire time the ambush is set up.  In which case, the above problems apply.
But you're not.  You're saying your allies are outside (normal time), then your enemy is in the slow-nut section (slow-time, vulnerable), then you're in the inside (normal time), thus your enemy can't attack you while the ambush is set up.
Yes, that would work fine, and is a good idea, but would require careful positioning and timing (pardon the pun) to pull off.  It's a good idea, though, and could be very powerful when it works.
Agent 333
Control

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 05:49:06 PM »

Alloy of Law Spoilers:
(click to show/hide)

When all your problems are nails, all your tools start looking like hammers.
ZetaStriker
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 06:11:24 PM »

I don't think it pops- I think stepping outside of it is insanely difficult and risky because your entire body isn't moving the same speed. Moving from fast time into normal time would be like pulling yourself out of drying concrete, more than likely. And that's ignoring issues like your blood circulation going at different speeds! O__O
Aminar
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 06:28:09 PM »

In Alloy Wax steps into or out of a BendAlloy bubble, which would have just as much damage.  It's just never addressed.
Aiken Frost
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 12:57:38 AM »

It is addressed. But it only causes a weird sensation and a slight kinetic interference as your WHOLE body passes, at the same time, from Fast Time to Slow Time (or vice-versa). You are at Fast Time *or* you are at Slow Time, you can't be partially at both. The intrinsic allomancy rules prevents that.

Hope this helps. Smiley
Agent 333
Control

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 07:07:12 AM »

Remember Kids: When Allomancy and Science disagree, Preservation did it.

When all your problems are nails, all your tools start looking like hammers.
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 08:48:58 PM »

Can I just say, this thread is one of the reasons I love designing games for a living.  Grin

Bravo boys (and girls, as the case were)!

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
Aminar
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 12:11:48 PM »

By the way, like everything mistborn this is cinematic as hell.  Slow motion corpses, imminent death of NPC's that your heroes have time to think with, slow motion other stuff.  It's pretty awesome.

That said, bendalloy is scary good.  A mistborn tacking their Bendalloy rating onto every ranged attack they make is just plain scary.  Which means I'm setting the price of vials around 3 and not allowing them as props unless that's the only metal the person can burn.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 12:13:20 PM by Aminar » Logged
Akerbos
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 12:41:38 PM »

In the original trilogy, time bending metals are not known, at least not to others than the Lord Ruler and his minions (and even they are not shown using them, iirc). Therefore, I was thinking to forbid players to be Bendallow or Cadmium Mistings. They *would* try to game the system, after all. Also, as my players won't have the knowledge I have, I might be able to surprise them with the time metals. My idea was to give Bendallow usage to an Inquisitor if the group really gets into trouble. Seeing an Inquisitor coming at you is scary as it is, but seeing him literally jumping from left to right should make you shit your pants.

Other than that, NPCs might have found either by accident and guard it as a close secret. They might employ their skills if pressed, though, be it for or against the heros.
Aminar
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 12:52:01 PM »

Oh I know.  This was actually a Villain using the metal.  I had a gang of pirates pull this off.  Reason being I have a great RPer that wants to be a slider when the actual campaign comes up.  However the existence of these metals in the area is going to be one of the plots-TLR trying to quash knowledge of them and whatnot.  That said, within the novels Bendalloy and Cadmium would have been impossible because Atium and its ally had taken its place in the 16 metals to preserve balance or something like that.
Akerbos
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 05:01:09 AM »

Sounds cool!  Evil
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: