Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 01, 2014, 09:41:37 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Off-Topic
| | |-+  US Goverment's digital miscreantism
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: US Goverment's digital miscreantism  (Read 4607 times)
TheTSKoala
Control

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2012, 01:24:15 PM »

the pathetic part is when to comes to album sales most of that money never reaches the artist. most of the money they see is from touring. but the riaa loves to say you are stealing from the artist if you download music.

^ QFT.  I still wonder just how many people it really takes to create an album.  Sound Engineer?  Artist?  Graphic Design Team?  Promotes?  Admin?  ...what else? lol.
Valentina
Control

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2012, 02:21:53 PM »

the pathetic part is when to comes to album sales most of that money never reaches the artist. most of the money they see is from touring. but the riaa loves to say you are stealing from the artist if you download music.

^ QFT.  I still wonder just how many people it really takes to create an album.  Sound Engineer?  Artist?  Graphic Design Team?  Promotes?  Admin?  ...what else? lol.

Software is the same way. The Devs get about %20, the Distributor gets at least ~50%, though that article I recall those numbers from is about 2 years old by now. The actual Artistic talent gets pretty well shafted by the Bigger Stick.

Really the problem isn't the business, it's the combination of the corporate influence, the personal intrusiveness, and the pervasiveness of the corruption subculture.
That's why I despair. I don't mind that Caesar get's his due, or that his minions piss it away on 800K boondoggle parties. I like the Clay Davis rule of government waste: less then 1 Million isn't real money. It's cool, I can let it be.

I care that I can't have my life, too. That in addition to everything else I have to appease my corporate masters that I'm living the way they want as well. Thinking the right thoughts, kneeling before them and kissing the ring because otherwise I'm THIEF and a TERRORIST.
That's why Greed is a Deadly Sin. Not for wanting More, but for wanting All.

Let me say this: the next time some wealthy talking head is ranting about the national drag created by the entitlement culture of the non-tax paying welfare queens know that I am one of those people.
And I would kill him or her to have their place. I'd kill them just to shut them up, but if they've got a couple of hundred bucks in their pocket that's really good to. There are a couple of reasons why I don't, and the biggest is because I'm not a Criminal and so getting armed is a problem.

John Stewart* likes to try to play mediator by agreeing that the severely poor have no rancor towards the rich based solely on them being rich. He's wrong. The gentleman's agreement was dead the moment I became their scapegoat. I don't want to be rich, and I want to work. But guess what? I spent yesterday hauling my furniture to the curb because whatever my future residence is, it won't be a place a queen mattress will fit. It's my turn to wonder what the fuck I did to the universe to become the "personal nemesis" of powerful, influential people when really my problem is being bad at making modern life work.

I hate them. I want to harm them. I have next to nothing; some friends (who I don't begrudge not being to afford to take me in as we're all really broke) and some pride, but still someone wants to take those from me to score talking points.
This is what turns my stomach. I don't have much, and I don't want much more. But I'm The Enemy. I'm to blame. I'm What's Wrong With America -and I love my country. Hell, I really want to keep liking my president. I think he's a good guy making bad choices, and I understand what it's like to be in that position.

Anger. Anger starts to describe what I feel. I'm betrayed, I'm humiliated, and worst of all I'm filled with a toxic sense of purpose because I know they're lying. I know they're part of elaborate construction of theft and abuse that at least used to leave me alone. But now I can't even have that.
Do They understand that once you take everything away from me what's left won't be under their heel any more? Even Rome understood you had to keep your populace employed and distracted to keep the Empire minimally healthy, but wow -even that's asking too much.

Tolerance: it's not too much to ask of someone who blows 10K on a impromptu wager, right? If 1,000,000 dollars isn't real money, can I have my $200 a month to keep from starving? It's a lot cheaper then housing me in a cell for the rest of my life. Just let me be free in my squalid, desperate state of barely sustainable living.

Don't do this to me. Don't make me be like you.

I apologize for the dump. I know at Crafty modern politics are frowned upon for the divisiveness they cause.
I want to vent, but I also want to make clear what kind of person this latest hilariously legal abuse is going to affect.
By itself it's merely horrible. But, and doubly for my international friends here, it's far worse combined with everything else being piled on the powerless in the U.S. today.

*btw it's hilarious to see Stewart spat upon. He's a Centrist, folks. He's an easy target, but he's not the right one.

"Cui bono?" -Lucius Cassius Longinus Ravilla, 127 BCE.

"Hier stehe ich, ich kann nicht anders" -Martin Luthor, 1483-1546.
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Don’t believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2012, 09:54:23 PM »

CISPA veto recommended by White House, bill's authors defend it

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2012, 08:07:36 AM »

Bill's authors need to go home and suck start shotguns.  Angry

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
foproy
Control

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2012, 09:17:46 AM »

a bit of suck squeeze bang bye?

Jesus loves you, he died for your sins. Protoman hates you, he died for them twice. - Anonymous
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2012, 12:45:36 AM »

US House passes controversial CISPA cybersecurity bill by a vote of 248 to 168, now onto the Senate

Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2012, 07:30:57 PM »

On a semi-related note: Google: Most Censorship Requests Come From Democracies

Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2012, 04:19:35 AM »

How copyright enforcement robots killed the Hugo Awards

glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 04, 2012, 06:00:49 AM »

"So this is how liberty dies… with thunderous applause."

VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 04, 2012, 07:09:46 AM »

Now imagine what happens if you pair a pattern recognition bot program like that with the new generation of small-and-easily-obtainable-via-hobby-shop drones...

glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 04, 2012, 07:15:04 AM »

Now imagine what happens if you pair a pattern recognition bot program like that with the new generation of small-and-easily-obtainable-via-hobby-shop drones...

Oh now you're just asking for a quote from 1984...

"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever."

VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 04, 2012, 08:06:48 AM »

Well, given that the streaming service could be immediately shut down by these sub-contracted bots despite multiple legal rights to show the triggering footatge, and then couldn't be restarted by the service owner, and no one installing the measures even seemed to consider countermeasures, I'd say that the human face has "come hither" bedroom eyes.

Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 25, 2013, 09:33:42 AM »

And... SOPA is back, along with the Trans Pacific Partnership Agreement

Valentina
Control

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2013, 08:38:51 PM »

"The twelve nations currently negotiating the TPP are the US, Japan, Australia, Peru, Malaysia, Vietnam, New Zealand, Chile, Singapore, Canada, Mexico, and Brunei Darussalam."

I see no China on that list.
Small surprise.
No S. Korea either, and few of the S. American nations.
Nor England or Russia or Germany.
Hmm. Apparently the EU doesn't care or has it's own plans.

Regardless, the price of a Felony just keeps going down. Roll Eyes

"Cui bono?" -Lucius Cassius Longinus Ravilla, 127 BCE.

"Hier stehe ich, ich kann nicht anders" -Martin Luthor, 1483-1546.
Viperion
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2013, 09:42:46 PM »

I'd be surprised if European nations joined the Trans-Pacific agreement  Cheesy

Having said that, there's an awful lot of nations not on it, as you say. It'll be interesting to see if it has any real effect or if it's just another case of "talking because I like to sign things"
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: