Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2014, 02:18:41 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Off-Topic
| | |-+  US Goverment's digital miscreantism
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: US Goverment's digital miscreantism  (Read 3724 times)
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2012, 10:49:17 AM »

WTF? Peter and the Wolf is still under copyright? !@#$%?
It is in Europe, not in the US, at the moment.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
TheTSKoala
Control

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2012, 11:08:07 AM »

I'm curious to see what Obama's newest detail entails.  The Trade Enforcement Unit or some such.  We've got an office pool running at 3 5-Hr Energy Drinks to 1 Mountain Dew that this unit gets its teeth into American Piracy more often than foreign.
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2012, 04:25:11 PM »

Do You Like Online Privacy? You May Be a Terrorist

ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2012, 09:23:56 PM »

I'm not even sure how to respond to that ... the stupidity of current governmental practices is unforgivable.

Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2012, 10:36:00 PM »

Almost everyone I know fits their "terrorist profile".
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2012, 11:43:52 PM »

And the rest of them are really slacking the - off as far as security goes.

They come up with this, then wonder why no one respects agents of the government.  More of them need to suck start shotguns.   Angry

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Agent 333
Control

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2012, 08:46:37 AM »

Ditto. Seriously, moving your screen so it's harder for other people to see is a sign of terrorism? NOBODY likes people looking over their shoulder.

When all your problems are nails, all your tools start looking like hammers.
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2012, 09:23:20 AM »

FBI profilers are good (not great) when it comes to serial killers and a few other types of things. Largely because they've been extremely well studied and follow very predictable patterns.

They're idiots when it comes to anything else. Worse they're idiots who people think they know what they're talking about.

Anyone remember the post Columbine teen rampage profile? The one that Jesus of Nazareth and Siddhārtha Gautama (aka the Buddha) fit?

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2012, 09:56:44 AM »

Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2012, 12:11:55 AM »

If you download potentially copyrighted software, videos or music, your Internet service provider (ISP) has been watching, and they’re coming for you.

Specifically, they’re coming for you this July.

That’s the date when America’s largest ISPs will all voluntarily implement a new anti-piracy plan that will engage network operators in the largest digital spying scheme in history, and see some users’ bandwidth completely cut off until they sign an agreement saying they will not download copyrighted materials.

Word of the start date has been largely kept secret since ISPs announced their plans last June. The deal was brokered by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) and the Motion Picture Association of America (MPAA), and coordinated by the Obama Administration. The same groups have weighed in heavily on controversial Internet policies around the world, with similar facilitation by the Obama’s Administration’s State Department.

The July 1st date was revealed by the RIAA’s CEO and top lobbyist, Cary Sherman, during a publishers’ conference on Wednesday in New York, according to technology publication CNet.

The content industries calls this scheme a “graduated response” plan, which will see
  • Time Warner Cable
  • Cablevision
  • Comcast
  • Verizon
  • AT&T

and others spying on users’ Internet activities and watching for potential copyright infringement. Users who are “caught” infringing on a creator’s protected work can then be interrupted with a notice that piracy is forbidden by law and carries penalties of up to $150,000 per infringement, requiring the user to click through saying they understand the consequences before bandwidth is restored, and they could still be subject to copyright infringement lawsuits.

This is much worse than SOPA/PIPA and ACTA. It doesn’t necessarily censor the internet but it spys on everything you do. Your ENTIRE web history will be watched and recorded and might even assist the government. This was coordinated by Obama and his administration with the help of the MPAA and RIAA.

What is so dangerous about this is that this is not a law it is a policy adopted by several companies. That means this will not be debated in Congress and you will agree to be spied on by signing a contract with the company.

Internet censorship is becoming a reality and now the corporate elite will legally be able to spy on you. If we spread this and cause an uproar like what we did with SOPA, maybe they will back down. Either way people NEED to know about this.

Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2012, 04:38:36 PM »

Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2012, 11:47:41 PM »

Worst thing is I'm too reliant on digital dowhats to go "off the grid" at this stage in my life. Sad
Valentina
Control

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2012, 03:54:03 AM »

*rubbing eyes*
F.F.S.
I'm trying, really trying, to hold some respect for our Commander and Chief.
I really am. I think it's important. I think the U.S. needs less petty political division and more cohesion about critical financial issues that'll have drastic long term effects. I think now's the time.
But for god's sake drek like this doesn't help. At all.
I'm...just out of words. This just makes me tired.
SOPA, PIPA, CISPA.
I'm sick and tired and ashamed of my nation.
I don't even DL much anymore. I just want my privacy.
And to never think I live in a nation where Beyond The Law is an enshrined Corporate Feat.

MilitiaJim and I don't see eye to eye on much, but I'm starting to think seeing some high profile deaths would be about all that make sense. I hated Bush, but at least I didn't expect anything better of him.

“VELOCITAS, INCURSIO, VIS” -Latin for “Speed, Surprise, Violence of Action!”
(Thank you Grrl Power).
TheTSKoala
Control

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2012, 01:05:46 PM »

Valentina.. while I agree that CISPA, PIPA and SOPA are terrible ideas.  Keep in mind that we can't just nail Obama's hat on this one.  He's the leader in chief who, some will argue, needs to do alot more leading and a lot less international ass kissing.  But at the same time, we have there 535 other elected folks on a hill that we designated to run the country who are doing just as bad as a job, or worse, than Bush, or Obama.  ..hell.. I'll even toss Nixon in there.  Congress is more of a screw up than Nixon right now.  And.. before anyone starts blaming the Intelligence community for this bill.. I would bet donuts to german shepards this bill was lobbied by some manifestation of the RIAA or similar entity... and they just added on the Justice and Intelligence communities to make it more 'legit'.

"We can't just make a law that allows us to tell you if someone stole a song."  "What if you could tell us.. as long as you were telling the DoJ too!"  "..about what?"  "Call it Cyber Terror!"  "BRILLIANT!"
foproy
Control

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2012, 01:17:20 PM »

the pathetic part is when to comes to album sales most of that money never reaches the artist. most of the money they see is from touring. but the riaa loves to say you are stealing from the artist if you download music.

Jesus loves you, he died for your sins. Protoman hates you, he died for them twice. - Anonymous
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: