Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 25, 2014, 10:42:16 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Off-Topic
| | |-+  US Goverment's digital miscreantism
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: US Goverment's digital miscreantism  (Read 4679 times)
TheTSKoala
Control

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 11:15:05 AM »

The fact that a US Law can effect citizens in other countries, whose laws they are not breaking is absolutely and fundamentally wrong.  I know plenty of very good American people, but it's very hard to not hate the country (and it's "government of the people, for the people") that is at the heart of this.

We're just the warm up to Global Government:  The UN: Take 2 Experiment.  This time.. with REAL power!  It'll be fine.. don't worry. *goes to hide in his bunker*

I heard Iran is in charge of Human Rights... and Zimbabwe gets to be the Financial minister.  U.S. and Canada will finally join Sweden and the Fins in the "DILIGAF" section of the world.

It won't ever happen. There's no way that those who are firmly religious in the US would ever put up with those pesky whimsical laws that grant human rights to all citizens.

Actually.. the religious would turn into a nullset prior.  The two zealot sides would destroy one another grasping for power.  The woman enslaving religions.. and the the everyone is wrong except for me religions would tear each other to shreds.. leaving the more stable of us to comfortably worship as we wish.. without trampling entire populaces under foot.  (Hopefully..)
Gentry
Powered By Publisher
Control

It's a Trap!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 07:01:14 PM »

No SOPA protest on the Crafty mainpage? I'd have thought the braintrust behind the Mouthwash Confessional would have a big black banner and a Fight the Power message handy to cover Wikipedia's back.  Smiley

I'm a secret VAO Control (Shh!)

Check out Wyrmstone for FC Open Source campaigning

Have you joined Knife Rights yet?

Live and game in Flyover Country? Join Tornado Alley Game Guil
TheTSKoala
Control

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2012, 10:41:41 PM »

No SOPA protest on the Crafty mainpage? I'd have thought the braintrust behind the Mouthwash Confessional would have a big black banner and a Fight the Power message handy to cover Wikipedia's back.  Smiley

I'll trade the banner for 1 day closer to a new release.  Wink
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2012, 01:27:31 AM »

In semi related news:

US Supreme Court Says Congress May Re-Copyright Public Domain Works

ComicJam
Agent

Bullet Dodger

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2012, 04:45:15 AM »

Simply shocking...

Cheers! Cheesy

MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2012, 07:34:25 AM »

Not particularly.  Though it does seem like Congress has forgotten/never knew/was paid to forget the actual point of copyrights.  (To encourage creation of entertainment works and cunning devices for the benefit of society.  Generally by giving them exclusive rights to their work with some exceptions, satire and parody coming first to my mind.)  70 years after the death of the creator is no longer serving that interest.  I'm just sayin'.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2012, 08:02:54 AM »

Not particularly.  Though it does seem like Congress has forgotten/never knew/was paid to forget the actual point of copyrights.

Think you might be on to something...

The fact that the happy birthday song is copyright is amazing, considering the entire english speaking world knows it, it really should be considered a traditional song.
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2012, 10:10:51 PM »

Speaking of Happy Birthday:

While I'm not a lawyer, I think I could make a reasonable case that the failure of the copyright holder to enforce their copyright (we sing it at my kids birthday and I have yet to be sent a cease and desist letter) has thus forfeited their copyright.

Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2012, 10:13:20 PM »

Heard a speech from Ron Paul in SC earlier tonight .... some members of the House of Reps have taken their name off of SOPA due to citizen pressure

Crusader Citadel

Living Spycraft Mastermind Council Member

Crafty For Life!
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2012, 10:31:31 PM »

You don't have to exercise your copyright privileges to protect them in the US. You have to for a Trademark. Not exercising them can limit or reduce the damages you can claim though, if memory serves.

The major issue is that somewhere along the line the concept of intellectual property was invented (or perhaps imported from civil law systems) and gained enough traction that most people in the world think it's a real thing. The people who wrote the original copyright laws in the US and UK would be appalled it the current circumstance.

Copyrights and Patents are government granted monopolies. Like any monopoly, they're inherently bad. That said, society correctly feels that writers and inventors (and by extension musicians, artists, etc) not being able to make a living from their talents and ideas or having to depend on patrons, along with the benefits to society of public access to art in all it's forms and to advances in science and technology is a worse situation.

So we, via the government, grant a temporary monopoly to the creator to be the sole distributor of their work.

It is explicit in this that once that temporary period is over, the work is free for the use of everyone.

40 years or the life of the author, whichever is longer for actual people, just 40 years for corporations. No extensions.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 10:35:37 PM by Krensky » Logged

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2012, 10:33:33 PM »

I believe Rolex comes up with something new about every 7 yrs or so just change their brand for the better and make the old versions of their watches obsolete just to maintain that Copyright and Patent on their product.

Crusader Citadel

Living Spycraft Mastermind Council Member

Crafty For Life!
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2012, 03:14:22 AM »

So, the DoJ just killed megaupload.com -- bastards -- without the need for SOPA or PITA.

But the next front is far worse: The Anti Couterfeiting Trade Agreement

MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2012, 07:13:52 AM »

So, the DoJ just killed megaupload.com -- bastards -- without the need for SOPA or PITA.

But the next front is far worse: The Anti Couterfeiting Trade Agreement
Right up until the "online file sharing," these ACTA folks sounded a lot like the EU parliament...

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
TheAuldGrump
Control

Because The Cat Told Me To...

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2012, 09:50:04 PM »

Good gods! I'm agreeing with Justice Alito! No mere words can describe how soiled that makes me feel. Sad

They have managed to miss the goddamned point of having copyrights expire! There's a reason that was put in the Constitution you dipsticks!

Urgh... at least I know someone that might be willing to loan me a Barret....

The Auld Grump, Alito, for the love of mud!

I don't know how the story ends...
But I do know what happens next.
Agent 333
Control

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2012, 10:05:45 AM »

Good gods! I'm agreeing with Justice Alito! No mere words can describe how soiled that makes me feel. Sad

They have managed to miss the goddamned point of having copyrights expire! There's a reason that was put in the Constitution you dipsticks!

Urgh... at least I know someone that might be willing to loan me a Barret....

The Auld Grump, Alito, for the love of mud!

WTF? Peter and the Wolf is still under copyright? !@#$%?

When all your problems are nails, all your tools start looking like hammers.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: