Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 18, 2014, 09:31:08 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Off-Topic
| | |-+  US Goverment's digital miscreantism
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: US Goverment's digital miscreantism  (Read 4849 times)
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« on: December 23, 2011, 12:08:15 AM »

SOPA supporters are the people who built the online piracy industry.

TL;DR version: SOPA, ladies and gentlemen, is a golden example of the long con as it reaches its end game.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 10:32:38 AM by Mister Andersen » Logged

Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2011, 08:02:18 AM »

They got what they wanted and now they are just leaving...

Living Spycraft Masterm
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 08:35:15 AM »

More like they're trying to ensure they're the only game in town.

MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 09:24:54 AM »

I'm not going to say that death is too good for the folks who claim to support SOPA, but I will say a swift death is too good.  They deserve something lingering and painful.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
TheTSKoala
Control

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 10:09:54 AM »

You know the worst part.. and I normally don't harp about my job because of various reasons.. however.. SOPA crawls right up my exhaust port and dies.  We're trying to fight an almost BACKWARDS battle of cyber-everything.. and these idiots on the hill are blowing hundreds of thousands, millions, billions.. whatever.. trying to protect corporate assets?  But yet I get told I can't hire another $50k a year analyst because it's not in the budget?!  FU!

Angry Koala is blind with angry rage!   Evil

OpSec?  Financial Security?  Infrastructure Security?  Bah.  F that.  We need to make sure no one stole the latest Jay Z album. 

#rant.  (at least for the moment.)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 10:12:18 AM by TheTSKoala » Logged
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 12:13:25 PM »

Several years back Eric Flint wrote a series of columns for the now defunct e-zine Jim Baen's Universe regarding copyright, DRM, piracy, and legislation regarding them. They're somewhat focused on these issues as they relate to writers, ebooks, and the publishing industry but they have more then enough to understand why none of these laws work and he does spend a good bit of time on the history and nature of copyright, why it's wrong, and why it's (or rather was before it's been twisted to it's current state) better then the alternative.

They're still worth a read.

Salvos Against Big Brother

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Mister Andersen
Control

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 02:21:08 AM »

SOPA: Bane of the D&D Blogger?

MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 08:00:44 AM »

The group of people who A) support SOPA and B) are good people, is a null set.  I'm just sayin'.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 08:22:28 AM »

The fact that a US Law can effect citizens in other countries, whose laws they are not breaking is absolutely and fundamentally wrong.  I know plenty of very good American people, but it's very hard to not hate the country (and it's "government of the people, for the people") that is at the heart of this.
foproy
Control

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 08:53:24 AM »

those who know about it here, hate it, trust me it is not  a popular bill amongst the people.

Jesus loves you, he died for your sins. Protoman hates you, he died for them twice. - Anonymous
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 08:59:35 AM »

The group of people who A) support SOPA and B) are good people, is a null set.  I'm just sayin'.

I would say it's very small. The set of A, B, and C) understand what it says and does is null.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Valentina
Control

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 05:14:30 PM »

Forget the Mayan Calender, here's the real apocalypse.
Thanks for the video, Mr. A.
And yeah, not so much respect in being American these days. I have love for the president, but man there's some real shame in some of this stuff.
Well, money knows no creed or flag, just a color.

"Cui bono?" -Lucius Cassius Longinus Ravilla, 127 BCE.

"Hier stehe ich, ich kann nicht anders" -Martin Luthor, 1483-1546.
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2012, 07:49:32 AM »

The group of people who A) support SOPA and B) are good people, is a null set.  I'm just sayin'.

I would say it's very small. The set of A, B, and C) understand what it says and does is null.
You can't be a good person and support SOPA.  The ignorance or malice or corruption required to support SOPA prevents good person-ness.  Supporting SOPA doesn't make you a bad person, it just proves that you are one.

As a side note:  The numbers used to support anti "piracy" efforts are most charitably described as feces.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 11:44:03 AM by MilitiaJim » Logged

TheTSKoala
Control

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 06:03:45 PM »

The fact that a US Law can effect citizens in other countries, whose laws they are not breaking is absolutely and fundamentally wrong.  I know plenty of very good American people, but it's very hard to not hate the country (and it's "government of the people, for the people") that is at the heart of this.

We're just the warm up to Global Government:  The UN: Take 2 Experiment.  This time.. with REAL power!  It'll be fine.. don't worry. *goes to hide in his bunker*

I heard Iran is in charge of Human Rights... and Zimbabwe gets to be the Financial minister.  U.S. and Canada will finally join Sweden and the Fins in the "DILIGAF" section of the world.
ThunderMonkey
Control

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 08:15:14 AM »

We're just the warm up to Global Government:  The UN: Take 2 Experiment.  This time.. with REAL power!  It'll be fine.. don't worry. *goes to hide in his bunker*

I heard Iran is in charge of Human Rights... and Zimbabwe gets to be the Financial minister.  U.S. and Canada will finally join Sweden and the Fins in the "DILIGAF" section of the world.

It won't ever happen. There's no way that those who are firmly religious in the US would ever put up with those pesky whimsical laws that grant human rights to all citizens.

Work done by an officer's doppleganger in a parallel universe cannot be claimed as overtime.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: