Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 23, 2014, 02:56:57 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Mistborn Adventure Game
| | |-+  Lets talk about Feruchemists
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lets talk about Feruchemists  (Read 5099 times)
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: January 27, 2012, 12:34:03 PM »

Can a Feruchemist partially stop storing? In other words, if Damosi didn't want to take the full three die hit in the fight, could he change his storage rate to one charge, lose one die, and then end with 5 charges (the 4 he had before, plus 1 stored during the fight)? He'd lose the two he stopped storing, of course.

No. The rules are written to expressly prevent this, partially for ease of bookkeeping, but also to prevent the Feruchemist from "gaming the system" - fights are extremely brief time-wise, so if they could change or lose all penalties they're suffering for storing, they effectively suffer no penalties at all (i.e. the penalties that matter are not there when they'll have any significant effect).

EmpactWB
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 27, 2012, 06:33:20 PM »

It's understandable, but frustrating, since Sazed and Wax use their Feruchemy in exactly that way in canon. To me, the main benefit of Feruchemy in the universe is choosing exactly when you have your greatest faculties at your disposal. While it would have increased bookkeeping, I'd have preferred the more fluid method of actually measuring everything.

That said, if I can work out a houserule that works that way in the system, would it be okay if I posted it on here?

Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: January 27, 2012, 07:16:14 PM »

It's understandable, but frustrating, since Sazed and Wax use their Feruchemy in exactly that way in canon. To me, the main benefit of Feruchemy in the universe is choosing exactly when you have your greatest faculties at your disposal. While it would have increased bookkeeping, I'd have preferred the more fluid method of actually measuring everything.

That said, if I can work out a houserule that works that way in the system, would it be okay if I posted it on here?

This is exactly what the License to Improvise board is for. Have at! Smiley

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
Aiken Frost
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 28, 2012, 12:28:39 AM »

If you post it, I wold like to take a look.
ReaderAt2046
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 05, 2012, 03:20:49 PM »

Also, is there any problem with a Feruchemist storing for just a few minutes to reap some benefit other than charges?

For example:

Damosi needs to climb up a steep wall. He starts storing two charges of weight. Per the rules for Iron Feruchemy, this grants him a bonus die on the climbing roll. He then stops storing as soon as he gets to the top, and gains no charges.
Skywalker
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 05, 2012, 10:36:10 PM »

No problem that I can see. Iron is one of the few metals that has a positive for the Feruchemist when stored. But the rules contain enough restriction that it's not an issue IME.
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: February 06, 2012, 02:02:50 PM »

Also, is there any problem with a Feruchemist storing for just a few minutes to reap some benefit other than charges?

For example:

Damosi needs to climb up a steep wall. He starts storing two charges of weight. Per the rules for Iron Feruchemy, this grants him a bonus die on the climbing roll. He then stops storing as soon as he gets to the top, and gains no charges.

That's perfectly fine. Metals like Iron and Brass don't provide huge benefits for storing, so as long as someone gains no charges for using them in brief spurts, that's perfectly acceptable (and expected) Smiley

ReaderAt2046
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 10, 2012, 10:13:35 AM »

Two other things I was thinking of.
1. You can tap 10 or more dice in units of 5 to get multiple Nudges, right?

2. Can you catch a Beat by spending 15 charges to get three Nudges?
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: February 10, 2012, 11:33:31 AM »

yes to both.

ReaderAt2046
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 14, 2012, 09:32:46 AM »

One more thing: can you tap an attribute separately from taking an action? I.e. Damosi is in a battle with a Steel Inquistor and has been wounded. When his turn comes up, he taps 30 charges of gold, instantly restoring two health, and then throws the table at the Inquistor for his action.

This especially applies to Gold, since its main use is to rapidly recover from wounds.
Aminar
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 14, 2012, 10:29:53 AM »

I do believe you can tap as many metal minds at a time as you want.
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: February 14, 2012, 12:08:19 PM »

Just like burning metals, you can tap or store in any combination of metals at a time.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: