Author Topic: Mistborn RPG Rules Questions  (Read 5125 times)

Aminar

• Agent
    • View Profile
Re: Mistborn RPG Rules Questions
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2012, 05:49:04 PM »
Actually, the core of my issue is the use of both a static duration (burn rates) and a highly variable "turn" duration (Beats). It just seems odd that a highly abstracted system uses very hard and specific numbers for burn rates (rather than something like "a number of beats").

That's fair. We're looking at it.
Were I you guys I would look at recommend beats based around the time periods metals burn in.
On the other hand, Feruchemists power holds for a number of beats... 

...and different metals burn at different rates, so as soon as a Mistborn hits the table...

As I say, no simple solutions. We're on it.
Yeah.  I'm more referring to the specifically related metals.  In a game of Tug of War for the fate of the world between two Pewter Burners I would set it at 1 minute  beats, with a goal of 3.  That way the conflict won't outlast a charge of pewter.  It's more putting in and explaining the recommendation than enforcing anything in the rules.

Agent 333

• Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2012, 07:14:28 PM »
Here's the thing: A Soother or Rioter isn't going to be burning constantly for hours on end, but rather giving little nudges here and there. I'd say, for those two metals at least, use the given charge time or one charge per beat, which ever is longer. Not sure if that'd break anything...
When all your problems are nails, all your tools start looking like hammers.

Bill Whitmore

• Mastermind
  • Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2012, 07:27:38 PM »
Something I noticed while perusing the rules when changing actions.

The rules say that you figure a new Action Dice pool and cut it in half.  What happens if I had already spent dice from the existing pool?  Theoretically, I could spend all of my Action Dice on defense, then when my action came up, declare a new action to gain additional dice equal to half my action.  Then at the end of the round I could take that new action.

I think a new proviso that your new Action Dice pool is the lower of the existing dice pool or 1/2 the normal dice pool for the new action.  This would prevent someone from gaining extra dice by changing actions.
Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.

Bill Whitmore

• Mastermind
  • Control
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2012, 07:37:58 PM »
Sorry, these are cropping up as I read the rules again.

For Conflict rounds, Extras are grouped and act together.  How exactly does this work?

If I have a group of 3 extras and they decide to attack someone, do I roll once for the extra group or 3 times, once for each character in the group?

If one of the characters in an Extra group is attacked, do they defend individually, and thus have different Action Dice pools, or does the entire Extra group defend as a single unit and all of the Extras in the group lose dice accordingly?
Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.

Aminar

• Agent
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2012, 08:26:45 PM »
Here's the thing: A Soother or Rioter isn't going to be burning constantly for hours on end, but rather giving little nudges here and there. I'd say, for those two metals at least, use the given charge time or one charge per beat, which ever is longer. Not sure if that'd break anything...
Not likely, but I'm unsure how burning works.  I don't think its within the rules to stop burning a metal midcharge.  In my campaign they can, but not once its been flared.  I however, DM by the seat of my pants and ignore rules to a flagrant degree.  Instead I follow my gut.

Skywalker

• Operative
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2012, 10:03:34 PM »
For Conflict rounds, Extras are grouped and act together.  How exactly does this work?

They essentially act individually but do the same thing. I agree that this doesn't make running Extras that much easier. The main benefit in the rules is the need to hit Extras just once including taking out 1 Extra per Nudge.

There is a rule in Social Conflict (p223) that basically deal with groups in a slightly different way, with a single roll with an extra Nudge per 10 people. I quite like this and may use a variation of this for other Conflicts (I will likely reduce the 10 people to 5 people).
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 10:06:43 PM by Skywalker »