Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 29, 2015, 04:01:38 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Mistborn Adventure Game
| | |-+  Mistborn General Purpose Newbie-Friendly Q&A Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mistborn General Purpose Newbie-Friendly Q&A Thread  (Read 5234 times)
lord Claincy Ffnord
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2015, 10:42:32 AM »

How does the Steel Ministry support itself?  It has been a little while since I read the books, but I don't remember any taxes.  I remember only a few ways the Ministry gets money
1. The nobility pays Obligators to witness things, but that seemed to go to the individual Obligator and didn't seem to be that much money.
2. The plantation nobility also leased the Skaa, but that doesn't seem to be enough to support a government.  Especially with all the "special" projects done by the Lord Ruler.
3. Atium. Again doesn't seem to make enough money for an entire government

Thanks in advance!
From what I recall the steelministry (heh, combined the two words without thinking Tongue), or perhaps each canton of the steel ministry acts a lot like a great house in and of itself with it's own contracts, holdings and deals. I think competition inside and between cantons is very active and fierce. I can't remember where I read this stuff though so take it with a grain of salt.

Tellingdwar
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2015, 11:26:17 AM »

Nobility doesn't just pay to witness small things at parties. No contract or social agreement is considered binding or "official" unless witnessed by an Obligator. Big trade agreements, contracts, and the like would require both sides to make a payment to the Steel Ministry, probably as a percentage of the value of goods or services exchanged.

Also the government is the ONLY source of manual labor (Skaa) and the ONLY source of Atium. A monopoly on either would bring in a big chunk of money indeed.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: