Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 02, 2015, 07:32:25 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Mistborn Adventure Game
| | |-+  Mighty Appropriate
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mighty Appropriate  (Read 163 times)
Outis
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« on: February 25, 2015, 10:41:04 PM »

Quick question.

In the section on building Villains and Extras, it gives a ton of options unavailable to regular players. Is there a reason these options are not initially allowed? Would there be any balance issues if a player were to take "A Rating 4 spike and an Average Power" as a Strong power?
Tellingdwar
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 12:17:30 AM »

At a certain point, the question becomes not "what does the book say?" But instead "what do we as a gaming group believe will be the most fun for everyone?"

In my game, I had one player who rolled up a coinshot, then we put 5 spikes through him. His back story was that the Inquisitors chose him, but once he got the spike which enhanced his allomantic Steel, he pushed all the Inquisitors away and ran.

On paper he was way overpowered compared to the other characters. But we had some balances: the player didn't want to power game, he wanted a character with a broken psyche. I trusted him to play with mental and social handicaps to balance his increased powers, and we agreed that "Ruin" could implant suggestions at any time via me passing him notes. The rest of the players were ok with this situation, and the end result was great fun for all of us!

If you're running the game, you make the rules. You decide what's fun and balanced for your group. The book is just suggestions. Smiley
Dreamstreamer
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 05:06:31 PM »

Quick question.

In the section on building Villains and Extras, it gives a ton of options unavailable to regular players. Is there a reason these options are not initially allowed? Would there be any balance issues if a player were to take "A Rating 4 spike and an Average Power" as a Strong power?

Quick answer: Probably not. What's the basis? Is there a good story there?

Longer, roundabout answer: I'm starting up a game with my brother. He wants to play a character with only two allomantic powers, so we came up with this background:
His character is a tinkerer and inventor. He and his twin had allomantic abilities; one could Push (using steel), the other could Pull (using iron). As they were developing an early form of explosives for mining (nitroglycerin?), an "accident" killed his twin and left him crippled.

The explosion that ventilated his sibling with twisted steel created a hemalurgic spike that transfered a portion of his twin's soul to him. It simultaneously mangled his right arm and leg, left him horribly burned, and bits of slagged steel of varying lengths still pepper his flesh. A hollow shell of a man, he still hears his twin in his head from time to time, pushing him to continue the work. The voice also reminds him that there are no accidents.

He managed to cobble together a prosthetic arm and leg that he uses when he isn't panhandling or selling trinkets. With practice, he can use allomancy to subtly (or forcefully) manipulate the limbs to almost replace what he's lost. He's working on some modifications to the prostheses that will allow him to quickly unlock and release the limbs and Push on them to fire off the arm or launch himself through the air, later Pulling them back in (or he to them).

I'm letting my brother start the game with a single hemalurgic spike. I could make him take Strong Powers or have him spend the first few advancements paying off the debt, but I don't think it will be necessary. There is so much fun to be had with this concept. (*maniacal laugh!*)
Crafty_Alex
Crafty Staff
Control

Damned if I do, damned if I don't.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 08:10:05 PM »

Quick question.

In the section on building Villains and Extras, it gives a ton of options unavailable to regular players. Is there a reason these options are not initially allowed?

Yes. You should never make a game of the complexity to a RPG without considering very carefully whether an option *needs* to exist in the core game - everything needs to justify its existence or GTFO. My reasons for this particular decision:

1) Simplicity. You give people many more options than we did for Powers and it gets to be way too hard to pick a matrix of powers. Combine that with the literally hundreds of others configurations when building a character (gear x Traits x Attributes x Standings x Powers) and you run the risk of creating option paralysis.
2) Game Balance. Already people are inherently (some might say maniacally  Evil) drawn to Mistborn's Powers, to the point that one of the top 3 questions people have about the game is 'Can you play a regular human, and if so, are you an idiot for doing so?' Tipping the game/world even more toward Powers would basically mean the effective extinction of non-Powered characters in all but purely "fluff" games. That does not fit with the narrative of Mistborn, which has really important characters who are not Mistborn affecting the story profoundly and often.
3) Character Balance. I made the conscious decision that having good Powers meant sacrifices beyond allocating Strengths. While I didn't want tell people they simply can't play Mistborn, I make players with Powers work for cool combinations via Advancements; a starting character with lots of Powers is not particularly good at anything, until he or she commits most if not all of their Advancements to getting stunts and improving their ratings. Mistings are good with their one power - the rating of 5 and a starting Stunt is a BIG deal mathematically - and normal humans' "power" is flexibility, both from Traits and freedom to spend Advancements however they feel is best.

NPCs don't follow those limitations, because they don't get the opportunity to grow through Advancements, and most only live for 1 adventure anyway! Thus, they needed a lot more options to represent the spectrum of abilities seen in the books. 

Would there be any balance issues if a player were to take "A Rating 4 spike and an Average Power" as a Strong power?

I agree with everyone else that it's your game, and you get to decide what's right for your group. I don't think this is particularly overpowered as a Strong power choice.

"Alex doesn't feel anything. He's more word processor than man anymore." - Krensky

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo da Vinci

A reminder.

Alex Flagg
Crafty Games
Herowannabe
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 03:31:16 PM »

One other way of doing it is allowing all of the players 10 AP or so when creating their characters. Then, if one player wants to spend 8 or 10 AP to gain a hemalurgic spike, it's not a big deal, because everyone else will have a couple extra stunts/ratings to balance it out.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: