Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 21, 2014, 03:52:46 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Mistborn Adventure Game
| | |-+  Adapting Mistborn RPG rules to other Sanderson works
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Adapting Mistborn RPG rules to other Sanderson works  (Read 2179 times)
Aminar
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2014, 09:59:15 PM »

I'd cut the thrill from the blade. That's speculation I believe to be proven wrong by the fact Sadeas feels the thrill even when he has no blade, and it's treated as something all Alethi lighteyes feel.  
WoR Spoiler
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 01:34:35 PM by Aminar » Logged
Herowannabe
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2014, 11:42:12 PM »

Finally finished reading Words of Radiance today, which means that I could come back here and read Aminar's spoiler box.

You are right Aminar. I will have to do a bit of tweaking to get my rules up to date. Shards Rules v1.1 is officially "in development."

Herowannabe
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2014, 09:51:48 PM »

Version 1.1 of my Shards rules is up- now with pictures! I changed several things to bring it up to date with information gained from Words of Radiance, as well as things we have learned from Brandon (that said, if I missed anything or got anything wrong, please let me know).

Also, the biggest change is that I added a handful of stunts that shardbearers (of both blade and plate) can gain. I would still like to add more, so if you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
(NOTE: I wrote out all of my stunts before rereading the stunts that Oxinabox has in his shard-rules. I just reread them now though. It's interesting to see the various ways we went about trying to accomplish the same thing- the "Follow-through" stunt, for example. Also, I like his "over-exert" stunt for shardplate- I might have to modify that and add it to mine.)

EDIT: Rules have been updated. See the next post.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 07:59:46 PM by Herowannabe » Logged

Herowannabe
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2014, 07:59:02 PM »

Hey all, I finally got a chance to finish off my current revision for my Shards Rules.

Here they are.

A big thanks to Claincy, Mac, Kadrok, Kurkistan, and everyone else who made comments on my earlier versions and helped me to improve them. Because of our discussions I came to realize that I had based my earlier versions of the rules on characters like Dalinar, Adolin, and Szeth- all of whom could be considered "Masters" of their shards. Because of that, characters who started with shards under my rules were very overpowered compared to other magic systems. I went through my rules and reworked a lot of things to try to bring them into balance. I think I did a pretty good job of balancing them out, while still allowing for players to eventually grow their characters into their own Dalinars and Szeths.

One of the ways I did this was by tying Shardblades more closely to the character's Spirit score, while also tying Shardplate to resources (via the gemstones rules, see below). This requires players to spread their AP around a lot more to develop their shardbearers, especially if they're equipped with both blade and plate.

I also made some basic rules for acquiring, keeping, and using gemstones, as well as grandbows, shard-hammers, and half-shard shields, and added them on at the end.

Please read it over and let me know what you think. Thanks!

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: