Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 25, 2014, 03:48:46 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Mistborn Adventure Game
| | |-+  So tell me your story...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So tell me your story...  (Read 2410 times)
Haven
Recruit

View Profile
« on: December 13, 2011, 12:02:07 AM »

As we are days away from getting our hands on the rpg I find myself turning over different character ideas in my head.

My main idea and the character who gave me my forum name is Haven. He owns a metallurgy shop in the poor side of town. From a minor noble house (at least that's what most people think) he has fair prices, and fair metals. To the underground he's known as Haven, Smoker and head of a crew. He'll set you up with metals if you've just Snapped, but you'll owe him a favor.

What only his crew knows is that he used to have a partner. He worked with a Thug as part of a two man crew. They were hired by an Obligator who wanted to join the Ministry of Inquisition. He drugged and restrained them, called them his "Proof on concept." long story short; he got free, his shoulder aches when the weather changes, and he spikes his misting vials with pewter.

So step into my shop, tell me your story... Consider it a favor.
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 05:01:53 PM »

You, sir, are my hero of the day!

Not only are you the very first person I've seen brainstorm a character for the game, you're already in the right frame of mind and you haven't even seen the book yet. Wink

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games

In game terms, reality is broken.
Skywalker
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 09:51:20 PM »

My first PC idea is a noblewoman called Estelle Treyer, from a minor House. As a young girl, she was strong and vivacious. The fact that she was a Pewterarm meant that as she grew up, she feared little and dove into a scandalous lifestyle. It culminated in the death of a scion of one of the Great Houses, a woman called Dalna who Estelle loved dearly.

It was at that point that House Treyer intervened. Unable to prevent Estelle's excesses, she was denied pewter and a world's worth of sin and depravity came crashing down upon her. She couldn't keep on top her previous addictions and vices. Her suffering was further fueled by the fact that, unbeknownst to her House, she was a Pewter savant.

After two years of living like a mockery of her former self, a shade dressed up to be the proper noblewoman under the stern watchful eye of her family, she escaped. She hid as best she could but was eventually forced to take shelter with a crew of criminals called the Iron Spires.

It was not long after that, Estelle found out that House Treyer may have been the ones to orchestrate the death of Dalna to force her back under its wing. If this is true, Estelle will stop at nothing to expose her House's fraud. However, she is wary of being manipulated. Perhaps the Crew she works for now fabricated the story to ensure her ongoing loyalty. As a Misting noblewoman, she is immensely valuable to them.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 09:52:55 PM by Skywalker » Logged
Haven
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 12:19:48 AM »

You, sir, are my hero of the day!

Not only are you the very first person I've seen brainstorm a character for the game, you're already in the right frame of mind and you haven't even seen the book yet. Wink

Wow. One of the creators of the game just called me his hero... Just wow. Thank you. I've had the idea since I first started reading the books, with added Hemalurgy because Pewter was always my favorite metal described. Cannot wait to write him up formally on thursday. Well that and get a look at the Feruchemical chart. I'm going to get one of the symbols as a tattoo and will decide when I can see them all.

That's a thought, IS the feruchemical chart going to be in the PDF or will I have to wait until the hardcover?

Edit: Skywalker, that's an interesting concept, I'm curious to know how your Crew will manage to keep her stocked with one of the fatest burning metals. Should be fun times.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 12:24:32 AM by Haven » Logged
Skywalker
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 01:17:31 AM »

I imagine she would spend a lot of time withdrawal, almost as if she two people - a wane flower of a sickly noblewoman and a feminine powerhouse Cheesy The savant may be a bit strong to start but I think you could get a similar effect with the right Traits etc and work towards it.
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 03:47:29 AM »

Wow. One of the creators of the game just called me his hero... Just wow. Thank you.

I feel it's important to call out my daily heroes as they make themselves known. It promotes... heroism. Smiley

I've had the idea since I first started reading the books, with added Hemalurgy because Pewter was always my favorite metal described. Cannot wait to write him up formally on thursday. Well that and get a look at the Feruchemical chart. I'm going to get one of the symbols as a tattoo and will decide when I can see them all.

That's a thought, IS the feruchemical chart going to be in the PDF or will I have to wait until the hardcover?

The full Feruchemical chart appears as an endsheet in the Deluxe Hardcover Edition, so it won't be in the Digital Edition, I'm afraid.

The B&W Feruchemical symbols are included in the book, however, so you'll have that - which I suspect is what you'd want for a tattoo anyway. Wink

Be sure to send us a pic of the tat when it's done BTW. We'd love to put it up on our Facebook Page.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

Leviathan
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 08:14:20 PM »

Unfortunately since I don't think anyone in my area will be running a game, I've been coming up with a game to run rather than a character to play Smiley

Some time ago a previous family in charge of the Lord Ruler's Atium supply decided to try and expand the business. They secretly, over the course of years, moved a number of Atium Crystals, some raw geodes, and a moderate cache of Atium itself to a location well away from Luthadel. With these supplies they hoped to be able to setup a second, smaller Pits of Hathsin.

Unfortunately the Crystals never grew, and the Great House was mysteriously wiped out during a house war. Somehow they found all their allies turned against them, signed and documented deals had loopholes they didn't realise, their critical supplies raided and their Mistborn dead in the night (ie, Inquisitors & Obligators carefully manipulated things to ensure the house was destroyed without the Lord Ruler having to reveal that they were messing about with his Atium and doing it publicly).

A moderate noble from an unremarkable house whose family bought out some of the formerly Great House's real estate after their destruction, has recently been found by Obligator bookkeepers to be using and stockpiling more Atium than he should have been able to sensibly acquire.
Is he simply a more shrewd businessman than they thought, able to purchase more Atium than expected? Has he somehow managed to steal Atium from another house? Or did the previous house's efforts really create a new Pits of Hathsin and it has now been uncovered?

The PCs will be nobles from outlying branches of the same house who have come to join this suddenly much-more-prosperous house and help raise it to greatness. However, each PC will be informed of some kind of Secret about their character before it starts. Maybe a couple of people are actually members of the Skaa Rebellion, here to find out information. Perhaps one is a Terris Keeper under the guise of a steward, wanting to study ruins in the area. Perhaps a character is in fact a Kandra pretending to be a Noble to spy on this house...
Skywalker
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 08:49:42 PM »

Unfortunately since I don't think anyone in my area will be running a game, I've been coming up with a game to run rather than a character to play Smiley

Have you checked out the Infrno demos? Mine are NZ time so they are relatively Aussie friendly.

Leviathan
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 09:07:14 PM »

Have you checked out the Infrno demos? Mine are NZ time so they are relatively Aussie friendly.

Hrm. I guess I could try signing up as an alt for tomorrow's game. Unfortunately the rest seem to be while I'm at Christmas with the family and will have no clue what my internet accessibility is. (or so far ahead I haven't a clue what's going on)
Skywalker
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 09:10:47 PM »

Hrm. I guess I could try signing up as an alt for tomorrow's game.

Remember its PST so that Saturday night, 6pm for you.
Leviathan
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 09:13:51 PM »

Hrm. I guess I could try signing up as an alt for tomorrow's game.

Remember its PST so that Saturday night, 6pm for you.

Yep, 6-11pm Smiley
And done, I'm now you're second Alt. So do we get assigned a character when we start, or do we pick one of the Sample Heroes ourselves?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 09:19:59 PM by Leviathan » Logged
Skywalker
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 09:26:26 PM »

I think this is a threadjack, so I will PM you.
Haven
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2011, 03:40:21 AM »

So I was looking through the book and I decided to write up Haven and post him here. I'll do my best to re-create the format and to leave out anything that would violate the copyright of the book, if I do so unknowlingly let me know and I'll pull it down:

Character Name: Postwick (Haven)
Concept: Smoker crew leader.
Crew Name: MistWatch Cause: Liberation Target: Steel Ministry Method: Assassination
Race: Noble Sex:M Age:26 Height: 6' Weight:250

Attributes.         Standing.      Resilience
Physique:6.       Resources:3.   Health:9
Charm:3.          Influence:3.    Reputation:6
Wits:4.              Spirit:2.         Willpower:6

Traits
Drive: Avenge my Partner
Profession: Metallurgist
Speciality: A safe place to work.
Feature: Thick-set
Personality: Long-suffering

Tragedy: I got my partner killed(and can still hear him blaming me)
Destiny: Stop the Inqusitors from culling Allomancers of ANY type.

Powers
Metal.    Type.       Rating.  Charges.   Stunts.
Copper. Allomancy. 5.          3.           Extend Mental Protection
Pewter. Hemalurgy. 4.                       Dormant, cannot be used at this time.

Equipment
Dueling cane.  Prop
Misting Vial. 3 charges Copper. Prop
Craftsman's tools(Metallurgy). Prop

I really enjoy the character creation system and I found myself fleshing out and tweaking the character as I read through the questions. His past as a bodyguard alongside his Thug partner started coming out in my trait and attribute choices. His Metallurgy shop went from a cozy hole in the wall to a rundown place that just opened up between a pet shop(specializing in dogs) and a restaurant(where most of the dogs end up). It became more apparent to me that he had just started down this metallurgist path. Suddenly Haven became a retired tough, after his horrible experience he got out of the game and opened up a shop. But it's through his shop, and the connections it gives him to the Skaa Misting community, that he got drawn back in and his destiny became clear.

As for his spike, I didn't want to give it up as its a good twist to his backstory but I knew I couldn't start with it in play. So I decided(and will run by my Narrator  if I ever get a chance to play him) that he does have the spike... He just doesn't know what it can do. He attributes the burning of any latent pewter in his system to "adrenaline rushes" and will continue to do so until he can buy it.

And there he is.

Edit: So I was looking over the character and something hit me. I chose "A safe place to work" for one of my traits. I did so thinking of Haven's shop. It just struck me that the tait does double duty, referring to the shop but also to his Coppercloud, a safe place to work Allomancy. Have I mentioned I love this system?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 04:08:55 AM by Haven » Logged
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2011, 06:30:46 PM »

That's awesome! Thanks for the kind words about the game and the character creation system. We think it's something really special, and it's wonderful to see folks embracing it. Smiley

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO

bigbobbiek2
Crafty n00b

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 03:39:46 PM »

My first character I am thinking of a Skaa woman who worked for one of the Noble Houses as a servant. One of the house's noble gentleman became infatuated with her, and they started a relationship. Convinced that he loved her, she really gave herself to him. After several months, though, he lost interest and in the Noble fashion set out to kill her to prevent any children from the relationship. While beating her with his cane, she Snapped and with trace amounts of pewter in her system from eating utensils and such, she fought back and killed him, then made an escape from the house. Now a Pewter-arm, she's trained herself to use her abilities against the nobility, working as an Assassin for hire for other noble houses. She hates the lifestyle and society that the nobles partake in more than the actual nobles themselves, a world where a man can beat his lover to death because he's done with her disturbs her greatly. With her knowledge of Noble etiquette and dress, she disguises herself to infiltrate the target's house and then uses her looks to disarm those around her and isolate her target, and strikes when no one is around.

Using Haven's awesome format:

Character Name: Serray
Concept: Bitter young Skaa assassin
Race: Skaa Sex:F Age:20 Height: 5' 5"' Weight:130

Attributes          Standing         Resilience
Physique:2        Resources:4   Health:6
Charm:4            Influence:5     Reputation:9
Wits:3               Spirit:4           Willpower:7

Traits
Drive: Punish Nobles for crimes against Skaa
Profession: Assassin
Speciality: Skilled Infiltration
Feature: Attractive
Personality: Demure

Tragedy: Betrayed by someone I loved
Destiny: Teach the Nobles to respect the Skaa

Powers
Metal.    Type.       Rating.  Charges.   Stunts.

Pewter  Allomancy  5           3            Prodigious Strength

Equipment
Formal CLothers   Prop
2 Misting Vials  3 charges Pewter. Prop
Disguise               Prop
« Last Edit: December 18, 2011, 04:09:07 PM by bigbobbiek2 » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: