Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 31, 2014, 07:16:56 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Off-Topic
| | |-+  Good Anime?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Good Anime?  (Read 2569 times)
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2012, 08:03:08 PM »

Just watched Princess Mononoke the other night.  It was the English DUB released by Miramax.  I understand that the soundtrack was changed in the English release but the music seemed to fit most if not all the scenes, so I can't complain.  The animation was beautifully done and was very smooth.  There was a little CG for one of the more interesting effects but it is only in about 5 minutes of a 134 minute film.  The cinematography (if animation can be said to have cinematography) was also excellent.  I'll leave some thoughts on the plot and themes in spoiler tags for those that haven't seen it yet.

My only complaint was the voice acting.  Not that it was bad, by any means.  It was merely that it seemed ... off in a few places.  As if the translation had gotten away from the source material - that is to say the Japanese text.  This is the only anime that I have considered watching the SUB; however, the copy I borrowed from the library did not have a SUB option.

(click to show/hide)

Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2012, 09:39:28 PM »

Anime is a foreign medium. It has different conventions and story telling techniques. Applying european standards to it will lead to heartache and confusion. It makes much heavier use of archetypes and stock characters then serious cinema and theater do in the west due to differences between western theater and Japanese theater. A lot of movies and series have main characters with essentially no backstory and the barest of traits seperating them from a generic example of their type. Similar to commedia del'arte.

Ashitaka and San fall in love because that's what happens to the noble warrior and the mysterious girl. Undying eternal love at first sight (or close to it) is the norm. Elements of duty and debt also are at play here too.

But even that isn't all that outside the norm in the west. It's a fairy tale. Do you feel Sleeping Beauty falling in love with Prince Charming is forced? Or Romeo and Juliet?

Once you move off of the mass marketed stuff it becomes more important to remember the foreign element and differences in language and culture.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2012, 12:47:57 AM »

But even that isn't all that outside the norm in the west. It's a fairy tale. Do you feel Sleeping Beauty falling in love with Prince Charming is forced? Or Romeo and Juliet?

Once you move off of the mass marketed stuff it becomes more important to remember the foreign element and differences in language and culture.

To a certain extent, yes, I've always felt that the love elements in those stories were forced as well.  Yes, I understand that they are fairy tales (Sleeping Beauty and Princess Mononoke) or are based on historic concepts of love (R&J*) but that doesn't mean I have to LIKE said elements.  And that is what I was commenting on.

Yes, I am aware that cultural differences are important to notice and respect.  I had the privilege of living in Peru for two years and it was only at the end of that two years that I really started to understand the jokes and TV shows.  This, despite being conversationally fluent in Spanish at around the 6 to 8 month mark.  And Peru shares more of my cultural reference points than Japan.  Or perhaps better said, my cultural reference points are more similar to those of the people living in Peru compared to those living in Japan.

Nonetheless, I enjoy anime because it presents complex stories - at least the anime I like does - in a medium that happens to ignore the special effect budget**, which is nice.

To each their own, I suppose.

* And let's not forget that Shakespeare understood he had to sell tickets to keep a roof over his head, so he gave people what they wanted.
**Not technically true; however, it is much, much less than a Hollywood blockbuster.

Moebius
Agent

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2012, 12:56:55 AM »

Yes. This. And now it's sequel series - The Legend of Korra.

Also, I didn't see Last Exile mentioned, yet.

There was an espionage/spy anime that was OK called L/R (or Licensed by Royal) for you Spycraft fans.

ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2012, 01:02:53 AM »

Yes. This. And now it's sequel series - The Legend of Korra.

Indeed.  The Last Airbender was watched by the whole family.  So far, I'm the only one interested in Korra, but I like.

glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2012, 01:19:00 AM »

I may have missed a few, so do pardon me.

- Evangelion: yes, i'm an Eva fanboy. And whilst I liked Rebuild a lot, was a new character entirely necessary?

- Gunbuster: Ok, so I like Mecha. This is IMHO the most epic anime ever (sillyness of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann aside), and the return home at the end of the final episode is just great.

- Uchū no Senshi/Starship Troopers: See, this is how Starship Troopers should have been.

- Bubblegum Crisis: The original, not the god awful remake. A classic.

- Gunsmith Cats: It was because of this show that in 1996 I fell in love with the '67 Shelby Cobra. Very stylish, very funny, and if you're a gun nut you'll love it.

VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2012, 01:21:20 AM »

While I have never been a big anime watcher, I saw all of Bubblegum Crisis in college. I loved it.

Living Spycraft Masterm
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2012, 06:48:51 AM »

- Gunsmith Cats: It was because of this show that in 1996 I fell in love with the '67 Shelby Cobra. Very stylish, very funny, and if you're a gun nut you'll love it.
This one is all manner of shiny, and they get all the little details right.  They did their homework.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2012, 04:18:45 PM »

Watched Perfect Blue last night.  I enjoyed it but am still working through all the plot elements in my head.  It is one trippy ride.

Valentina
Control

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2012, 09:04:20 PM »

El-Hazard makes me tear up.
Important qualifier: you have to like Tenchi-Muyo.
Once you got that, EH starts strong and only improves.

"Cui bono?" -Lucius Cassius Longinus Ravilla, 127 BCE.

"Hier stehe ich, ich kann nicht anders" -Martin Luthor, 1483-1546.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: