Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 22, 2014, 06:44:01 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  ...and then I took an Arrow to the Knee. [FC Level 0 PCs /Random Quick NPCs]
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: ...and then I took an Arrow to the Knee. [FC Level 0 PCs /Random Quick NPCs]  (Read 2502 times)
LordKruelos
Handler

View Profile
« on: December 09, 2011, 06:35:35 PM »

(The title is Parks' fault.)
So in case you don't know:
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/i-took-an-arrow-in-the-knee

“I Took an Arrow in the Knee” is a catchphrase from the role-playing video game The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim which inspired the snowclone phrasal template “I used to X, then I took an arrow to the knee.”

This is an idea I've been trying out for when someone new drops in for a session and you want to give them some sense of making a character in FC rather than just using a pre-made character

So I have 3 colors of notecards aligned in 4 rows  --  
Orange - 10x [Species/Talent]
Yellow - 10x [Specialty],
White - 20x Feats, including any feats granted from Origins.

If someone drops in to play for a night, I have them pick:
Origin * Pick 1 each from the Orange and Yellow columns.
Feats  * Pick 2 (White Cards) + bonus from Origins
Attributes * Assign 36 points as normal

(Since sometimes literally these are people walking in 10 minutes before game starts for the first time, I've streamlined skills as follows)
Skills * On their blank Character Sheet, I have them pick
-- 2 Origin Skills. Each Origin Skill
-- [Int Modifier] "Trained" skills

These Characters now get treated as having [Average level +3] ranks in the skill, and you can start play from there -- this works well with low level (1-3) games and has interested some people enough to read the FC book.

Ability modifiers apply as normal, give them Action Dice, and then have them level up at the end of the session in whatever class they want if they are interested in completing building out a 1st level character, etc.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 06:43:18 PM by LordKruelos » Logged
Gentry
Powered By Publisher
Control

It's a Trap!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 08:59:06 PM »

I love it. I can't read all the cards, though. I assume you drop the "weird" species? And do you have the mechanics for each on the card backs?

I'm a secret VAO Control (Shh!)

Check out Wyrmstone for FC Open Source campaigning

Have you joined Knife Rights yet?

Live and game in Flyover Country? Join Tornado Alley Game Guil
LordKruelos
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 10:00:54 PM »

I love it. I can't read all the cards, though. I assume you drop the "weird" species?
I picked 10 that are well suited for my campaign (ie don't require a lot of explaining how they happen to be there - part of why it's useful for anyone is you the GM can tailor it to what you want pretty easily

And do you have the mechanics for each on the card backs?

I think we both know the answer. I wouldn't be much of an obsessive fan if I didn't, would I?
LordKruelos
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 08:42:09 AM »

Species/Talents (Orange): Dwarf, Pech, Agile, Nimble, Ruthless, Savage, Striking, Unpredictable, Vigilant, Wily

Specialties (Yellow): Adventurer, Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Criminal, Fencer, Fist, Guardian, Mystic, Swindler

Feats (White): Adventurer's Luck, Angry Hornet, Basic Skill Mastery -(Spy), (Pickpocket), Rage Basics, Martial Arts, Bow Basics, Charging Basics, Combat Focus, Blessed, Two-hit Combo, Two-Weapon Fighting, Well-Rounded, The Gift, Elusive, Fencing Basics, Rage Basics, Great Fortitude, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes,
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 12:53:41 PM by LordKruelos » Logged
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 09:07:46 AM »

Cool idea.  I'd seriously consider not writing what they were on the tops, could make for an interesting way to make characters - especially for those gamers who spent over well an hour just deciding what they are going to build, then a few more doing the building (you know who you are).  Like character roulette.

Also, you may have seen this, but what they hey (tangentially related):

(click to show/hide)
LordKruelos
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 09:13:56 AM »

Cool idea.  I'd seriously consider not writing what they were on the tops, could make for an interesting way to make characters - especially for those gamers who spent over well an hour just deciding what they are going to build, then a few more doing the building (you know who you are).  Like character roulette.

That's basically the idea as I see it -- that's why only the Name is on one side -- all the game effect info is on the backside, so when people pick them, I can hand them the backside cards for reference through the game session.

Again, I  use this primarily as a solution for the short/no notice drop-in players.

If someone has the time to start flipping through the cards, I'd just hand them the book
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 11:21:43 AM »

I meant totally random.  You have a heap of completely blank cards in front of you and you have to take an orange, a yellow and a white - and BOOM, that's your surprise character.  Like some games have a random character generator involving dice.
LordKruelos
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 12:46:52 PM »

How about rolling it on a table?
Accomplishes the same thing, then you hand out the cards with the info written on them (definitely don't want to have to account for 2 different sets)
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 12:49:11 PM »

Well, it's not everyone's cup of tea but I like it.  I enjoyed the feel of rolling up a character and not knowing what it would be until the process was done.

However, you need some mechanism to make sure non-spellcasters don't end up with spellcasting feats and what not.

LordKruelos
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 01:01:09 PM »

As-is, it works similar to the "Fast and Dirty Expendables" from Cyberpunk back in the day.

Step 1 - Assign Attributes
Step 2 - Pick an Origin (Yellow + Orange) and 2 Origin Skills
Step 3 - Pick [Int Mod] Trained skills
Step 4 - Pick Feats (Choose 2, plus feat(s) from your Origin
Step 5 - Roll for Armor & Weapons on table X
Soulcatcher
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2011, 01:08:00 PM »

Well, it's not everyone's cup of tea but I like it.  I enjoyed the feel of rolling up a character and not knowing what it would be until the process was done.

However, you need some mechanism to make sure non-spellcasters don't end up with spellcasting feats and what not.

Simple: If that happens, reroll the feat.
LordKruelos
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2011, 01:16:09 PM »

Well, it's not everyone's cup of tea but I like it.  I enjoyed the feel of rolling up a character and not knowing what it would be until the process was done.

Simple: If that happens, reroll the feat.

Also, since this is introducing some of the flexability and ease of use that is MasterCraft to an unsuspecting rube off the street, I'd rather them have the experience of picking, just from a more limited set of options.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 01:29:19 PM by LordKruelos » Logged
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Don’t believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2011, 02:22:44 PM »

Brilliant! We may have to steal this idea for next year's Gen Con demos. Smiley

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
LordKruelos
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2011, 02:31:28 PM »

I thought of something similar for 10kB -- base it around
http://www.theyfightcrime.org/
Fiendbasher
Agent

Good ≠ Nice

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2011, 08:24:59 PM »

I thought of something similar for 10kB -- base it around
http://www.theyfightcrime.org/

A suave catholic shaman from the 'hood? How to make that work...?
Oh, I got this. Santeria.  Grin
Actually that sounds potentially awesome.

As for the cards, funny I was thinking of coming up with something similar for Con games... you beat me to it!

"I knew you were going to say that..."
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: