Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 28, 2014, 03:35:31 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  NPC as PC
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: NPC as PC  (Read 828 times)
the331st
Agent

View Profile
« on: December 04, 2011, 06:01:46 AM »

So I understand completely that the NPC rules were designed with the intention of taking on PCs, but I have to ask, has anyone done a PC with NPC rules?
Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control

Woot, I got a new hat! :P

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 02:48:47 PM »

I did this in Spycraft for a one-off convention game and it worked pretty well.  Since the need for PC advancement wasn't an issue, it meant we could just pick a TL and figure the stats for everything, PCs and NPCs alike.

I don't think it would work as well in a campaign-style game.

Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.
paddyfool
Control

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 04:27:43 PM »

I was mulling over a game to have a "becoming the hero", level 0-style gaming (where all the characters started out as ordinary blokes, young apprentices, etc. etc.), and one of the ideas I had was to have a low-XP character build option.  With the idea that they'd then have to come up with some creative solutions to what would be simple challenges even at level 1, and to show the distance between the heroes and ordinary mortals more starkly.  Never got around to fleshing it out though...

The other ideas for enabling this style were either (a) to give people about half of what they'd get at first level - e.g. half the skill points, half the vitality, half the skill cap, the feat from their speciality but nothing else, their class' core ability but not the level 1 ability etc., or (b) (my favourite option) to start out with several of the Campaign Options that make heroes weaker/more fragile, and turn them off as the heroes level.
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 08:48:10 PM »

A friend of mine also did a one off using the NPC rules. Said that it was great fun but that it wouldn't work for a full out game. At least in his opinion - one I trust.

EDIT: Extraneous letter removal.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 02:35:53 AM by ludomastro » Logged

Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 10:22:18 PM »

I can imagine it working short term for some groups, but not for me - I'd spend most of the pre-game setup saying "no, you can't have that quality" (so often that it'd be easier to record myself and make an ap to just have it said to the players).

For a full game, the big problem would be advancement, having a static character forever wouldn't be very cool (they do get TL advancement, but I mean new skills, feats and tricks) and it'd be hard to figure out a number that works.
Psion
Control

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2011, 10:47:22 PM »

I did this in Spycraft for a one-off convention game and it worked pretty well. 

But did you have a battle-walrus?  Grin

The Secret Volcano Base: my RPG blog currently discussing Fantasy Craft and Freeport!
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2011, 10:29:55 AM »

I was mulling over a game to have a "becoming the hero", level 0-style gaming (where all the characters started out as ordinary blokes, young apprentices, etc. etc.), and one of the ideas I had was to have a low-XP character build option.  With the idea that they'd then have to come up with some creative solutions to what would be simple challenges even at level 1, and to show the distance between the heroes and ordinary mortals more starkly.  Never got around to fleshing it out though...

The other ideas for enabling this style were either (a) to give people about half of what they'd get at first level - e.g. half the skill points, half the vitality, half the skill cap, the feat from their speciality but nothing else, their class' core ability but not the level 1 ability etc., or (b) (my favourite option) to start out with several of the Campaign Options that make heroes weaker/more fragile, and turn them off as the heroes level.

Well, in SC2.0, a Level 1 PC had 1,000 XP, because there was a line for Level 0 Characters.

They had 2d4 action dice, 2 Interests, 6 Vitality, and their Origin benefits (including their Specialty’s bonus feat). They didn't have a base class (no class abilities, since you don't have one yet), skill points (which meant everything was untrained and capped at 15), proficiencies (more untrained), or Subplots (which worked differently, so you can ignore it).

It was a very humbling experience to earn 1,000 XP like that.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
paddyfool
Control

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 10:52:56 AM »

Well, in SC2.0, a Level 1 PC had 1,000 XP, because there was a line for Level 0 Characters.

They had 2d4 action dice, 2 Interests, 6 Vitality, and their Origin benefits (including their Specialty’s bonus feat). They didn't have a base class (no class abilities, since you don't have one yet), skill points (which meant everything was untrained and capped at 15), proficiencies (more untrained), or Subplots (which worked differently, so you can ignore it).

It was a very humbling experience to earn 1,000 XP like that.

I'm now tempted to see how that would work out in FC.  Although I might make the goal just 500 XP, particularly if I was doing it pbp.
LordKruelos
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 08:25:29 PM »

Honestly, my favorite part of FantasyCraft is ignoring the XP system completely and everything works fine.
spinningdice
Control

The power of the Dice compels you!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 03:34:21 AM »

When I was writing notes for doing 0 level gaming (which I never got to run) I was intending to give 1/4 (i.e. the base amount) of the 1st level skill points, and just ignore class skills (i.e. assume all skills are class skills).
It'd mean that the character might end up with some "cheap" skills, but I can't stomach that any adult (or teen,  if you want it that way) human, never mind hero would have no skills.
paddyfool
Control

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 07:03:36 AM »

What about a token rank in each origin skill?
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 08:05:47 AM »

Treat origin skills as trained.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: