Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 02, 2014, 10:02:08 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  BFG3k's, Redeemers and things that go BOOM!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: BFG3k's, Redeemers and things that go BOOM!  (Read 3972 times)
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2007, 03:42:49 PM »

Heh, with recoil scores that revel in being not fit for human opperation Smiley.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
foproy
Control

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2007, 04:05:55 PM »

i dunno a compensator, a high strength score starting out, and the appropriate origins, test subject and something else that boost strength you could use them without penalty. of course the rest of your attributes will be nothing, but you could handle both guns.

Jesus loves you, he died for your sins. Protoman hates you, he died for them twice. - Anonymous
Valentina
Control

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2007, 04:59:43 PM »

Armor Buster swords:
Developed in conjuction with the SOLDIER program, these massive weapons were conceived of as a dual-use tool against Wutai's powerful summoned guardians.
The first is as an anti-armor weapon. Heavy and broad bladed the design is optimized for splitting armor plating and chitin alike, with the additional benefit of smashing aside/through Wutai's preferred graceful but fragile bastard swords.
The second is that the broad z-axis of the blade grants a truly adept user a measure of cover against blasts and waves of energy like those commonly employed by Wutai's Shugenja Corps and various summoned entities.
Now given that the standard issue SOLDIER Buster weapons are little more then sharpened I-Beams with handles, they're also generally limited to the SOLDIERS themselves. Conventional soldiers are better served by rifles, batons, and team tactics not involving headlong charges at enormous dragon-giant-demon-beasts.

So it's been done, but why not one more try? =]

Armor Buster Sword:
Cal. IV
3d4+1, 19-20, 1-3, GAR (2), INA (3), Keen (10), MAS, RGD,
50lbs.

So...the hard part is working balance, and I don't think I succeeded. AP seems sensible, but Keen actually works even better. Given the magnitude of it's expected targets hits need to be seriously edge-on and aimed at joints and thinner bones so produce useful effects.
It occurred to me earlier that if one was attempting to hack to bits something really titanic trips to the Table of Ouch might be more useful then damage crits. Figure our Smaug-alike's got DR 20+, and adding AP (3) to the equation results in lots of nothing. Taking half of that out with a high Keen value and this is a battle far more manageable when the beast's less a limb or two (also, by my observation, Keen is cheaper then AP balance-wise). Big things have correspondingly high Wounds, so perhaps it works better to take the long view and tear it up piecemeal instead of just hoping for a really lucky shot. I've noticed one reeeeeal important distinction 'twixt D20 and Teew-point-oh is that conventional D20 almost all high DR has a bypass material of some kind. And any mauler with wits learns to treasure his golf bag 'o doom. Haven't seen that in 2.0, and I'm creepingly skeptical it'll be there at all.
So anyway, yeah. Big blade, higher average damage but an increased error range -this is a weapon _very_ capable of running away with it's wielder and causing friendly fatalities.
I was tempted to modify it's MAS threshold to 16str, but I think upping the weight works just as well. At 50lbs it's a serious encumbrance issue that just reinforces the need for it's bearer to be strong.
...ok, I'd like to up the Keen value to 15, but that's probably totally excessive. Nothing gets even close to even 10, so nm....
Thoughts?

And while I said so, I have no idea how to add Cover to a weapon. So, the higher GAR bonus instead.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2007, 05:01:59 PM by Valentina » Logged

"Cui bono?" -Lucius Cassius Longinus Ravilla, 127 BCE.

"Hier stehe ich, ich kann nicht anders" -Martin Luthor, 1483-1546.
OverNinja
Control

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2007, 05:54:08 PM »

The Armor Buster swords are from Final Fantasy, right?

"If somebody is worth shooting once, they're worth shooting twice."
"Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security."
Toccata
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2007, 05:57:31 PM »

Final Fantasy VII, specifically.

Fnord.
Antilles
Mastermind
Control

Do I look like a people person?

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2007, 12:14:58 PM »

This should give you a rough idea of how the sword looks... Well, a sword, anyways...

"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2007, 02:15:09 PM »

Compensating much?

spinningdice
Control

The power of the Dice compels you!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2007, 06:21:14 AM »

FF never really did much for me, I don't mind oversized swords, but there are limits...
OverNinja
Control

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2007, 08:36:59 AM »

I've bnever played any of FF games  Embarrassed.

I do, however, recognize Yuna, Rikku, Payne, Yuffie and Tifa on sight  Grin.
Otherwise my knowledge is quite limited.

"If somebody is worth shooting once, they're worth shooting twice."
"Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security."
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: