Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 14, 2014, 03:24:34 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  License to Improvise
| | |-+  2 Weapon fighting
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2 Weapon fighting  (Read 806 times)
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« on: November 09, 2011, 02:51:43 PM »

Rewrite Darting & Flashing weapon to "You may take a [Blah] action to make a total of [blah] standard attacks with any readied weapons for which you possess a forte", add the caveat to Flashing that you must decide what type of combat feat the chain will count as, and stick them in Basic Combat.

Neatly covers all possible combinations, addresses the fact that currently Captains who fight two-handed in melee are objectively better than those that use any other fighting style and opens the way for a wider range of baddassery. Because these two feats, regardless of which tree they pop up in, are just about using a weapon quickly.

Thus the way is now clear for:

Two Weapon Basics
You've become quite comfortable using two weapons at once.
     Prerequisites: Arrow Cutting or Parry or Shield Block advanced action
     Benefit: You may treat one guard bonus to Defence as an insight bonus. You also gain a stance.
     Dual Wield Stance (Stance): You may apply the guard bonus from your readied weapons to your check when making Distract, Feint, Intimidate and Tire actions, but your error range on these checks increases by 1. You must make a successful tumble check to move while in this stance.

Two Weapon Mastery
You've learned how to make the space you control with a weapon in each hand safe.
     Prerequisites: Two Weapon Basics
     Benefit: When armed with two weapons possessing the guard quality, you cannot be flanked. You also gain a trick.
     Crossed Blades (Arrow Cutting, Parry or Shield Block trick): If you have two or more weapons armed, at least one of which possess the guard quality, you may roll your save twice and keep the result you prefer.

Two Weapon Supremacy
Being anywhere near you while you're armed with multiple weapons is a punishing experience.
     Prerequisites: Two Weapon Mastery
     Benefit: When armed with two 1-handed weapons, they are both considered to possess the guard quality if they do not already possess it, and the total guard bonus they generate increases by the number of feats you possess in the appropriate tree +1. You also gain a trick.
     Bring a friend (standard attack trick): Your attack gains the rend quality, but the free attack must be made using a different weapon to the one that triggered it. If either attack fails, you become flatfooted.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 06:13:37 PM by Mister Andersen » Logged

Deral
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 03:35:40 PM »

Really like this and have honestly been meaning to throw something of this sort together, I never really was a big fan of the restrictions on Darting/flashing, and relegating Two Weapon to basic only.

That being said- any reason this must be "two 1-handed weapons"? If you've got the hands, why not 2 2-handed, or 1 2-handed and 1 1-handed, or four weapons for that matter (though your wording doesn't seem to exclude MORE than 2 weapons), I don't see any real reason why the wording doesn't work as "armed with at least two weapons" or "have at least two weapons readied."

The only other things that stand out to me is that the passive "cannot be flanked" seems a little powerful for a second tier feat, maybe a lesser version of the same, something like "suffer no penalties from being flanked" so that Sneak Attack still goes off or you could, on the opposite side of things, do something like Sneak Attack resistance or the Two-Headed "only flanked by 3 or more" (yeah that's a little fiddly).

In fact, looking at these, not that I'm a nut about feats or anything, but I'd almost like to see them split into Sword & Board Basics (Guard weapons) and, lets say, Dual Wielding Basics (2+ weapons/double weapons), as right now the feats are a little back and forth on needing the Guard quality.

Great job so far, though
Mister Andersen
Control

I'm leaving for a destination I still don't know

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 06:00:37 PM »

Staff Basics gives you a weapon independent stance that prevents flanking, so having that as an always on ability for a limited subset of weapons seems right for a 2nd tier feat.

The edits (in cyan) strengthen the chain's thematic link, and the third tier feat ensures that the 1st two retain their utility.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 06:15:30 PM by Mister Andersen » Logged

Deral
Handler

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 09:21:52 PM »

Staff Basics gives you a weapon independent stance that prevents flanking, so having that as an always on ability for a limited subset of weapons seems right for a 2nd tier feat.

Fair enough, for some reason my mind was putting more restriction on the Staff Basics flank immunity than there is, being flanked by Special characters isn't an exceptionally common event.

What category are you intending for these feats, by the way? They certainly lean toward Melee, but placing them in Melee Combat (or making them a choice of Melee/Ranged) means that Supremacy gives at least a +4 defense (While you have two weapons out). Is that worse than doing RAW Two Weapon Guard and Shield Supremacy with two shields- not especially, I suppose, but something sits off about it to me.
For the rare instance of someone using a ranged weapon and a melee weapon together as their two weapons, the wording of the extra guard bonus is a little confusing too- which feat category would be applied there? (unless you choose Two-Weapon's category from Melee or Ranged, then I'd assume the category used is the same as Two-Weapon for you)

I like the crossed blades edit, though, opens up having just an off-hand guard weapon like a main gauche.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 09:25:37 PM by Deral » Logged
Sletchman
Control

Gentleman Scholar.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 09:55:20 PM »

In fact, looking at these, not that I'm a nut about feats or anything, but I'd almost like to see them split into Sword & Board Basics (Guard weapons) and, lets say, Dual Wielding Basics (2+ weapons/double weapons), as right now the feats are a little back and forth on needing the Guard quality.

That's something I've been thinking about today, as a set of [Weapon] Style feats (not the style subsection, so the name might not total work in that regard) for some of the more iconic and flavoursome fighting styles.

Example:

Sword and Board Style
Requires: Sword Basics, Shield Basics (?? - Example only)
Benefit: When making Shield Block actions you add your shield's Guard bonus to your save.  Also gain a fairly beefy trick or stance.  Likely another small passive bonus, too.

Depending on what tier of feat it slides into (based on Pre-reqs from other chains), it can have somewhat substantial bonuses and really lock down a specific fighting style (such as emulating specific characters from fighting games or films).  The example is just off the top of my head.
spinningdice
Control

The power of the Dice compels you!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 02:12:19 PM »

Technique or school would be better options (though school is already taken for spells?), though to be honest I can't see why you couldn't just have 'Sword & Board basics/mastery/supremacy'
pawsplay