Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2014, 05:03:37 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Fantasy Craft
| | |-+  Maul and war hammer do subdual damage?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Maul and war hammer do subdual damage?  (Read 9275 times)
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: January 16, 2012, 10:42:32 PM »

I think it needs to be repeated ...

Crafty, specifically Pat, has stated what their view is on it and that it does not need to be errataed.

Additionally, the FantasyCraft motto is: "Your Dungeon, Your Dragon, Your Way." Unlike D&D, where everything needed to be codified and people still houseruled stuff the way they wanted anyway, you can houserule the change in your game. Just make sure all your players know this. We've said to many a D&D player new to these forums about FC: You need to unlearn what you have learned. ....

The official ruling has been given. If you disagree, then change it for your home game. Simple.

Crusader Citadel

Living Spycraft Mastermind Council Member

Crafty For Life!
Antilles
Mastermind
Control

Do I look like a people person?

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 17, 2012, 02:45:12 AM »

As I mentioned earlier, it doesn't need errata-ing, though it could do with a paragraph or two in the clarifications section. Getting it down in writing that in some cases 'immunity to subdual' is meant to be 'immunity to being worn out and knocked unconscious' rather than 'immunity to most blunt weapons' and that a GM can and probably should take steps to keep such weapons effective, such as example 1 or example 2, would do wonders to prevent some of the confusion that has cropped up several times in these kinds of threads.

Yes, it's basically reiterating rule zero, but in my experience some GM's and players need the occasional reminder of it.

"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
Seekerofshadowlight
Jr. Agent

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 17, 2012, 08:02:57 AM »

yeah, the intent is not all that clear, sometimes the "explanations" in this thread have made it less clear not more so.
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: January 17, 2012, 09:23:41 AM »

As I mention, we've flagged it as something to look at the next time we do an errata update or related product. Until then, honestly, run with the rule that works best for you. That is, after all, the point of the system. Smiley

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
Morgenstern
Control

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 18, 2012, 05:42:36 AM »

If subdual doesn't mean "knock unconscious," I don't see the point of the damage type.

All the intermediate steps of Fatigued I to IV are pretty desirable as an attacker Smiley.

At your own pace: Do. It. Now.
How about some pie? - Heroes of the Expanse
Crafty_Pat
Crafty Staff
Control

End of the World? Donít believe the hype.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: January 18, 2012, 07:52:29 AM »

If subdual doesn't mean "knock unconscious," I don't see the point of the damage type.

All the intermediate steps of Fatigued I to IV are pretty desirable as an attacker Smiley.

Still doesn't justify it conceptually, but the conversation's moved past the point regardless.

Patrick Kapera
Crafty Games
www.crafty-games.com

UPDATES/PRESS INFO
Mailing List: http://bit.ly/14FJIw7
RSS: www.crafty-games.com/needtoknow
Facebook: www.facebook.com/craftygames
Twitter: www.twitter.com/Crafty_Games
YouTube: www.youtube.com/craftyhomeoffice

In game terms, reality is b
pawsplay
Powered By Publisher
Control

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 06, 2012, 02:50:37 AM »

Or add the spiked quality. Instant transfer to lethal within the rules. Ta da.

That does not solve the issue with the damage type and weapons themselves however. People will find ways to house rule it but there seems to be a disconnect between what the damage type is meant to do, weapon types and creatures themselves.Something being immune to being knocked out is not the same as something that is immune to subdual, if subdual can damage objects and brake bones.

I've never quite understood the persistence of the "comedy-style brain injury" meme in action films, but FC and the other Crafty games seem to accept this trope. It does have a strange interaction when it comes to hammers and inanimate objects. In real life, if you get knocked out by a blow to the head, and are unconscious more than about a minute, you've probably lost some fraction of an IQ point, permanently. That's setting aside the possibility you might suffer from temporary (or somewhat permanent) visual impairment, emotional control issues that can persist months or even years, etc. In some ways, being hit by a maul is a lot more "lethal" than a sword blow; slashing and piercing channels can be narrow enough that they may not cost you much besides lost blood and a funny scar. But if someone hits you with a sledge hammer? Even if it just hits your femur or something, ouch. You ain't goin' to the Olympics this year.
SilvercatMoonpaw
Control

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 06, 2012, 09:41:03 AM »

I've never quite understood the persistence of the "comedy-style brain injury" meme in action films.....
Because the alternative is as you describe.  Honestly is there any easy way to render someone unconscious in Real Life that doesn't have some possibility of horrible side-effects?
Agent 333
Control

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 06, 2012, 06:36:27 PM »

I've never quite understood the persistence of the "comedy-style brain injury" meme in action films.....
Because the alternative is as you describe.  Honestly is there any easy way to render someone unconscious in Real Life that doesn't have some possibility of horrible side-effects?

Sleeper holds tend to be relatively side-effect free.

When all your problems are nails, all your tools start looking like hammers.
pawsplay