Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 31, 2014, 08:09:25 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Play-by-Post
| | |-+  Fallout PbP: Reap the Whirlwind (In Character)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fallout PbP: Reap the Whirlwind (In Character)  (Read 7407 times)
Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control

Woot, I got a new hat! :P

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 11, 2012, 04:40:25 PM »

"If you can't disarm them, put them somewhere they won't hurt Empire City if they go off."

Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.
glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 12, 2012, 02:33:31 AM »

Within an hour, it's all done. The roadblocks have been searched, and the other 4 bombs have been found. Alice has taken the 6 bombs that you know of and placed them at what she thinks are likely spots for Enclave snipers to perch. That said, you've only found 6 bombs, and there are supposed to be 7. That can't be good.

The sheriff and the mayor ask you all to come down to the Overseer's office for a meeting. Elsie has apparently been speaking to Jim, Ruth, Heather and Greg, and they've come up with a few possible solutions to the situation. The mayor is also prepared to entertain Hondo's idea of an alliance with the Enclave. It's early evening now, and it looks like rain is on the way. You really don't want to be caught outside when it rains.

(click to show/hide)

VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 14, 2012, 08:50:59 AM »

Some 30 minutes later, you all gather in the Overseer's office. Present is Mayor Walters, Sheriff Armstrong, Jim Clements, Hondo, Alice, Marcus and Elsie. The mayor sits behind the Overseer's desk, and the Sheriff stands just behind him and off to the right, with his trademark plasma rifle cradled in his arms. Jim and the rest of you sit in a series of mismatched chairs assembled in front of the desk, and two flasks of hot coffee sit on a silver tray on the edge of the desk in front of you. Everyone that wants one has a cup, and thanks to the brahmin cattle farmed nearby they even have fresh milk. The mayor gestures toward you all and says "Ok. It sounds like we have 2 options." He looks at Jim. "Mr. Clements, if you would?"

Jim clears his throat and stands up, smoothing down the front of his robes. "Option number 1: contact my superiors in the Brotherhood of Steel. Our main headquarters for the area is a little way north of here on the edge of the Hudson swamp. Send a delegation to meet with them and offer terms. General Atticus won't be able to turn down the chance of access to a Vault, however minimal, and with the Liberty Vault under threat too he won't stand idly by while the Enclave just move in and ransack the place. He can't. He swore an oath as such; we all did." He pauses for breath. "Now, I know you must be thinking that the Enclave is basically a great big steamroller, right? Well they're not. The Brotherhood have locked horns with them before and given them a bloody nose, and their resources are limited by the lack of infrastructure just like the rest of us. Thier main base is off the west coast, nearly 2 and a half thousand miles from here. Two-and-a-half-THOUSAND miles. Do you have any idea how stretched they are? They won't waste time throwing resources at a lost cause. The Brotherhood has the numbers and the firepower to send them packing out of Ny City. For good."

The mayor glances at the sheriff, who glances back at him and raises an eyebrow. The mayor turns back to you all and asks "Ok, any questions about option 1 before we discuss option 2?"
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 08:55:46 AM by glimmerrat » Logged

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 14, 2012, 06:31:13 PM »

"I had wondered about how much more the Enclave could have around here to bring to bear after their floating base crashed.  I do have one concern, though."  Marcus pauses for a second, considering his words.  "While I don't want to be beholden to the Enclave, I also have no desire to be in debt to the Brotherhood.  It's clear in this case that the Brotherhood has something Ny City wants, and Ny City has something the Brotherhood wants.  I am hoping that we can form a mutually equitable alliance, one that allows both the Brotherhood and Ny City to get what they need while maintaining their sovereignty."

Gentry
Powered By Publisher
Control

It's a Trap!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: July 15, 2012, 08:51:07 AM »

"And that gets the fewest people dead," adds Hondo.

I'm a secret VAO Control (Shh!)

Check out Wyrmstone for FC Open Source campaigning

Have you joined Knife Rights yet?

Live and game in Flyover Country? Join Tornado Alley Game Guil
glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 15, 2012, 03:28:22 PM »

Jim nods at Marcus's comments, replying "An alliance would be the best option for both groups, I think. The Brotherhood certainly wouldn't want to roll up to the front doors and demand unlimited access on pain of death. They'd never do anything to endanger either the Vaults or their populations. I think they'd also be very keen to interview the Vault populations or their descendants" Hondo adds a terse comment about casualties, to which Jim replies "Please be clear on two key points here:

1) the Brotherhood would not expect the Republic's civilian population to fight off the Enclave. They'd see that as their sole responsibility, and their gift to the Republic, along with continued garrisoning. That said, a solid attempt at establishing a defensive line would demonstrate strength and independence, and would only earn their respect.

2) the Brotherhood is not a political entity, and has no interest in anything other than pre-war technology. They aren't interested in territory or tithes, and can only be bargained with if you have something that they want. This Vault and its people is what they want - they want to study it, catalogue it and protect it, and it is a very strong bargaining chip."

Gentry
Powered By Publisher
Control

It's a Trap!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: July 15, 2012, 05:49:07 PM »

"So, you say the Brotherhood would prob'ly go to the mat for Empire, in return for studying ev'rything about it? No king and servant shit, so martial law shit, no none of that? Empire gets protected, Empire stays Empire, you get free run to whatever information's here, and it's cool like that?"

I'm a secret VAO Control (Shh!)

Check out Wyrmstone for FC Open Source campaigning

Have you joined Knife Rights yet?

Live and game in Flyover Country? Join Tornado Alley Game Guil
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: July 15, 2012, 10:00:54 PM »

Alice sat back in her chair with her hand in her lap, watching and listening in silence.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 16, 2012, 12:37:39 AM »

Jim nods emphatically at Hondo. "Yeah, they'll go to bat for the Republic. And no 'king and servant shit' either. However, don't expect any help with territorial disputes, food rationing or politics. We really don't care about anything other than preserving the Vault and its population. Frankly the Enclave could roll over most of Ny City, and as long as they left the Vaults alone we'd be completely neutral on the issue. We just want exclusive access to the Vault's technology and computer systems. That is, we wouldn't stop you guys from using it, as long as you don't let anyone other than you and us use it."

Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 16, 2012, 02:24:58 AM »

Marcus rolls his eyes and says wryly, "Well, its good to know you're one of the good guys."  Looking to Jim, he adds "Personally, I'd have a problem standing idly by while someone else commits genocide.  The hottest places in Hell are reserved for those who in time of great moral crises maintain their neutrality."

Then to the mayor, "What's our second option?"

glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 16, 2012, 06:12:04 AM »

Jim shoots Marcus a look that is half surprise, half anger. "Funny. I'd have thought that the hottest places in hell would've been reserved for the butchers that want to vivisect your children" You're not sure if he looks hurt or offended. "Someone needs to do something to preserve our species technological heritage, Marcus! If we don't, then who will? The Republic? The Enclave? You?" The sheriff raises a placating hand, peering over the top of his mirror shades. "Now now, gents. Let's keep this civil. Mr Clements, you've made your point. Now why don't you take a deep breath before this turns uglier than it needs to?" Jim sighs, and his shoulders sag. He looks over at Marcus and mumbles "Sorry. You hit a raw nerve." The mayor steps in and steers the conversation back on track. "Ok, ok. Thanks Jim. Now, about option number 2?"

Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 16, 2012, 11:19:31 AM »

Marcus looked like he was about to respond again before the mayor intervened.  Instead he took a deep breath.

Marcus replied to Jim's apology, "I'm sorry, too.  You seem to have found a raw nerve I didn't know I had."
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 04:28:17 PM by Bill Whitmore » Logged

Gentry