Author Topic: Fallout PbP: Reap the Whirlwind (In Character)  (Read 10955 times)

glimmerrat

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 3517
  • Iconoclast
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout PbP: Reap the Whirlwind (In Character)
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2011, 12:45:16 AM »
Pursuing the stealthy intruders, the party heads back inside at a swift pace. You take the stairs upwards, briefly pausing to check each floor for signs of intrusion. After several minutes of tense running and kicking open of doors, you alight on the 6th floor landing and push open the fire doors to the main hallway; the door is stopped from opening fully by the body on the floor. Once you manage to push your way into the hall, you check the vicinity for signs of the intruders, and Marcusís ears pick up a sound that the rest of you miss Ė the sound of suppressed weapon fire. You follow his keen senses around several corners until you see Marcus paused at a corner that leads around to the main landing with the elevator core.

Marcus can see a pair of armoured figures crouching over the body of a dead security guard, one of which is going through his pockets. The other is checking the dead manís equipment belt, removing a ring of keys. They are both armed with automatic weapons. A third figure suddenly appears out of thin air with a shimmering crackle, stood upright over the other two. It steps over to the elevator controls and presses the Ďcallí button. They seem to have a pretty clear idea what theyíre up toÖ


Spoiler: show

Alice 19 (WP 14/14, VP 36/36)
Frank 15 (WP 12/12, VP 49/49)
Marcus 14 (WP 14/14, VP 48/48)
Hondo 12 (WP 25/25, VP 55/55)
Elsie 9 (WP 12/12, VP 41/41)
- Tex (appears uninjured)

Round 1

Alice is just behind Marcus, with Hondo.

Frank is standing behind Hondo.

Marcus is closest to the corner, and communicates what he sees to the others.

Hondo is just behind Marcus, with Alice.

Elsie is at the back, wondering what all the fuss is about.

Round 2

Alice 19 (WP 14/14, VP 36/36)
Frank 15 (WP 12/12, VP 49/49)
Marcus 14 (WP 14/14, VP 48/48)
Hondo 12 (WP 25/25, VP 55/55)
Elsie 9 (WP 12/12, VP 41/41)
- Tex (appears uninjured)

ACTIONS PLEASE!

« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 12:57:30 AM by glimmerrat »
VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Bill Whitmore

  • Mastermind
  • Control
  • *****
  • Posts: 2523
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout PbP: Reap the Whirlwind (In Character)
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2011, 02:56:40 PM »
Marcus leans against the wall at the corner, listening to the intruders.  He knows this is going to be dangerous, but he decides he can't wait around for them to stumble upon some other innocent bystander.  Marcus says a quick mental prayer and holds up 3 fingers to his companions, which quickly becomes 2, then 1.  As soon as Marcus' last finger closes into his fist, he rounds the corner and charges right into the intruders.
Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.

Gentry

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 2863
  • It's a Trap!
    • View Profile
    • Wyrmstone Homepage
Re: Fallout PbP: Reap the Whirlwind (In Character)
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2011, 04:56:29 PM »
Hondo whirls around the corner and gives Marcus some cover, the big 12-guage barking loud.

Spoiler: show


If I can 5' step around the corner behind Marcus, I'll do it and shoot whoever I've got a clear shot at.
Blam! 1d20+3=19
For maybe 1d4=4, 1d4=2, 1d4=3, 1d4=4, 1d4=4 damage.
That's not the most efficient way to use the die roller, but I'll take it.  :)  17 damage.

If we get a full round, Hondo shoots again. I'll add that if I get confirmation that we're in a full round and not in a surprise round



I'm a secret VAO Control (Shh!)

Check out Wyrmstone for FC Open Source campaigning

Have you joined Knife Rights yet?

Live and game in Flyover Country? Join Tornado Alley Game Guil

MilitiaJim

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 4708
    • View Profile
    • My lame little LJ
Re: Fallout PbP: Reap the Whirlwind (In Character)
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2011, 10:03:44 PM »
"This is why we can't have nice things," Alice muttered before she let Lady Joan add her voice to the discussion.

Spoiler: show
1d20+6, 2d12+2 → ([5, 6], [12, 6, 2])

Blaugh.  That's getting an Action Die:1d4.open(4) → [[4, 2]] = (6)

20 Damage, AP7, to the scary looking/in charge looking guy.
"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)

Antilles

  • Mastermind
  • Control
  • *****
  • Posts: 3646
  • Do I look like a people person?
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout PbP: Reap the Whirlwind (In Character)
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2011, 12:43:06 AM »
These guys are pissing Franklin off. Not a good move. The revving of the autoaxe is lost underneath the gunfire, but soon the last thing someone will hear is it tearing their flesh and shattering their bones. Franklin is angry.

Spoiler: show

Entering 'break someone's face' stance.
"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
Mortality clarified in a single strike!

glimmerrat

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 3517
  • Iconoclast
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout PbP: Reap the Whirlwind (In Character)
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2011, 05:49:25 AM »
Alice opens fire on the intruders, using the corner of the corridor as cover. The large caliber bullet slams its target into a wall, leaving a dent, and the other two react by dropping into crouches and readying their SMGs. Marcus charges forward into hand-to-hand range, attempt to close the distance as quickly as possible before they can bring their guns to bear; Hondo covers him with a shotgun blast that takes a second intruder off their feet, peppering the walls with buckshot. As Marcus leaps at his target, he lashes out with a vicious kickÖ which is promptly neatly blocked, with surprising precision.

Spoiler: show

Alice 19 (WP 14/14, VP 36/36)
Frank 15 (WP 12/12, VP 49/49)
Intruders 14 (3; all appear uninjured)
Marcus 14 (WP 14/14, VP 48/48)
Hondo 12 (WP 25/25, VP 55/55)
Elsie 9 (WP 12/12, VP 41/41)
- Tex (appears uninjured)

Round 2

Alice rounds the corner and attacks one of the Intruders. She hits for 20 damage/AP 7. The Intruder, oddly enough, fails his damage save.

Frank enters a berserk rage.

The Intruders take the Crouch and Ready Weapon actions.

Marcus moves over to and attacks one of the Intruders. He hits, but the Intruder uses the Block trick to stop the attack.

Hondo rounds the corner and attacks one of the unengaged Intruders. He hits for 19 damage (reduced to 14 by DR). The Intruder fails his damage save.

Elsie rounds the corner, but opts not to attack since the only Intruder in LOS is in melee with Marcus - and we all know how well that ended last time, donít we?

Round 3

Alice 19 (WP 14/14, VP 36/36)
Frank 15 (WP 12/12, VP 49/49)
Intruders 14 (1 left; appears uninjured)
Marcus 14 (WP 14/14, VP 48/48)
Hondo 12 (WP 25/25, VP 55/55)
Elsie 9 (WP 12/12, VP 41/41)
- Tex (appears uninjured)

ACTIONS PLEASE!
VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

MilitiaJim

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 4708
    • View Profile
    • My lame little LJ
Re: Fallout PbP: Reap the Whirlwind (In Character)
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2011, 06:24:57 AM »
Figuring the boys could beat down this last jerk without her supervision, Alice turned to Elsie. "Think there are more of them?"

Spoiler: show
The hallway goes the other way too?  Are there more rooms where more of these guys could be hiding?

The elevators work again???
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 01:01:28 PM by MilitiaJim »
"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)

Bill Whitmore

  • Mastermind
  • Control
  • *****
  • Posts: 2523
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout PbP: Reap the Whirlwind (In Character)
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2011, 11:19:23 AM »
With his initial kick batted aside, Marcus changes tactics, lunging forward and locking up his opponent's weapon arm.

Spoiler: Actions • show

If he shoots at me, I'll spend the Action Die and attempt a Stand Off: Reflex +2
If he swings a melee or unarmed attack at me, I will try to block his attack: Block trick, Fortitude +4

On my turn, I am attempting to grapple him: Athletics +8

In case I get a Grapple benefit by some miracle, I want to disarm the guy.
Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.

Gentry

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 2863
  • It's a Trap!
    • View Profile
    • Wyrmstone Homepage
Re: Fallout PbP: Reap the Whirlwind (In Character)
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2011, 01:58:54 PM »
Hondo racks another shell and covers the hallway.

Spoiler: show

I ready an action to shoot any guy who looks like these guys who appears anywhere that's not adjacent to a friend.
I'm a secret VAO Control (Shh!)

Check out Wyrmstone for FC Open Source campaigning

Have you joined Knife Rights yet?

Live and game in Flyover Country? Join Tornado Alley Game Guil

Antilles

  • Mastermind
  • Control
  • *****
  • Posts: 3646
  • Do I look like a people person?
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout PbP: Reap the Whirlwind (In Character)
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2011, 03:17:44 PM »
Franklin rushes towards the last man standing and delivers a brutal overhead smash, aimed straight for the poor man's face.

Spoiler: Actions • show

Half Action: Standard Move towards last man standing.
Half Action: Standard Attack with autoaxe using Sunder! trick against last man standing. Attack check 1d20+12=15. Hmm... potential error, not good. I'll spend an AD to hopefully hit the bastard... 1d4.open(4)=1, 2nd die thanks to Strong 1d4.open(4)=1. So, a total of 17... eh, it'll have to do. Damage is 2d8+6=13 lethal, with bleed and keen 17. Apply Sunder to the most logical piece of gear that would get damaged. If he survives he'll have to roll on the Table of Ouch...

If by some chance he's dead before my time, I'll drop out of rage asap.
"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
Mortality clarified in a single strike!

glimmerrat

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 3517
  • Iconoclast
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout PbP: Reap the Whirlwind (In Character)
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2011, 06:14:44 AM »
Alice, assuming that Frank and Marcus can mop up the last intruder, turns to speak to Elsie. Thatís when the shit hits the fan. Frank, bellowing like an enraged bear, charges down the hallway, revving autoaxe swinging to-and-fro. The surviving bad guy sees Frank coming and his eyes widen as if he understands precisely what the roaring rock-cutter will do to him if it hits him.

As Frank swings at him, the intruder ducks under the blow and kicks Ė hard Ė at Frankís shin. With a wet Ďpopí, his right knee dislocates, and the big man topples off to one side. The buzzing autoaxe hits a nearby steel support pillar and, with a flash of sparks, comes apart spectacularly. The end of the axe bounces off the wall before falling and, with the head still spinning at lethal velocity, slices through the meat of Franks right thigh all the way down to the bone. Frank, rather unsurprisingly, goes down like a sack of bricks.

As everyone else looks on in horror, Marcus is the only one that doesnít hesitate before acting. He lunges at the now blood-spattered intruder, trying to get a firm grip on him. The intruder responds by jumping in the air and lashing out with a kick, using Marcusís forward momentum to propel him backwards and out of reach. He hits the ground, rolls, and bounces back up onto his feet, weaving away around the corner.


Spoiler: show

Alice 19 (WP 14/14, VP 36/36)
Frank 15 (WP 12/12, VP 49/49)
Intruders 14 (1 left; appears uninjured)
Marcus 14 (WP 14/14, VP 48/48)
Hondo 12 (WP 25/25, VP 55/55)
Elsie 9 (WP 12/12, VP 41/41)
- Tex (appears uninjured)

Round 3

Ok, iíve got 13 action dice unspent (5 for you horrid lot, and IV x2 for the mission Iím about to drop on you), so itís time for some pain. First of all Iím going to drop 2 action dice to convert this standard mook into a special character. Once heís a special, Iím going to spend a third action die to boost his defense.

Alice uses her action to speak to Elsie.

Frank attacks the Intruder with his autoaxe and misses. He also rolls an error. Iíll spend 3 action dice to activate that error, and render the autoaxe destroyed. Also it hits Frank, causing 13 damage (reduced to 11 by DR) with bleed and keen 17. Rolls are present to ensure fairness.

Frank fails his Reflex save (1d20+3=9) and begins bleeding. He also fails the Fortitude save (1d20+7=14).

Table of Ouch result: 1d20+30=37; Iíll rule that one as a broken leg, since I donít see how he could hit his own arm. Iíll also rule that the broken leg means that heís sprawled.

The Intruder attacks Marcus with Kick, using the back flip trick. He hits (and Marcus fails to block), causing 5 damage and moving 5 ft. back from Marcus and Frank. He uses his remaining half action to take a standard move down the hallway and around the corner.

Marcus takes a half action to draw a blood expander, and a half action to apply it to Frank. Frank loses the bleeding condition.

Hondo readies an attack action to shoot any new arrivals.

Elsie uses her action to speak to Alice.

Round 4

Alice 19 (WP 14/14, VP 36/36)
Frank 15 (WP 12/12, VP 38/49) broken leg, sprawled
Special Intruder 14 (appears uninjured)
Marcus 14 (WP 14/14, VP 48/48)
Hondo 12 (WP 25/25, VP 55/55)
Elsie 9 (WP 12/12, VP 41/41)
- Tex (appears uninjured)

ACTIONS PLEASE!

« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 01:23:37 AM by glimmerrat »
VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Antilles

  • Mastermind
  • Control
  • *****
  • Posts: 3646
  • Do I look like a people person?
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout PbP: Reap the Whirlwind (In Character)
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2011, 09:12:59 AM »
Franklin remains sprawled on the floor, too stunned over the sudden loss of his beloved autoaxe to do anything.

Spoiler: Ouch... • show


So yeah, Franklin's outta the fight, he'll just remain on the floor greatly distraught over the sudden turn of events for a little while. Needless to say he'll cease being enraged, which makes him exhausted for what, 2 minutes?

Also, if the rest of you harbors any thoughts about capturing and interrogating the fleeing guy, do so before bringing him back to where Frank can get his hands on him. You know him good enough to guess at his reaction to all this, which is likely somewhere between 'beat the bastard until he's comatose' and 'death by massive blunt force trauma'.
"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
Mortality clarified in a single strike!

Gentry

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 2863
  • It's a Trap!
    • View Profile
    • Wyrmstone Homepage
Re: Fallout PbP: Reap the Whirlwind (In Character)
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2011, 01:53:42 PM »
"Fuck!" gasps Hondo, leaping over Frank and charging down the corridor after the intruder. He blazes away as he advances, aiming low to throw a knee-high load of buckshot down the corridor.

Spoiler: show

Hondo takes a single move to get into view of the Intruder and Cheap Shots him with a shotgun attack, angling to cut his speed by 10'.

Here goes Nothing: 1d20-1=15
And Action Die: 1d4.open(4)=1
Lame
Action Die 2!: 1d4.open(4)=3
19 still feels borderline, but there's a lot of week before action dice refresh. Fuck it
Action Die 3!: 1d4.open(4)=1

Unbelievable. Well, a total attack check of 21 (the extra +1 for firing Shot ammo) isn't too bad considering it's Hondo shooting.  :P

Just in case: 5d4=17 damage.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 02:09:05 PM by Gentry »
I'm a secret VAO Control (Shh!)

Check out Wyrmstone for FC Open Source campaigning

Have you joined Knife Rights yet?

Live and game in Flyover Country? Join Tornado Alley Game Guil

MilitiaJim

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 4708
    • View Profile
    • My lame little LJ
Re: Fallout PbP: Reap the Whirlwind (In Character)
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2011, 03:01:47 PM »
Alice's stream of profanity was drowned out by her jet pack as she bounced around the corners to plow into the stealth suited intruder.

Spoiler: show
She should have been overwatching, and shot this jerkbag when he made a run for it.  I guess we'll have to do this the hard way:  He looks like a right attractive bowling pin.

Acrobatics around the corner. 1d20+10 → [6,10] = (16)
Action Die for that bank shot. Two for one on the Dex check. :D 1d4.open(4) → [3] = (3)
1d4.open(4) → [2] = (2)

21 is better.

Athletics for the Bull Rush. 1d20+7 → [19,7] = (26)
  I'll take some of that, and so will he.

That should slow him down until Marcus shows up, or provide the opportunity to shoot him.
"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)

Bill Whitmore

  • Mastermind
  • Control
  • *****
  • Posts: 2523
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout PbP: Reap the Whirlwind (In Character)
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2011, 08:02:17 PM »
Marcus took one last look over Frank's leg, satisfied that the bleeding would be controllable until they could get him more permanent treatment.  The worst of the wound dealt with, it was time to deal with the man.

"Look at me, Frank.  Frank!  Look at me.  You need to keep your head about you, man, this is no time to feel sorry for yourself."  Grabbing one of the downed Intruder's guns, Marcus continues, "I need to go help take care of the bastard who did this, but there may be more around and I need you to be paying attention."  Setting the gun on Frank's lap, Marcus stands to go after the others.  "Keep pressure on that wound and if you see anyone or anything suspicious, you'll know what to do."

Spoiler: Actions • show

Half: Handle Item - Retrieve gun
Half: Handle Item - Give gun to Frank.
Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.