Author Topic: Fallout PbP: Reap the Whirlwind (In Character)  (Read 12759 times)

Gentry

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 2866
  • It's a Trap!
    • View Profile
    • Wyrmstone Homepage
Re: Fallout PbP: Reap the Whirlwind (In Character)
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2011, 07:24:34 PM »
Hondo slings his shotgun, and with a still-slightly-confused shake of his head gets a good hold on the back of Alice's plastron, and flings her bodily out the window at significant velocity.

Spoiler: show

Let's talk Power Lifting for a second
Athletics 1d20+11=30
Boom, baby!
That allows Hondo to temporarily ramp his Strength to 24
That gives him a Light Encumbrance bracket of up to 466 pounds, which should be plenty to give little Alice a good solid chuckin' out the window. So she should get well clear of the building before she has to trigger her jetpack.

I'm a secret VAO Control (Shh!)

Check out Wyrmstone for FC Open Source campaigning

Have you joined Knife Rights yet?

Live and game in Flyover Country? Join Tornado Alley Game Guil

MilitiaJim

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 4766
    • View Profile
    • My lame little LJ
Re: Fallout PbP: Reap the Whirlwind (In Character)
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2011, 07:37:02 PM »
"Wheeeeeee!"  Once clear of the building, Alice triggered her jetpack and soared up to the building across the street.  Perched upon a sturdy crenelation she snuggled Lady Joan to her shoulder and used her ACOG to scan the Empire State building, starting up from the window she and their stealthy assailant exited half a minute before.

"I'm across the street.  I'll let you know if I see anything.  And tell me if he turns up inside, I can be there in ten seconds flat," she told her teammates over the radio.

Spoiler: show
Just a quick Notice check. 1d20+5 → [14,5] = (19)

Dunno?  Is there a broken window a floor or two up?
"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)

glimmerrat

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 3517
  • Iconoclast
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout PbP: Reap the Whirlwind (In Character)
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2012, 02:59:39 AM »
A few hours later, when most of the chaos of the attack has subsided, you travel down in an elevator to the Vault entrance under the Empire State's capitol building. Two guards in some sort of scavenged powered armor stand guard outside the entrance, and coolly regard you as you enter. The Vault door is currently unsealed, and you pass through into an area not unlike the place where you grew up. It is just as well maintained, if a little more worn due to the larger population.

You are escorted to a cell adjacent to the Sheriff's office, where the captured Enclave prisoner is being held. The cell is guarded by another two men in scavenged power armor. The man inside has been stripped of his body suit, and the following items have been confiscated from him:


- a burned-out stealth-boy
- a well-cared-for handgun
- a grapple gun with no rope or grapple
- a form-fitting bodysuit made out of some kind of polymer that you've never seen before
- a gas mask
- 1 smoke grenade and 1 flashbang

The man sits, handcuffed by ankles and wrists to a steel chair that is bolted to the cell floor. Unless he's the Incredible Hulk, he isn't going anywhere. He's wearing a grey, US army-issue vest and shorts, and the vest has the number '001432' stenciled over the left pectoral in black dye. His hair is clipped short, and his scarred, hardened visage regards you with casual contempt. When he realises that the gathering group is going to enter his cell, he sneers in disgust. Sheriff Armstrong quietly says "Since he came to, he's been systematically testing his restraints, quietly pulling and twisting on them to check for weaknesses. I had to go back in and tighten up all the cuffs to the point of nearly cutting off the circulation." He glances at the prisoner, and then back to the group. "He's a twitchy fucker. Watch him, and watch him close." With that, he unlocks the cell door and hands you the key.

Spoiler: show

Ok, strategy and an appropriate roll, please. Emma says you can roll for Elsie, or Gentry can roll for Hondo as lead. Your choice.

Since this is a cooperative check, those who wish to help can make appropriate rolls.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 12:15:32 AM by glimmerrat »
VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Gentry

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 2866
  • It's a Trap!
    • View Profile
    • Wyrmstone Homepage
Re: Fallout PbP: Reap the Whirlwind (In Character)
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2012, 10:25:52 AM »
Hondo watches the guy in the chair, almost curious, like he's never seen such a thing. Every once in a while he lightly pokes or prods the captive, walking in a slow circle to inspect the man thoroughly and physically check the man's restraints for security. As he walks, he speaks.

"Ny City's a dangerous-ass place, mang. There's shit livin' in the dark corners that'll fuck you up before you even know. But you know that. You got some shit of your own, right? You got some hot shit gear and a bad attitude--ain't nobody gonna mess with you, right?" he smiles an affable smile tinged with an understanding of badassery.

"You look like you take care of yourself pretty good, too. You all fit or whatever. And hombres like you and me, we understand you gotta be tough to make it out there. You gotta be quick, you gotta be strong."

"And if you get hurt you gotta get it looked into, right mang? 'Cuz there's some places on you that if you take a hard shot wrong, it'd fuck you up for real. Like your shoulders, right? It's a complicated motherfucker, a shoulder. Worse than that, though, is your knee. Fall on your knee wrong, put that shit out of place, and you're down for a long time. All them patellas and tendons and shit all wrapped up nice. Take a bad fall or twist a knee," Hondo sighs and shakes his head sadly, "and it's a long time comin' back. Can't be a badass on a gimpy knee, right?"

"Bright side is, though, if you mess up a knee on assident, there's people can take care of that shit. Typical knee problems, people can deal with. Yeah, you wouldn't be quite the badass you was with your knee in a brace for life, but at least you can work wit it, right?"

"Get that knee fucked up in just the wrong way, though," he continues, drawing his tire iron, "like not just trippin', but actually takin' a shot wit a pipe or a steel bar or some shit like that," he whips the tire iron in the air a few times, testing the weight and listening to the sound it makes, "bust your knee in just the wrong way, a motherfucker'd be lucky to ever heal right. Time would come he'd give anything just to be able to stand up straight. Ain't that right?"

Spoiler: show

Let's call this a Bad Cop maneuver. Hondo won't hit him yet. No need to torture him in this conflict round, since we're already working a -6 to this dude's roll.

Intimidate:
    1d20+9=29

Holy crap!
I will spend two action dice to try and power ahead so I can ensure a success:
1d4.open(4)=1, 1d4.open(4)=6

Assuming the total result of 36 succeeds, it is a threat and I'll spend one action die to activate this as a critical success, which reduces the lead by 1 automatically.

Assuming that all works, I then choose the Lead advantage as many times as I can.

And I'm brewing a pretty cool head fake for Elsie for next round.  :)

I'm a secret VAO Control (Shh!)

Check out Wyrmstone for FC Open Source campaigning

Have you joined Knife Rights yet?

Live and game in Flyover Country? Join Tornado Alley Game Guil

glimmerrat

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 3517
  • Iconoclast
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout PbP: Reap the Whirlwind (In Character)
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2012, 12:26:57 AM »
Hondo says his piece, and the man seems to seriously considers the consequences of what he's saying. He's obviously not afraid to die, but what Hondo is offering is not death. He's fully aware that he would eventually die, but he'd surely hang on for many years of suffering and struggle before he finally expired. He looks at Hondo with an expression of pure, undiluted hatred. He offers a simple response, leaning forward slightly to make sure that Hondo hears him quite clearly. "Fuck you."

Spoiler: show

Hondo wins by 29(!). Jesus christ, this'll be over in minutes.

That's 7 advantages he gets to pick.
1 = Lead
2/3 = Lead
4/5 = Lead
6/7 = Lead
Including the bonus Lead from the critical success, that's Lead x5. That brings the Lead from 7 down to 2. In one round.

Ok, pick another strategy; let's get this shit over with.
VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Gentry

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 2866
  • It's a Trap!
    • View Profile
    • Wyrmstone Homepage
Re: Fallout PbP: Reap the Whirlwind (In Character)
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2012, 03:40:22 PM »
Hondo nods with a sad, sage smile, and pulls a chair in front of the prisoner. "That's the last line, mang. 'Fuck you' is what you say when you got nothin' left. All you can do then is wait to hear your knee go and hope you black out before I work up to your cojones. You think a scalp wound bleeds like a bitch? You ain't seen a nutsack bleed."

"You know what's really crazy, though?" Hondo settles into the chair and leans back, just shooting the breeze. "I don't gotta do nuthin'. All I gotta do is get you released. 'Don't nobody touch him,' I'd say. 'Jus' let him run.' And you'd head back to your boys, knees and balls still where they ought to be, all plottin' revenge and shit at that big motherfucker who threatened you."

"But you know what'd happen next? Yeah, you do. They look at you an' ask how'd he get out? He got caught by those fuckin' savages. How come he ain't hurt? And you know what they'll start to think? Maybe you didn't get hurt because you talked or whatever. Maybe you gave it all up and we let you go. You been exposed. Maybe," Hondo leans in to look the captive square in the eye, "maybe you turned."

"And you know what happens next, right? Bullet in the brainpan, mang. Why should they risk it? They got other tough guys, right? Comes right down to it, they don't need you--not if they can't trust you. And you get outta here with just scratches, no way can they trust you."

"So let me make a suggestion," he leans back in the chair, just two guys talking again. "Fuck 'em. You can sit here and break and bleed and die, but for what? Because you're loyal to a bunch of cocksuckers who'd shoot you if they saw you again and call it 'Being Sure'? Fuck 'em. You in the open now, mang. Chain's been cut, and ain't no way to weld it back. You and me, we warriors, mang. 'Cept you a warrior with no cause to fight for. So find a new one, 'cuz there's no goin' back home. May as well find a new home. And I gotta say," he shrugs, "you could do worse than Empire. have you seen Elsie?"

He finishes by glancing at Elsie, and then back to the captive, in a way men learn from before puberty.

Spoiler: show

You were all so worried. :)

Since Elsie is just barely outside the window of using Head Fake (I had a whole "I can't stand it here, you have to rescue me" speech brewing, so too bad, that, but oh well) Hondo will stick more or less with Bad Cop. He's definitely threatening the guy with torture and/or death (which hopefully brings on a -6 or -8 modifier on our boy's resolve check), but he's also offering a reward (stay in Empire and make a new life), which is hopefully worth +6 or +8 to Hondo's check.

So here goes: Intimidate 1d20+9=29

I don't believe it. :) (I rolled it a couple more times after that roll, just to make sure IC wasn't broken--the roll's legit).

And I've got no action dice. But assuming the modifiers hold, that's a result of 35ish (and him with a -6 or -8). Hopefully that'll seal the deal.

 
I'm a secret VAO Control (Shh!)

Check out Wyrmstone for FC Open Source campaigning

Have you joined Knife Rights yet?

Live and game in Flyover Country? Join Tornado Alley Game Guil

glimmerrat

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 3517
  • Iconoclast
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout PbP: Reap the Whirlwind (In Character)
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2012, 11:42:48 AM »
The bound man lets out a long, ragged sigh, appearing almost to deflate slightly. When he looks up, he almost looks grey. The facade of invulnerability broken, he finally says "Fine, ask your questions. They'll do you no good now, anyway. It's too late for any of us to make a difference anymore." He doesn't look at Hondo; he stares at the floor between his feet.

Spoiler: show

With all the modifiers he actually rolled a negative number. Man, the odds are really stacked against you when you're the prey in an Interrogation DC...

So, as the victor, what subject would you like to ask about?

Incidentally, that all took about 30 minutes.
VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

glimmerrat

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 3517
  • Iconoclast
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout PbP: Reap the Whirlwind (In Character)
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2012, 01:27:44 AM »
“Who are you people?”

“We are the Enclave; the descendants of the last legal government of the United States of America. With the help of remnants of the US military-industrial complex such as Poseidon Energy, we are attempting to restore order to post-war America. We have bases and outposts everywhere, including here in New York. Our leader is President John Henry Eden, based out of the capital, Washington DC. Our technology base and R&D capability is second to none, and we seek to use these to rebuild America.”

“What do you want with the Empire?”

“We have contacted the ‘Empire’ leadership through the computers in this Vault more than once, with overtures of peaceful cooperation. As an island of civilization in the midst of all this chaos, we sought to bring this settlement back into the fold. Our communications have been repeatedly rebuffed, and despite warnings to the contrary, your looting of the surrounding area has continued. US law is quite clear on the issue of looters.

Additionally, to add insult to injury, one of our facilities was recently attacked by insurgents that originated from this settlement. The attack caused irreparable damage to both our facility, and the city itself, and hundreds of lives were lost. Hundreds. Do you have any idea how awful such a loss is, with population levels as low as they are? We know that you are hiding these terrorists here, within this facility. We will arrest them, and they will be tried for their crimes. We will also arrest and try anyone else who has been involved with sheltering these murderers.

So, as a result of your failure to cooperate and your continued looting and attacks on our personnel, it has been determined that the ‘Empire State Republic’ will be brought under back control by force. If you will not do what is right, you will be made to. You will do as you are told.”

Spoiler: show

Aaaaand that’s your lot. Interrogations specifically say ONE subject. You can ask him to elaborate on the above points if you wish, but if you want details on other stuff, that’ll take a new Interrogation.

Incidentally, this is ‘Ny City’. You have no idea where ‘New York’ is. You were also unaware that this ‘Enclave’ had contacted the leaders of the Republic before now.

Also, I’m surprised that you didn’t ask him what his mission was.
VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Bill Whitmore

  • Mastermind
  • Control
  • *****
  • Posts: 2539
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout PbP: Reap the Whirlwind (In Character)
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2012, 07:40:57 PM »
Marcus watched the interrogation from outside the cell, arms crossed as he debated about the next course of action.

Muttering softly to Alice, he notes "If they plan to attack this settlement, the Brotherhood may want to know.  We already bloodied their noses before, the defensibility of this city may represent one of the best opportunities to cripple whats left of their operations in this area."

As soon as one of the interrogators looks towards Marcus, he'll motion them to come out for a moment so they can talk.
Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.

glimmerrat

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 3517
  • Iconoclast
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout PbP: Reap the Whirlwind (In Character)
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2012, 07:20:40 AM »
Dr Calvin (that's Emily, the defected Enclave doctor) walks past the group and stops to say hi. She's been a real boon to the Republic in the last few weeks; having a professionally trained and experienced surgeon on tap has realy paid off, and in her first day alone she carried out an incredibly difficult emergency caesarian section. By previous experience, ether mother or child (or both) would not have lived through the procedure. However, Emily saved both, and she made it look easy. She's been visiting her namesake (the new baby girl) every day since, and has even been asked to be the chld's god-mother. In short, she's fitting in nicely.

However, the Ark's erstwhile commanding officer, Captain Curtis Johns, is doing quite the opposite. All he will give is his name, rank and serial number. He's tried to escape twice, and the second time it's a miracle that there were no fatalities. He may be in his 50s, but he's a tough son-of-a-bitch, and even under interrogation he hasn't cracked once. The last time you saw him, it was your turn to take him his lunch. He sneered at the plate and started picking at it.

Emily looks at Marcus.
"So what's the deal with the Enclave commando?"
VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Bill Whitmore

  • Mastermind
  • Control
  • *****
  • Posts: 2539
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout PbP: Reap the Whirlwind (In Character)
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2012, 12:37:46 PM »
Noticing Emily, Marcus quickly and quietly ushers her away from the cell before the Commando sees her.  Once out of sight he'll explain to Emily.

"They may think you perished in the crash and it may be safer for you if they continue to believe that, should the worst come to pass."

Then, looking back towards the cell they left, Marcus adds, "He's one of several people that tried sneaking into the Empire building.  They killed several inhabitants before we managed to stop them.  Most of the commandos were killed, but we managed to capture this one.  He says that the Enclave intends to bring the Empire State Republic under control by force.  They are trying to get more information from him regarding his mission in the city and more about the Enclave's plan to take the city."
Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.

Gentry

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 2866
  • It's a Trap!
    • View Profile
    • Wyrmstone Homepage
Re: Fallout PbP: Reap the Whirlwind (In Character)
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2012, 02:55:27 PM »
Meanwhile, in the cell, Hondo stretches out in his chair, not unlike a great predatory animal lounging in its den.

"Isn't it nice to say more than 'Fuck you' to people?" he asks rhetorically. "See, now we're just two guys talking, right? Of course, one of those guys is cuffed to a chair and his knees are still in danger, but you can't have everything you want, right?"

"So the Enclave has this deal where they bring people in by force. So what's your part in that? What were you and your boys doing trying to sneak into the building?"

Spoiler: show

Had to throw the threat in, since for Hondo the Bad Cop strategy is pretty much all he's got:

Intimidate: 1d20+10=19
Well, that's not as good as the last time, but hopefully with the negative modifiers on him it'll cut some lead.

I'm a secret VAO Control (Shh!)

Check out Wyrmstone for FC Open Source campaigning

Have you joined Knife Rights yet?

Live and game in Flyover Country? Join Tornado Alley Game Guil

glimmerrat

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 3517
  • Iconoclast
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout PbP: Reap the Whirlwind (In Character)
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2012, 12:37:32 AM »
The commando listens to Hondo in silence, staring straight ahead. He isn't just pale; he looks grey. "We don't 'bring people in by force'. We arrest and try criminals, and we defend ourselves where necessary, sometimes with lethal force. The United States is currently under martial law, and for a damn good reason. Have you looked outside lately? We *were* working on a broad-spectrum easy-to-apply gene therapy that was supposed to be portable and inexpensive. It was meant to cure all sorts of radiation-related mutations and issues in the ordinary civilian. Then your insurgents blew the lab all to hell."

He pauses to let that all sink in. "My unit and I were sent here for several different reasons, but all you need to know is that it's classified government business." Now he looks at Hondo. "You are aware that you're breaking the law by holding me against my will?" At this, he laughs at himself. "Yeah right. As if you care about something like laws. People like you think that you're above the law."

Spoiler: show

Hondo won by 3; the lead is adjusted by 1 in Hondo's favor to 4.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 12:39:23 AM by glimmerrat »
VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."

Gentry

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 2866
  • It's a Trap!
    • View Profile
    • Wyrmstone Homepage
Re: Fallout PbP: Reap the Whirlwind (In Character)
« Reply #58 on: July 01, 2012, 07:21:50 AM »
"Just so I've got it all straight in my head or whatever, this Lab you keep talking about--this miracle lab with the gene therapy and the angel-choir all singin' in it and shit, this was a big ol' place in the Tangle? Or are we talking about some other place? We gotta be talkin' about two different places, though, since that place in the Tangle was full of all kinds of evil shit. If that shit was a show of the 'good' you Enclave fuckers are trying to do, you'd be better off without 'em."

Spoiler: show

Intimidate: 1d20+10=26
Seeking Lead as usual
I'm a secret VAO Control (Shh!)

Check out Wyrmstone for FC Open Source campaigning

Have you joined Knife Rights yet?

Live and game in Flyover Country? Join Tornado Alley Game Guil

glimmerrat

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 3517
  • Iconoclast
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout PbP: Reap the Whirlwind (In Character)
« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2012, 09:54:02 AM »
"The 'Tangle'?" You can practically hear the inverted commas. "You mean Central Park, I assume? You've lived in New York how long? You should take some time out from picking over the ruins of civilisation to visit a library. You *can* read, can't you?" He shakes his head. "The Ark facility had a number of prisoners culled from the local area, but they were all trespassers and criminals. Since they were taken from the population that was intended to be medicated, they were to be used as a test bed for the first batch of the serum. Is the development of such a serum 'evil'?" He pauses for a moment, as if listening intently to a conversation in the hallway outside. "Evil and Good are absolutes, relative concepts. There is no black and white, just shades of grey. You should know that, unless you're hopelessly naive. What we're talking about here is the survival of a nation."

Spoiler: show

Hondo wins by 13; that's 1 Lead and 3 additional advantage choices. I'll assume 1x Lead (2 advantages) and 1x stress (1 advantage). The commando suffers 4 stress damage.

That brings the overall Lead down to 2.
VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."