Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 01, 2014, 05:51:18 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Play-by-Post
| | |-+  Fallout PbP (Out of Character)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fallout PbP (Out of Character)  (Read 51632 times)
Gentry
Powered By Publisher
Control

It's a Trap!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1200 on: September 14, 2012, 04:44:46 PM »

So we're talking about like 25 miles to Tarrytown? We hoof that over two days, spend a day gathering/scavenging/trading for material, build a boat for a day, and cruise to the Point in a day? Is an estimate of 5 days like that too optimistic?

Would it be safer/smoother/more efficient to build our boat at the mirelurk hunter encampment, and from there cruise directly to the point? Might that shave a day off our timeframe?

I'm fuzzy on Jim's story a litte: Is traffic under Tappan Zee being interdicted somehow?

I'm a secret VAO Control (Shh!)

Check out Wyrmstone for FC Open Source campaigning

Have you joined Knife Rights yet?

Live and game in Flyover Country? Join Tornado Alley Game Guil
Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control

Woot, I got a new hat! :P

View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: September 14, 2012, 09:29:13 PM »

“The trip on foot takes three or four days, and that’s if you walk for eight to ten hours a day, you know the route and there are no issues. With things as they are, it could take up to a week on foot. Ideally, what we need is a boat with a working motor. A raft or rowing boat is frankly too vulnerable to attack, and as you approach the Tappan Zee Bridge, the swamp clears some and the currents get pretty strong.”
Sounds like the fanboat would give us the speed to avoid attack and the ability to counter the strong currents.  So the acquisition of said fanboat, or any motorized boat, would be a priority.

Carrying a boat, or even the large components of the boat, through 1-2 miles of potentially hostile territory seems like a bad idea.  That means we'll need to procure goods when we reach our destination.

At this point, Jim starts picking out key features on the map. “Yonkers has a big settlement based around a large industrial estate. There must be close on two-hundred people there, and they’re pretty friendly if you don’t mean any harm. Hastings-on-Hudson and Dobbs Ferry are both pretty much gone; they’re just hollowed-out ruins, but there are a tiny handful of people living in both, no more than twenty between the two, I’d say. Next is Irvington; it looks like it weathered the years pretty good, but that’s because most of the buildings are made of bricks instead of wood. That said, it’s been looted to hell and back by the folks at Tarrytown, and the only people you’ll find there are Tarrytown scavengers picking over the ruins.”

Yonkers and Tarrytown seem the best place for us to get a hold of what we need.  Even if there was a working elevator, or even copper wire, in the nearby ruins, it's likely the locals of Yonkers or Tarrytown already salvaged it.

Next, he points at the line across the swamp marked as ‘T-Z’. “The Tappan Zee Bridge is sealed off at both ends, and its home to a pretty prosperous community. Outsiders can trade and stay in nearby Tarrytown on the east bank, and there’s some pretty good scavenged tech you can trade for if you’re interested. After that, you’re almost home free. You pass the lighthouse at Sleepy Hollow – there’s a big family living in the lighthouse, by the way – then on through Croton-on-Hudson which is, again, pretty much ruins.”

If Tarrytown doesn't have what we need, we may be able to get it from the T-Z community.

“Your last big stop is here.” He points to two of the ‘X’s that are farthest north. “Cortlandt and Haverstraw have big communities, relatively speaking, of about fifty each. They’re also at war with each other over some sort of blood feud that kicked off two generations ago. Avoid, if possible, or you’ll get tangled up in local politics and never escape. Last of all you pass through Buchanan, and pretty quickly if possible. The old nuclear plant is leaking all over the place, and the area is overrun with ghouls. A couple are kinda talkative, but their friends not so much. Then onto West Point at the bend in the river.”

If we get on the water with our boat, hopefully we can bypass these places entirely.

Given all that, I suggest the following:

We need between $500 and $1000 worth of caps and trade goods (I forget the dollars to caps exchange rate).  If that means we need to take along a Brahmin to carry everything, then that's what we'll need to do.  We won't be able to take a Brahmin on the boat with us, so the Brahmin can be part of the trade goods we are bringing.

We set our destination as Tarrytown.  Between them and the T-Z settlement, we should be able to trade for everything we need and build the boat we need.  We load it up with the provisions we need and finish the trip to West Point.

Once we make West Point, the Brotherhood should already have the means to make the journey back here.

Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.
Gentry
Powered By Publisher
Control

It's a Trap!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1202 on: September 14, 2012, 10:14:07 PM »

My concern is that Tarrytown is halfway to West Point already. If we want to cut time by getting a boat, we should do it closer to our starting point. That means we can either build a boat right here in Ny City (like, say, at the mirelurk hunter encampment--where IS that, by the way?), or do so as soon as possible after leaving the city. Yonkers looks like it's only a third of the way to West Point, so if we absolutely don't feel like we can build a boat right here, we should do it there rather than wait for Tarrytown.

The only real benefit I can see to building the boat in Terrytown is that we'd be a known factor--word would get around that "there's these guys building a fanboat" and we wouldn't be as great a novelty as we would be if we just came humming up the river from Yonkers. That's a double-edged sword too, though, because if people know we're building a boat, they might also decide we're building a boat for *them* whether we know it (and like it) or not.

Ultimately, I'm feeling like if we're going to build a boat to save time, let's do it sooner on the trip (thus saving us more time) rather than later. If we have to hike a mile or two to get to the water and boat parts, let's at least head for the Intrepid museum.  Smiley

I'm a secret VAO Control (Shh!)

Check out Wyrmstone for FC Open Source campaigning

Have you joined Knife Rights yet?

Live and game in Flyover Country? Join Tornado Alley Game Guil
Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control

Woot, I got a new hat! :P

View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: September 14, 2012, 10:34:35 PM »

I'm not sure where 25 miles to Tarrytown comes from.

Carrying over a mile or two to the waterside. Through blocked streets, whilst being attacked by hostile wildlife and roaming raider parties.

I have absolutely no idea about the geography of New York so all I have to go on is the GM description and this made it sound like it was only a mile or two to Tarrytown.

Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.
glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: September 15, 2012, 12:25:37 AM »

If we have to hike a mile or two to get to the water and boat parts, let's at least head for the Intrepid museum.  Smiley

Assuming that a good portion of this discussion is IC, that draws gasps of panic. It is explained to you that the west docks are off-limits, and no-one who goes to Pier 86 EVER comes back. Rumour is that it's haunted, and at night from the observation deck the area is sheathed in an eerie glow.

I have absolutely no idea about the geography of New York so all I have to go on is the GM description and this made it sound like it was only a mile or two to Tarrytown.

Yeah, sorry. That's to the nearest waterside, as in right here in Manhattan.

VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1205 on: September 15, 2012, 02:31:05 AM »

Most of it probably is IC, and the Intrepid has been docked there for quite some time.  Alice wouldn't quite scoff at their panic, but a nightime glow is worth some investigation.  (Later, she's curious about it.  It only glows at night?)  The Intrepid/Pier 86 is half a mile north of the Empire State Building.

Terrytown in a bit of a hike.

As I see it, we can hike up the east bank of Hudson, and probably get up to the wrong side of the river from West Point in four days, or we can build a fanboat and hit the river and be there the next day.  We could build the boat and bring a large contingent, to carry said boat, to the river, and head north, with that large party to go back to Empire. 

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
Gentry