Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 21, 2014, 02:28:43 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Play-by-Post
| | |-+  Die Xeno Scum!! (XCOMish 2.0, testing the waters)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Die Xeno Scum!! (XCOMish 2.0, testing the waters)  (Read 4357 times)
RusVal
Control

There are no ends. Only new beginnings.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2012, 12:33:41 PM »

are we going to be in uniforms, or are our characters able to dress themselves? wondering more for character concept.

There will be uniforms, but how they are worn are up to you guys. (I believe the Trope is called Nonuniform Uniform)

For this setting, the standard outfit for the Counter Extra Terrestrial Taskforce (CETT, or "Set") is a bodysuit with swappable sleeves, though the pants can and do get swapped with standard fatigues.  Troopers are also assign Armored Dress Jackets (ADJ) to wear while on base (haven't decided if they should be Tactical Jackets or "Trendy" Low Profile Armor), though they are expected to swap out for proper (Interceptor) body armor for missions.

"Why don't you wear a helmet?  I feel anonymous and disposable..." -VGCats

"What is this, a bad spy movie?!  You two are going to get us all killed!" -Jack Carver, Far Cry
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2012, 01:18:21 PM »

I bought into this pic of the dude behind the car.  (Though he really should have a helmet and a NOD [Night Optic Device:  Low light, thermal, or one of the sweet both jammies.])

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
- Lucius Annaeus Seneca "the younger" ca. (4 BC - 65 AD)
RusVal
Control

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2012, 03:28:07 PM »

I bought into this pic of the dude behind the car.

I like that pic, too, I'm just saying that for CETT, what they're wearing under the armor is what I linked to.  Style wise I'm basically just mashing together parts of my favorite sci-fi soldier armors for this setting.  Ya know, undershirt-concepts from RE5; armor-contemporary with sci-fi plating over the chest, upper back, and thighs; padding-similar to that XCOM cover; helmet-similar to the ones worn by Marines in Halo: Reach, only without the little "vents" on the side.
Stat wise, though, it will probably just be Interceptor armor with the Land Warrior gadget attached (I'm giving out that Gadget for free, by the by).

"What is this, a bad spy movie?!  You two are going to get us all killed!" -Jack Carver, Far Cry
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2012, 05:37:31 PM »

Stat wise, though, it will probably just be Interceptor armor with the Land Warrior gadget attached (I'm giving out that Gadget for free, by the by).
Class III Modular Tactical Armor seems to be missing some fragment protection that the Flak Jacket it replaced has.  Whatever.  Throw in a weight reduction (light SAPI plates exist, they're just expensive, double the price, half the weight), nomex underbritches, tactical glasses (with three lenses), and built in knee and elbow pads.   Grin  Most of this gear is COTS [Commercial Off The Shelf] stuff.

"Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."  ("A sword is never a killer, it's a tool  in the killer's hands.")
RusVal
Control

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2012, 03:29:57 PM »

Man, this GM sure takes his sweet time.  When's he going to start?

Oh, wait...

Class III Modular Tactical Armor seems to be missing some fragment protection that the Flak Jacket it replaced has.

Yeah, but the Spycraft version also gives a straight up increase in carrying capacity.

Whatever.  Throw in a weight reduction (light SAPI plates exist, they're just expensive, double the price, half the weight), nomex underbritches, tactical glasses (with three lenses), and built in knee and elbow pads.   Grin  Most of this gear is COTS [Commercial Off The Shelf] stuff.

Sure, if you guys want to put those upgrades on, go ahead, as long as you can "afford" them.  I'm just dictating the style, and I'm only limiting the equipment some to fit with the setting.  The rest is up to you guys.

On a separate note, some overall design decisions I want to run by you guys, get your opinions on them:

1.) That which doesn't kill you...
The current campaign qualities I have activated (excluding the changes I will note below) definitely tips things against the PCs.  Hits come fast, they come hard... basically, it will be very easy to die.  This isn't helped by the fact that Small Screen means that you won't have as many points to work with.  However, because it would make sense that such a job would be the ultimate form of Darwinism, I am also activating Fast Attributes and Fast Feats.

2.) ... makes you... stranger
As I have mentioned before, a common XCOM practice is to "clone" a dead character by renaming one of the new recruits with the dead person's name.  I also felt that it was weird, so I activated a modded version of Revolving Door instead.  However, I have come to realize that doing so takes away the risk of failure that is also an XCOM staple.
So instead, PC death means that the player has to start again with a level 3 character.
However, any player that has to do so WILL be allowed to resubmit their dead character, with tweaks if they so choose, the only requirement being that they put a corresponding number (X deaths + 1) behind the new character's name.
As GM, I also reserve the right to randomly require the PC to roll 1d4 to determine the new "clone's" gender.

3.) Frickin' Laser Beams
Yes, there will be energy weapons.  However, there is a slight translation problem between an "Earth Defense Simulator" and a tabletop RPG.
In XCOM, part of the game is trying to upgrade your equipment (to energy weapons, naturally) to have more of a fighting chance.  However, Spycraft is specifically designed to avoid "tech creep" with it's gear system, with focus being with character growth.
So for the sake of Game Balance (and because I am a bit partial to ballistics.  Mmm-mmm, shell casings...), energy weapons won't be the "be all, end all" weapon, just an alternate way to kill your enemies.  What I have cooking up is basically:
Plasma- High power, short range.
Laser- High AP, low damage, medium range.
With ballistics' usual advantages of long range and variable ammo rounding things out.  Of course, who knows what strange weapons that the filthy Xeno might employ.  Evil

4.) Who's in charge here?!
Because this is a military game, the PCs will be shouted at by various high ranking individuals.  However, being ordered around by the GM is boring, so I plan to practice a "votable order" approach.  Basically, Mission Control will "identify and prioritize" approaches to a mission, and the PCs get to vote on which one they will get to do.
For example: Say a UFO has dropped off a strike force of Xenos near a subway tunnel in a suburban area.  HQ has reason to believe that the aliens have entered it in an attempt to terrorize one of the stations.  For this mission, HQ will need a team to go down the tunnel after them, another team to enter each station through the main entrance to try to cut them off, and one more team to check the nearby suburbs to make sure that the Xenos haven't infiltrated there instead.  The PCs then vote on which they want to do.  Then we proceed as if HQ had intended to order the party that way anyway.
Also, don't be afraid to speak up about possibilities and approaches I might have missed.  If you can present your case well enough, HQ can "reevaluate" their intel.

and finally:

5.) Home is where the bombs are stored
Another part of the fun of an EDS is the chance to choose what missions you go after from what bases you have.  In DXS (working title), there will be three main bases, essentially "hubs", that the PCs will be able to choose missions from:
-Nowhere, Nevada
-Castletonne, Great Britain
-Area 89, Island in South Asian seas
And if the party becomes renowned enough, maybe a few... classified... bases will be opened up to them.  Grin

So much typing... need to rest...

Bill Whitmore
Mastermind
Control

Woot, I got a new hat! :P

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2012, 03:45:19 PM »

I am going to bow out.  Unfortunately, I don't have the time right now to devote to this and it may be a few weeks before I can commit to a game.

Don't follow your passion.  Take it with you.

ALL HAIL THE FLYING SPAGHETTI MONSTER!   Ramen.
RusVal
Control

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2012, 04:44:41 PM »

I am going to bow out.  Unfortunately, I don't have the time right now to devote to this and it may be a few weeks before I can commit to a game.

That's fine.  Might take me that long to get ready.  Tongue

MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2012, 05:38:09 PM »

Whatever.  Throw in a weight reduction (light SAPI plates exist, they're just expensive, double the price, half the weight), nomex underbritches, tactical glasses (with three lenses), and built in knee and elbow pads.   Grin  Most of this gear is COTS [Commercial Off The Shelf] stuff.
Sure, if you guys want to put those upgrades on, go ahead, as long as you can "afford" them.  I'm just dictating the style, and I'm only limiting the equipment some to fit with the setting.  The rest is up to you guys.
I mention that list because that is current issue gear, and X-Com was set not quite Twenty Minutes into the Future, so if we're starting a few years ago, all this stuff will be standard issue for elite commandos.  I'm just sayin'.

Seuss
Recruit

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2012, 02:25:37 PM »

Good afternoon.  Was just wondering if this was still in the works and if you were still taking on new players?  I'd very much like to join in if there is an opening.

Thanks,
Seuss
MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2012, 09:57:49 PM »

So far we're still discussing setting and gear and such.

RusVal
Control

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2012, 11:58:26 PM »

So far we're still discussing setting and gear and such.

That, and running around in circles, panicking.  Oh wait, that's just me.  Tongue

By the way, never tempt the universe by saying you have "lots of free time".  It tends to go out of the way to give you something to do.   Tongue  I'm still working on this project, but it might take longer than I expected.

Also, I'm going to move general setting discusion over to "Licence to Improvise", since I'm gonna have to muck around with the rules a bit before I'm ready to go.

MilitiaJim
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2012, 10:56:58 AM »

That, and running around in circles, panicking.  Oh wait, that's just me.  Tongue
When in danger, or in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: