Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 19, 2014, 04:54:24 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Play-by-Post
| | |-+  A Keg for Dragon [IC]
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Keg for Dragon [IC]  (Read 7753 times)
Antilles
Mastermind
Control
*****
Posts: 2925


Do I look like a people person?


View Profile
« on: September 21, 2011, 03:09:03 PM »

(click to show/hide)

You spent almost all your remaining coin buying passage on a merchant caravan heading north, though unfortunately it didn't go all the way to the northlands. You've been walking the North Road for over a week now; the last village was 5 days ago and the next isn't until you reach the Ridgeline Mountains, the informal border between the northlands and midlands. The road must've been a sight when it was new, for even after decades of neglect it is still good enough to drive a cart on. The forest it cuts through, however, has grown thick and tall, and has encroached almost into the road itself, casting the road into shadow much of the day and makes the early fall days seem colder than they already are.

It's midday, and judging by the looming mountains in the distance, you just might reach the village you heard about by nightfall.
Logged

"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
ArawnNox
Handler
*****
Posts: 844


GM in Training


View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 04:27:52 PM »

Lauren IceForge, walking somewhere in the middle of the group uses her halberd as a walking stick. The short woman is a veritable walking workshop. Her heavy belt is laden with tools of every kind and all her traveling supplies rest somewhere on her person, but don't slow her down in the least. She has emerald green eyes and long red hair that is held in a multi-section braid with what appear to be bronze hair-ties, each inscribed with dwarven runes.

She's been a dependable companion, thus far, ready to support her comrades during combat and tending to wounds, when needed. She's always friendly and pleasant, though she doesn't talk much about where she comes from. All she's revealed is that she's comes from a smithing family and that her home was lost to volcanic activity. She's not open about dwarven ways, but that's probably because she's a dwarf. Though she's yet to turn down a drinking contest... or lose one.

Lauren wipes a bit of sweat from her brow, peering at the distant mountains, "Finally..." she breaths a sigh of relief.

(click to show/hide)
Logged

Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid.
"A great GM knows how to make sure everyone has fun, and great players know the same." --Patrick Kapera
Arawn's Art: http://arawnnox.deviantart.com
Fiendbasher
Agent
***
Posts: 199


Good ≠ Nice


View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 09:07:47 PM »

Ssryn slid silently along the road ahead of the group, her upper body swaying slowly from side to side as the sinuous coils of her powerful tail propelled her forward. Patches of midday sun broke through the shadows of the trees now and then, gleaming on her olive-scaled skin. Normally, she would have preferred to wind between the trees and stay out of sight as she watched for dangers to the group; but the impending cooling of the evening compelled her to catch as much of the warm sunlight as she could before the forest blocked it off entirely.

She hadn't been thrilled with the group's consensus to move northward... with winter coming, the increasing cold would be a challenge for her to deal with. She really didn't relish the idea of being forced into brumation should temperatures drop below freezing, but should it come to that, she supposed she could part ways with the others. It was profitable enough, and interesting enough, to stay with them for now, however... and besides, if the overgrown winged lizard was willing to brave the chill, then she certainly could also.

Thinking about it still made her awfully cranky, but the mountains were getting closer, and shelter, or at least a warm fire to curl up near was on the horizon. For now, her movement and the noonday sun kept her plenty warm, fast and sharp.

Her wide-set, unblinking golden eyes shifted as she looked about, and her long, forked black tongue darted restlessly, tasting the air as she cruised along, alert to any changes that might precede a threat. She was a fair way ahead of the others, but easily within shouting distance, even with her poor hearing, and she was confident that if they stopped for some reason, she would instantly know about it.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 09:13:44 PM by Fiendbasher » Logged

"I knew you were going to say that..."
ludomastro
Control
******
Posts: 1659



View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 04:24:23 AM »

Alexander walks alongside the dwarf.  He alternates between whistling tavern tunes and singing the ballards of his trade.  Every so often he will hum a tune he has been working on.

Turning to Lauren he asks, "Do you suppose they will have new songs at the inn?  I hope so.  I do love a good tune!"  He subconciously strokes his beard and ruffles his hair before launching into The farmer's daughter.  A baudy little song if ever there were one.

Speaking of farmer's daughters, I hope there are a few at the inn.  It gets cold in the mountains at night.  And company by night is ...  so very nice.

Once he finishes the song he jogs ahead and does a few back-hand springs.  "Good to keep the blood flowing!"

(click to show/hide)
Logged

ArawnNox
Handler
*****
Posts: 844


GM in Training


View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 01:23:08 PM »

Lauren shakes her head at Alexander's antics, "If they're not drinkin' songs, Ah'm not interested. An' save yer energy, there's still a lot o' walkin' ahead."
Logged

Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid.
"A great GM knows how to make sure everyone has fun, and great players know the same." --Patrick Kapera
Arawn's Art: http://arawnnox.deviantart.com
ludomastro
Control
******
Posts: 1659



View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 01:40:57 AM »

"Ahh, there's the stern dwarven demeanor that has won your kin so much love throughout the ages."  Alexander smiles broadly to show he means nothing derogatory by his remarks.  "I know only one dwarven song: a rather jovial drinking song.  Though, I am afraid my voice is not deep enough to do it justice."

"Ssryn, do your people have drinking songs that a human voice can sing?"

This crew makes for good compnaions in a fight; however, I do wish for a city and the life and sounds there.  But I suppose that one can not truly have new songs to sing without adventures ... and one's chances with those farmer's daughters is better with stories to tell.
Logged

Catodon
Control
******
Posts: 1944



View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 02:29:03 AM »

Vandarzryx wings forward at a leisurely pace enjoying the warmth of the sun on his wings, all too soon the weather will be turning colder. He is glad of the quilted vest, while other drakes would consider clothing compensation for folk weakness, Vandarzryx is beginning to learn from the folk. From his high position he protectively watches over Alexander and Srynn, those who he still considers his agents, though he cannot afford to pay them currently. He is careful not to have his shadow over Ssryn allowing the little predator to soak up needed warmth. Alexander is making those strange high pitched noises again, singing, and springing about. Vandarzryx looks on puzzled. The creature’s antics are scaring away game.
Logged

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
Antilles
Mastermind
Control
*****
Posts: 2925


Do I look like a people person?


View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 03:21:01 AM »

Just as Ssryn is about to reply, she notices a bush about 30 ft. ahead rustle stronger than the gentle wind would allow for. She raises her hand and signals a stop, and is about to slither over to investigate when two green-skinned, diminutive figures leap from the brush, wielding crossbows and short swords and menacing the party. “Give us your coin, travelers, or prepare for death!” one of the creatures cries in a crackly, lisping voice.

(click to show/hide)
Logged

"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
Catodon
Control
******
Posts: 1944



View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 03:54:37 AM »

Vandarzryx seeing the caravan stop and hearing the voice call, swoops out of the sky and flames the bush. The flames roils over the bush, too high to hit anything. A couple of seconds of hellfire and the shubbery is lush, green, and untouched.

(click to show/hide)
Logged

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
Antilles
Mastermind
Control
*****
Posts: 2925


Do I look like a people person?


View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 04:06:40 AM »

Apparently the goblins hadn't thought to look up, as they don't notice Vandarzryx before they hear the sudden sharp intake of breath above them. One of them looks up just in time to see the flames roiling very close to his head, before screaming out in surprise and pain while holding a hand over his eyes.

This rather impressive pyrotechnics display is rather impressive to watch, but unfortunately it draws your attention away from the rest of the goblins who'd been hiding in the woods. Four more step out from behind the trees where they had been hiding, levels crossbows at the party and pulls the trigger. Four bolts fly through the air... but none hit their mark.

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 05:02:24 AM by Antilles » Logged

"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
ludomastro
Control
******
Posts: 1659



View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 08:04:13 AM »

Time to get moving.

"Your dead corpses will make for a god bedtime story.  En guarde!"

Alexander pulls his rapier and closes with the nearest of the goblins.

(click to show/hide)
Logged

Fiendbasher
Agent
***
Posts: 199


Good ≠ Nice


View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2011, 12:05:43 PM »

Ssryn recoiled from the blast of heat, gathering her body defensively as flames bloomed from overhead. A crossbow bolt flew over her shoulder from the forest, causing her to flinch once more as she spread her cobralike hood, and lashed the tip of her tail back and forth like a rattlesnake without a rattle.

The drake will have fun those two up the road... I'd better take care of some of the ones under cover.

In a flash, Ssryn plunged into the underbrush toward the two goblins nearest her. Upon reaching one of them she rose up, unsheathing a wickedly curved knife and drew in her coils, ready to strike.... but rather than fangs or blade, it was her tail that lashed out, aimed at the goblin's legs.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 04:39:59 PM by Fiendbasher » Logged

"I knew you were going to say that..."
ArawnNox
Handler
*****
Posts: 844


GM in Training


View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 12:55:02 PM »

Lauren sighs in exaspiration, "Goblins... tryin' te rob a heavily armed pack of travellers... they really ARE bloody stupid, aren't they?"
She follows Alexander into combat, letting him be her buffer and uses her halberd's superior reach to strike past him and strike at the Goblin.

(click to show/hide)
Logged

Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid.
"A great GM knows how to make sure everyone has fun, and great players know the same." --Patrick Kapera
Arawn's Art: http://arawnnox.deviantart.com
Antilles
Mastermind
Control
*****
Posts: 2925


Do I look like a people person?


View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2011, 02:12:51 PM »

Alexander rushes towards the closest goblin, drawing his rapier and readying himself to show some fool goblins the errors of their ways.
Lauren follows closely on Alexander's heels, shifting her grip on her halberd for maximum head crushage.
Ssryn slithers purposefully towards the closest goblin, and her diversionary tactic is successful; the goblin is too busy her hands and fangs to see Ssryn's tail sweep his feet off from under him.

The goblins who fired their crossbows drop their crossbow, draws their short sword and move towards the closest opponent, except for the goblin Ssryn tripped, who stands up, dropping the crossbow and drawing his short sword. The blinded goblin turns towards the forest and carefully makes his way towards cover. The other fires his crossbow towards Vandarzryx... and hits. The bolt hits the drake straight in the chest, but bounces off without barely leaving a mark. Seeing how little impact the crossbow had on the drake, the goblin turns tail and heads towards the forest, considerably faster than his colleague.
The goblin closest to Alexander attacks him, hoping to score first blood, but his efforts is in vain.

(click to show/hide)
Logged

"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
Fiendbasher
Agent
***
Posts: 199


Good ≠ Nice


View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2011, 04:22:51 PM »

After sweeping one of the goblins' feet from beneath him, Ssryn recoiled her torso into strike position and re-flared her hood, tail-tip vibrating rapidly. She brought her hands up at shoulder level, the watermarked steel blade of her curved knife aimed downward like the fang it resembled. As her eyes shifted, following the goblins' movements, she swiftly lunged... not at the one she had just tripped, but rather the other one, stabbing downward with her blade and then recoiling again.

(click to show/hide)
Logged

"I knew you were going to say that..."
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  


Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!