Author Topic: A Keg for Dragon [IC]  (Read 12537 times)

ArawnNox

  • Handler
  • *****
  • Posts: 844
  • GM in Training
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art Page
Re: A Keg for Dragon [IC]
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2011, 10:30:00 AM »
Lauren walks towards Ssryn, calling out; "Ye shoulda known better than te attack armed travellers. But then, what can ye expect from a bunch of dumb goblins?"
Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid.
"A great GM knows how to make sure everyone has fun, and great players know the same." --Patrick Kapera
Arawn's Art: http://arawnnox.deviantart.com

Antilles

  • Mastermind
  • Control
  • *****
  • Posts: 3859
  • Do I look like a people person?
    • View Profile
Re: A Keg for Dragon [IC]
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2011, 01:12:30 PM »
Vandarzryx comes to a dead stop just ahead of the fleeing goblin, and immediately falls down through the tree-line. The sound of wood splintering and branches snapping fills the woods, reverberating through the trees. To Vandarzryx the drop is rougher than expected. His hard scales protects him from the stings of the smaller branches, but several are large enough to leave an impression. One is large enough to tip him over in mid-air, so he lands ungainly, more on his side than on his feet. However, he landed just where he aimed, right in front of the goblin who's skidded to a halt and is staring at him with a dumbfounded look in his eyes. Before the goblin regains the use of his senses, the drake snaps forward his head and closes his massive jaws around the goblin's head. A snap and a tear later, the headless body of the goblin slumps to the ground, blood spurting from the neck stump.

Ssryn whispers her final offer to her captive goblin, who swallows hard, thinks about it for a moment, then nods his head.
"A'right, I'll tell's ya what ya wants to know. We're advance scouts fer the Iron Legion. They're plannin' on sackin' the town an' the surroundin' area, mebbe even claim the land as theirs, I dunno. There's a couple other groups like us about, but I'm fairly certain we're the only ones south'a the town. We was to keep an eye on traffic outta the town, make sure they didn't send for help or somesuch, but the only one we've killed so far's been a travellin' merchant, jus' fore we spotted you guys. Stashed 'im under a bush a little up the road 'fore we set up the ambush. That's all I know, honest!"

Spoiler: Actions • show

Vandarzryx takes 2d6=6 falling damage, attacks the goblin and hits (without spending an AD), goblin fails its damage save (1d20+1=10)
Ssryn attempts to coerce the goblin again, I've set the modifiers to Extreme Risk (there's a good chance he'll die, but no longer certain) and Extreme Incentive (he might possibly get to live), so the modifiers cancel each other out. The goblin gets 1d20+1=7 and fails to resist.
"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
Mortality clarified in a single strike!

Fiendbasher

  • Agent
  • ***
  • Posts: 233
  • Good ≠ Nice
    • View Profile
Re: A Keg for Dragon [IC]
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2011, 02:30:23 PM »
The hissing fades to a stop as Ssryn listen's to the goblin's tale, her companions (Lauren at least) slowly drawing nearer. The naga's pupils contract slightly and her hood folds as she considers what she is hearing. This changes things... a goblin band about is one thing, but if there is a large force in the area, we may not want to risk them knowing we're here yet. Still...

There is a further long, suspenseful moment before she tosses the goblin away from her, pulling one of her throwing knives and drawing it slowly behind her fangs.

"Better run now, rabbit..." Ssryn says as she rises back up into strike position, tailtip twitching with excitement, and pupils pinning with predatory intent...

...she had never mentioned how much of a head start he would get, after all...

Spoiler: Prey is afoot • show

Grapple benefit: Toss -- 1d4+1=4 subdual damage (disregard damage if not applicable and just toss for dramatic effect)

Half Action: Handle item -- if allowed I would like to apply 1 use of my venom from toxin sacs to a throwing knife. Disregard if you don't think it's appropriate, done mostly for dramatic effect.

Half Action: Ready action -- Wait until the goblin moves (allowing him to get up if he's sprawled). If he turns and runs, she waits until he's about 15' away or threatening to reach full cover, then throws the knife (1d20+4=16, 1d4+1=2 if a hit).

On the highly unlikely off chance the toss left him unconscious, she will just painlessly dispatch him.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 04:03:30 PM by Fiendbasher »
"I knew you were going to say that..."

Catodon

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 1948
  • AKA: Coronoides
    • View Profile
    • Gulliver's Trading Company RPG
Re: A Keg for Dragon [IC]
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2011, 01:52:36 AM »
Vandarzyrx swallows and ROARS! The exhilaration of the kill coursing through veins. A minute later he has regained his composure. He claws apart the goblinís gear looking for loot, but not really expecting any. Then he begins to pick his way back through the forest to where he left the other goblin curled up in fear.
"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
Also check out RPG Review:
http://rpgreview.net

Antilles

  • Mastermind
  • Control
  • *****
  • Posts: 3859
  • Do I look like a people person?
    • View Profile
Re: A Keg for Dragon [IC]
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2011, 07:55:39 AM »
The goblin thrown by Ssryn lands hard, knocking the air out of him. Several seconds pass as he sucks in as much air as he can, before scrambling to his feet away from the naga and towards the thickest part of the forest. Just as he's about to duck behind a decently-sized tree, there is a gentle 'whoosh' noise, barely detectable even if you're listening, which the goblin certainly isn't, before the knife thrown by Ssryn is buried to the hilt in the goblin's neck. The momentum keeps him going for a couple of steps, which is enough to send him straight into the tree which he bounces off of, falls down and lies still. It's almost funny, in a grotesque sort of way.

Vandarzryx picks at the dead goblin's clothes with his claw, but it doesn't seem like he's carrying anything besides his weapons and armor, which looks to be goblin-made and thus hardly worth their weight in scrap. He begins walking back to the road, knocking down small trees as he goes.

Spoiler: Actions • show

I'll allow throwing without doing damage. Ssryn's ready action goes off, the attack hits and the goblin fails its damage save (1d20+1=5).

Vandarzryx loots the body, finds only its weapons and armor: short sword, light crossbow and 9 bolts, all small and crude, and a small partial leather armor.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 07:57:56 AM by Antilles »
"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
Mortality clarified in a single strike!

Fiendbasher

  • Agent
  • ***
  • Posts: 233
  • Good ≠ Nice
    • View Profile
Re: A Keg for Dragon [IC]
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2011, 11:35:20 AM »
Tucking her hands behind her back, Ssryn lowers herself down almost flat along the ground and slithers quickly up to the tree and the stricken goblin beside it before arching back up and reaching down to roll him over and retrieve her knife. Her tongue flicks in and out rapidly as she looks over the body... seeing that the blood from the wound in its neck merely leaks rather than gushing, she's satisfied that he's quite dead. She hooks her short claws into his armor and drags the body swiftly toward the road.

Once Ssryn breaks into the clear she sees Lauren and calls out to her, "Thheze are advanz sscoutz ffor a larger fforz. Did any ezcape?" She looks about, irises shifting and tongue flicking slowly...
"I knew you were going to say that..."

ArawnNox

  • Handler
  • *****
  • Posts: 844
  • GM in Training
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art Page
Re: A Keg for Dragon [IC]
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2011, 11:41:43 AM »
Lauren finishes her walk over to Ssryn, the gore mostly cleaned from her weapon and herself. She puts her halberd across her shoulders, arms casually wrapped over the haft. "Didje find anythin' useful from th' goblin, or was it mostly cussin' an' gibberish?" she asks, a lopsided smile on the dwarven woman's face.

However, when Ssryn informs her about the band being advanced scouts, that smile disappears. "Scouts? Shite, um, one took off, but ah think th' drake is chasin' it down. If that roar tells me anythin' he got 'im."
Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid.
"A great GM knows how to make sure everyone has fun, and great players know the same." --Patrick Kapera
Arawn's Art: http://arawnnox.deviantart.com

Fiendbasher

  • Agent
  • ***
  • Posts: 233
  • Good ≠ Nice
    • View Profile
Re: A Keg for Dragon [IC]
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2011, 11:58:04 AM »
"Xesshkt! Bezt make ssure." the naga utters, releasing the dead goblin, and turns to lash her way through the grass alongside the road toward where she last saw the drake, keeping her senses alert for signs of the bandits, living or dead.
"I knew you were going to say that..."

ludomastro

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 2135
    • View Profile
Re: A Keg for Dragon [IC]
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2011, 10:59:09 PM »
Upon hearing the naga's explanation, Alexander continues his dash toward the underbrush slowing only as much as needed to keep from tripping over the roots and tangled weeds.  His rapier aiding his balance as he flows through the obstacles.

Well, saving the village will get me more than a farmer's daughter.  Though, I suppose I have to live to collect on that ideal.

Remember, dragons are prickly about honor.


"Lord Vandarzyrx, have you silenced the last of them?"

Catodon

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 1948
  • AKA: Coronoides
    • View Profile
    • Gulliver's Trading Company RPG
Re: A Keg for Dragon [IC]
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2011, 01:46:29 AM »
Vandarzryx "Alexander" rumbles the dragon "I have brought down one of these thieves. I left another somewhere between here and the road, cowering driven mindless by my magnificence. I seek him now, perhaps this small band has it's lair nearby. I seek to burn them to the root"

Spoiler: show
 keeping within character knowledge. Also the dragon tends to underestimate folk of all kinds.
"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
Also check out RPG Review:
http://rpgreview.net

Fiendbasher

  • Agent
  • ***
  • Posts: 233
  • Good ≠ Nice
    • View Profile
Re: A Keg for Dragon [IC]
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2011, 10:33:38 AM »
Catching sight of the merchant's body, Ssryn slides up next to it and seizes it by the ankle, dragging it up next to the road as she listened to the exchange between the bard and the dragon. She could make out enough of the words to know what was going on, and had ample confidence in her companions that they would find and take care of the remaining scout. Meanwhile, she turned the body over and began going through his possessions, trying to learn what she can of who he was, where he came from, and where he'd been going before he met his end.

Spoiler: show
Search roll, if necessary: 1d20+2=4
"I knew you were going to say that..."

Antilles

  • Mastermind
  • Control
  • *****
  • Posts: 3859
  • Do I look like a people person?
    • View Profile
Re: A Keg for Dragon [IC]
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2011, 11:14:56 AM »
As Ssryn approaches the bushes where the goblins stashed their prey, she can see the spots of blood on the road telling the tale of where he was attacked, where he fell down and where he was dragged. As she drags the merchant out from underneath the bush, she can see a deep gash in the man's side that appears to have bled copious amounts. She begins to pat the body down when she notices that the goblins must've been more incompetent than they appeared, because the man is still alive. He's deathly pale and barely breathing, but it's clear life hasn't left this body yet.
"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
Mortality clarified in a single strike!

ArawnNox

  • Handler
  • *****
  • Posts: 844
  • GM in Training
    • View Profile
    • My Deviant Art Page
Re: A Keg for Dragon [IC]
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2011, 01:35:05 PM »
Lauren had followed Ssryn when she shot off towards the bushes. She catches up just as the naga starts searching the body, "Find anythin---" she notices his shallow breathing, "Oh, shite!"

The dwarf drops her halberd and crouches down next to the man, pulling out her bag of supplies. "Move, let me patch him up!"

She goes through her bag and begins patching up the merchant's wound, applying bandages and staunching the bloodflow.

Spoiler: Stabilizing the Merchant • show

Assuming he's dying and in need of stabilizing.
Medicine Check
1d20+6=10
Going to Spend an AD on the long-shot of trying to boost that above a 15
1d6=5
Ah hah! Success! Total: 15
Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid.
"A great GM knows how to make sure everyone has fun, and great players know the same." --Patrick Kapera
Arawn's Art: http://arawnnox.deviantart.com

Antilles

  • Mastermind
  • Control
  • *****
  • Posts: 3859
  • Do I look like a people person?
    • View Profile
Re: A Keg for Dragon [IC]
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2011, 11:07:57 AM »
As Lauren prepares to tend to the man's wounds, she quickly discovers he bears only one wound, a deep cut into his side whose strike appears to have come from behind. As she rips open his vest and rinse away the worst blood, she remembers those old sayings about merchants being lucky, because this one sure is. If the strike had been a little higher, lower or deeper he would surely have bled out by now.
While he has lost a lot of blood, it's not quite as bad as it looks. He stirs and groans a little as Lauren applies the bandages, and just as she's tightening the last bandage he wakes with a start and some slurry words that quite likely is a curse of some sort. He's quite groggy for a moment, but then seems to remember what happened to him and his eyes snap into focus, and he's very near panic as he fervently glances around trying to get a feel for the situation. The lack of goblins seems to calm him down, and he addresses those around him.
"You've dealt with the goblins, then? You have my most sincere thanks for taking care of them, and not least saving my life. I'm Thomas, though most people call me Peddler Thomas. I've been... Ahrg!"
He tried to stand, but came as far as sitting before nearly doubling over in pain. Clutching his side and gritting his teeth in pain, he manages to wheeze "Damn, but they got me good. Listen, I've a merchant's pack, it should be here somewhere. In the left topmost pocket there's several metal flasks, could you bring me one?"
Looking back towards the forest, you can see the goblins dragged the large backpack a bit further in the woods, and scattered several of the pack's contents while no doubt rummaging through it looking for loot. The side pockets seem to be still closed.
"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
Mortality clarified in a single strike!

Fiendbasher

  • Agent
  • ***
  • Posts: 233
  • Good ≠ Nice
    • View Profile
Re: A Keg for Dragon [IC]
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2011, 11:46:07 AM »
Ssryn flows out of the way as Lauren swoops in to work on the merchant. The naga moves a fair distance away and watches. When he wakes, she slides just out of his line of sight, and stays there.

Listening to the exchange between Peddler Thomas and Lauren, she flattens down and slips back into the foliage where she'd found the merchant's unconscious body. Sure enough, on the way there she runs across the drag mark where the goblins had absconded with the pack.

Funny I hadn't noticed that before...

After a quick glance about the belongings scattered about for metal flasks, she nabs the pack and drags it back toward the road, staying low and keeping out of sight among the trees and bushes. She deposits it beside a tree near the drag trail, where Lauren should be able to see and retrieve it, and then moves away from it.

Spoiler: Very sneaky... • show
She's trying to stay out of sight lest her appearance startles the merchant.
Sneak roll: 1d20+9=25
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 11:51:06 AM by Fiendbasher »
"I knew you were going to say that..."