Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 20, 2014, 03:15:08 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Play-by-Post
| | |-+  A Keg for Dragon [IC]
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Keg for Dragon [IC]  (Read 7974 times)
Catodon
Control
******
Posts: 1946



View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: February 02, 2012, 02:57:14 PM »

Vandarzryx seems only to be driven into a beastial rage by his wounds. The light of intelligence goes out in his eyes and the beast beneathe rises. He roars and snarls like a wounded lion as he thrashes and bites with animal recklessness.

(click to show/hide)

Logged

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
Antilles
Mastermind
Control
*****
Posts: 2934


Do I look like a people person?


View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 09, 2012, 03:23:56 PM »

Alexander aims a blow directly towards the orc's nether regions. He doesn't quite get a solid hit on the orc's family jewels, but it seems the orc values his manhood over his life, as he drops his weapon and scampers, hand held protectively over his groin. The sudden retreat makes Alexander's leg sweep fall short.

Vandarzryx drops all pretense of finesse and snaps and snarls at the two orcs left. One manages to dodge to the side, but the other's not quite fast enough, and gets one of his arms ripped off. He quickly runs out of both blood and steam, and falls to the ground soon-to-be dead.

The dwarf moves up to the remaining orc and swings his war hammer in a powerful overhead swing. Unfortunately it misses and completely obliterates an old stump, followed by some choice curses from the dwarf.

Ssryn slithers around the orc and stabs him in the side. He bellows in pain and rage but is still standing.

The last remaining orc seems determined to kill the drake, even more so now that he's surrounded and moments away from death. His first blow is hampered just enough by the wound in his side to cause the blade to clang uselessly against the drake's scales, but the second hits home, burying it deep in the drake's side. Vandarzryx roars and snaps at the orc, but he sidesteps the jaws as he pulls the blade out again.

Lauren moves up next to the other dwarf and brings her halberd down in a motion quite similar to his, only difference is she actually hits. Two roughly same-sized chunks of orc hits the ground with a wet thud.

As the last orc falls, you notice the fire behind you is rapidly spreading outwards, with the few gaps back towards the cave closing fast.

(click to show/hide)
Logged

"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
Fiendbasher
Agent
***
Posts: 199


Good ≠ Nice


View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 09, 2012, 05:20:46 PM »

After the last orc falls, Ssryn raises her torso even higher, twisting this way and that, as she peers quickly around through the encroaching flames. One look was enough to tell her the drake probably isn't in much condition to run, much less fly... so best to find a safe path out that he might actually be able to take, as well as the rest of the group.

She freezes and her oval pupils expand as she seems to spot something. "Thiss whay!" she hisses sharply, as she drops back down and starts to move whip-quick down a swath of green saplings and underbrush.

(click to show/hide)
Logged

"I knew you were going to say that..."
ludomastro
Control
******
Posts: 1669



View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 13, 2012, 03:24:45 AM »

Alexander runs over to Vandarzryx and says, "Let's go, your lordship.  We don't need to roast dragon today."

With that he begins moving after Ssryn.
Logged

Catodon
Control
******
Posts: 1946



View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: February 13, 2012, 05:06:48 AM »

As Alexander steps forward a low rumble begins in the back of the Drakes throat... then the light of intelligence flickers on. "Lead on loyal servant" comes the reply without any hint of sarcasm. Vandarzryx crashes through the undergrowth like a rhinoceros but the tall trunks of the trees and deadfall slow the great drake considerably

(click to show/hide)
Logged

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
Antilles
Mastermind
Control
*****
Posts: 2934


Do I look like a people person?


View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 22, 2012, 04:05:29 AM »

As the group ascertains that the drake's still alive, they become acutely aware that the fire behind them is spreading rapidly. Acting quickly, Ssryn finds a path through the fire that should keep them clear of the fire. The rest follow the naga without hesitation, and though the heat and smoke is uncomfortable, they reach the other side without any injuries, though both dwarves got a lungful of smoke and is couching heavily.

Vandarzryx starts to move after them, but quickly sees that the path is too narrow for him, he'll burn his wings if he tries to move through with the rest of them. Taking a few steps back and positioning himself so he's standing with as few trees around him as he can, he crouches down, jumps surprisingly high straight up, unfolds his wings and with a couple hard wingstrokes he's gained enough altitude to be able to glide unharmed over the fire and land in front of the cave.

Unfortunately the draft created by the powerful wings of the drake blows directly against the fire, which pushes it towards the cave and showers the rest of the party with embers and bits of burning wood. Fortunately, nothing lands on hair or clothes, but they're nonetheless encouraged to move like their asses are on fire towards the cave.

(click to show/hide)
Logged

"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
Antilles
Mastermind
Control
*****
Posts: 2934


Do I look like a people person?


View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 18, 2012, 12:04:03 PM »

As the fire intensifies behind them, the group quickly heads into the caves, with the dwarf moving first. The group's passage tears the vine curtain badly, but considering it's moments away from being burnt nobody cares. They quickly move through the twisty entry passage (Vandarzryx has to somewhat painfully squeeze through it) and reach the main room.

The main room is surprisingly large. It's not quite large enough for the drake to stand, forcing him to do the drake equivalent of slouching if he wants to stand upright. It is, however, large enough to spread his wings quite comfortably if he wanted. There are two fixtures in the main cave, a training area with a couple of homemade dummies and some simple wooden training weapons, and a fireplace with some improvised seating around it. There are three openings from the main cave in addition to the outside entrance, two smaller side-caves and one larger opening that leads somewhere deeper. The smaller caves seems to be a bedding area and what appears to be a hot spring, illuminated by a small torch in either cave.

The dwarf is over in the training area, picking through what appears to be his personal belongings and seems to be readying his armor and other weapons. Lauren takes out her medicine bag and moves over. She quickly cleans the wound in his side and you can hear her lecturing him on cleaning wounds before putting on armor. He is told to let it work for a little while before rinsing it off.

Once Lauren's done applying the salve she moves towards the drake, to see what she can do to the drake's fairly grievous wounds. She is unaccustomed to working with drakes, so she takes her time and methodically works the wounds one by one in an effort to avoid making the situation worse for the wounded drake.

The dwarf winces from the stinging lotion on his wound, and turns to the group. "All right. Anyone who can kill an orc like that can't be all bad. I'll tell you what you want to know, and then some. Heh, maybe one day we'll be battle brothers. Name's Gristle."

Gristle walks over to the fireplace and sits down as he begins to tell what he know. Apparently he's a freelance mercenary who's lately begun to organize fighting rings in several southern cities, that although they're not quite legal they've turned out to be pretty popular. He first met Chapel when the kid fought off a couple of thugs who were 'persuading' the kid to pay off some gambling debts, and Gristle could immediately see the kid had potential. He decided to take Chapel under his wings and teach him some skills to go along with the talent, but he wanted to get him out of the city in order to keep him away from his gambling debts and to keep him a surprise, to bring him in as a ringer when he was ready. So Gristle sent him up here, arranged with Templeton to create a cover story and room and board for the kid.
He'd left Chapel here for half a year or so to work on his form, and returned to check up on him when he discovered he'd been named the Dragon's Ward. He'd been happy for the kid, but they'd had an argument over money. Him being the Dragon's Ward pretty much meant he was no good as a champion, so he wanted the money he'd invested in Chapel back, preferably before he left the village. Chapel said he'd try, but then he vanished, and Gristle came to the cave to look for him. He's been waiting for a few days now, and no sign of the boy. He was clearing his head with exercise and trying to figure out what to do when he heard the group outside.

He takes a moment to check the lotion to see if has dried, and to let the group digest his information.

(click to show/hide)
Logged

"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
Fiendbasher
Agent
***
Posts: 199


Good ≠ Nice


View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 18, 2012, 12:50:46 PM »

Ssryn is quite content to take a low priority for treatment, as she has only sustained some minor burns and shallow cuts. She coils up in a shady out-of-the-way spot and waits as she listens to what Gristle has to say.

After he seems to be finished she speaks up, "Sso the orcz have taken Chapel hosstage... one would guesss to keep the dragon at bay, one way or anotther. It sseemz we have two choissez... well three, if we conssider leaving to be one of thhem." Her black forked tongue flickers out and in, glistening in the dim firelight as she pauses briefly.

"Ssneak into the camp and rezcue the boy, ffind the barrel and the dragon. Or try to ffend off an army with the village and ourzelvez."

(click to show/hide)
Logged

"I knew you were going to say that..."
Catodon
Control
******
Posts: 1946



View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: March 19, 2012, 12:48:55 AM »

Vandarzryx nods at Ssrynís suggestion. ďWhen the fires have done the work of killing any orcs near here. I will fly high over the forest to locate the camp. Ssryn will then stalk into the camp and locate Chapel and the barrel. Once I know the position of the camp and of Chapel I will be ready to both strike the orcs and retrieve Chapel and the barrel. Ē
Logged

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
Antilles
Mastermind
Control
*****
Posts: 2934


Do I look like a people person?


View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 19, 2012, 09:27:01 AM »

Gristle scratches his chin as he contemplates the comments so far.

"I dunno... I've thought a bit about where Chapel might've gone to, and the orcs... well, there's a few details that're bugging me. First, I don't think the orcs arrived here until the day after Chapel arrived. I've fought orc warbands before, and I've a good sense for how fast they move, and if they arrived before Chapel disappeared they've been pretty slow in advancing towards the village. Though I suppose they're wary of the dragon... Which is the second reason I'm not sure they're the reason Chapel's missing. As I said, he's a good fighter, and I've heard being a Dragon's Ward is more than just a fancy title. I'd guess at least half a dozen orcs to be sure to successfully corner Chapel, and unless the stories I've heard about the local dragon's been greatly exaggerated, he'd know that many were stalking through the woods this close to his lair."

He picks absentmindedly at the crust of the salve over his mind as he mulls on what he just said.

"However, even if they didn't nab the boy themselves, the orcs've definitely a hand in this. No way in hell I'll believe it's a coincidence the orcs appeared just as Chapel's gone missing and the deal protecting the village falls through. Though I agree if we come across the orc camp, we should do some damage, maybe buy the village some time. 'Course, I just like fightin' orcs, so it's win-win for me."

He grins at that last part.

"Hold on, I might've got somethin' we can try. I was lookin' around for some clues to what's been happening, and found this map. Hang on..." he runs off to the bedding area and returns with a map of the area, with what appears to be caves marked on them. One of them is marked by a poorly replicated dragon rune, which Vandarzryx translates as 'Home'. There are some notes in human script around a couple of caves, the one you're in is simply marked 'spring.'
"I think this map lead to the dragon's cave, but I wasn't exactly keen on dropping in on a dragon unannounced. Though I don't think Chapel wrote this, the handwriting's off. Wasn't planning on going there, but you lot'll probably manage to not piss off the dragon, so it might be an idea to visit him.
Logged

"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
Fiendbasher
Agent
***
Posts: 199


Good ≠ Nice


View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 19, 2012, 01:46:19 PM »

The naga's pupils contract and her tailtip starts twitching for a moment as she watches Gristle talk. "Hzshh... that'z true, if thhey were shure they had the dragon at bay, it seemz not likely they would ztill be sskulking around the shadowz." She folds her arms across her slender torso.

Quote
"So perhapz ssomething haz befallen the dragon, and the orcz are not ssure he iz truly out of the way yet. It might exzplain why he haz not reacted to the army'z prezensse, or that of our dragon for thhat matter. Our dragon haz not exzactly been quiet."

After observing Gristle for a while, Ssryn's tailtip falls still, and she turns her attention instead to cleaning the dried blood... mostly orc, but a bit of her own as well... off of her scales, using a bit of water, and one of her scarves. As she works, she continues speaking.

Quote
"Approaching the dragonz lair will tell uss more. But not ssure if iz more or less dangerouss than the orc camp. In one hand, two eyez are eazier to fool than hundreds, and thhe dragon may not be immediately hosstile to us. In the other hand he may not appreshhiate another draco near hiz lair."

She twists her torso to face Vandarzryx and looks to him, asking, "Iz there an etiquette for approaching the lair of another with peaczful intention?"


(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 01:16:11 AM by Fiendbasher » Logged

"I knew you were going to say that..."
ludomastro
Control
******
Posts: 1669



View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 22, 2012, 07:45:26 PM »

Alexander smiles at the thought of visiting with another dragon.  Truly a remarkable man to have not only met a dragon but to be traveling with one.  Oh, yes.  The girls will like that.

He begins casting about for his lute and then he stares at the fire burning outside the cave.  "Easy come, easy go, I suppose."

Breaking his thoughts away from snapping strings and curling wood, he continues, "Yes, I think dropping by the dragon might well prove the most profitable path ... though, I wouldn't mind my pound of flesh from the orcs at it concerns my lute."
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 02:01:40 AM by ludomastro » Logged

Catodon
Control
******
Posts: 1946



View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: March 23, 2012, 12:25:35 AM »

Vandarzryx:"One must anounce one's approach and be very respectful, then there is some possibility of avoiding conflict"

(click to show/hide)
Logged

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
Fiendbasher
Agent
***
Posts: 199


Good ≠ Nice


View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 23, 2012, 01:34:02 AM »

Ssryn seems to consider this a moment as she pauses to examine her claws. Her lidless eyes glimmer faintly in the dim firelight.

Quote
"I am ssurprized that your bellow when we entered the town didn't rouze him... ssertainly he must be indisspozed. Sstill... perhapz it help if you sstay out of sight until one of uss can announss you firzt. That iz, if we can rouz him at all."

The naga turns her gaze toward the entrance of the cave, somewhat concerned that with the fire going full bore outside, smoke may be pulled into the chambers. So far, however, it seemed like it was going to be a fine place to wait it out. In fact, if she was forced to live in a climate with such cold winters as this region, she might choose such a place to retreat from the frost. 'Who knows,', she thought to herself. 'Perhaps the old lizard just can't be bothered to come out in the cold.'
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 01:36:49 AM by Fiendbasher » Logged

"I knew you were going to say that..."
Antilles
Mastermind
Control
*****
Posts: 2934


Do I look like a people person?


View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 26, 2012, 02:53:26 AM »

Gristle simply shrugs at the little exchange between the group. "Well, I don't mind admittin' that I'll be in the back, when we go visitin' the dragon. Far, far in the back. I think I'd rather an entire orcish warband by myself than one pissed off dragon. Ah well, it's yer problem to ponder, not mine."
He picks a bit more at the mostly-dry salve over his wound, and apparently decides it's time to wash it off, as he gets up and moves towards the hot springs.

Ssryn notices on the flickering of the flames, to her relief, that there seems to be a slight breeze coming from the opening opposite the entrance and towards the outside. It might not be strong enough to keep all the smoke out of the cave, but if it does there's clearly a source of fresh air somewhere down there.

Lauren is still working on Vandarzryx, his numerous wounds and her inexperience working with drakes slowing her down somewhat, but she manages to stem the bleeding and close the wounds at the very least. It'll take a while for the drake to return to full fighting form, but he's forced to admit he'd be quite a bit worse off if she hadn't been here.

Gristle returns shortly, having rinsed the lotion off his side. The wound's looking much better, and he begins putting on his clothes and armor, throwing a compliment to Lauren's medical skills that she absentmindedly brushes off while working on a wound in Vandarzryx's side.

(click to show/hide)
Logged

"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  


Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.13 | SMF © 2006-2011, Simple Machines LLC Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!