Author Topic: A Keg for Dragon [IC]  (Read 11037 times)

Fiendbasher

  • Agent
  • ***
  • Posts: 199
  • Good ≠ Nice
    • View Profile
Re: A Keg for Dragon [IC]
« Reply #165 on: January 17, 2012, 05:13:21 PM »
Startled by the whistle of arrows flying past her and the roar of the drake, Ssryn springs up and twists her torso around to face the direction the missiles were fired from... her tail-tip lashing and hood spreading reflexively. She winds the end of the weighted scarf tighter around her fist as she pauses to get her bearings, and after the second volley passes, she seems to have a plan in mind.

Uncoiling like a spring, she lashes across the ground toward the trees the orcs are using for cover, intending to quickly disappear among them herself once she reaches them. As she moves, she listens as best she can. The drake will surely cause chaos among the orcs soon, and when he does, one among them will raise his voice to try to bring them under reign. Then, Ssryn will know her target...

Spoiler
Assumed to take place when she's able to act. She intends to reach the trees and hide among them, then flank around, looking for a possible leader among the orcs. If she can't reach the trees proper in one go, she will take any cover she can find after a full move: rock, tree or bush...

Full Action: Sneak w/ full move (-4 to roll): 1d20+5=16 Willing to spend an AD if I juuuuust missed it.
"I knew you were going to say that..."

ludomastro

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 2016
    • View Profile
Re: A Keg for Dragon [IC]
« Reply #166 on: January 17, 2012, 10:42:19 PM »
"By the Bard's own beard!  Where did they come from?"  After collecting his wits, Alexander draws his rapier and charges toward the nearest enemy singing the chorus from Men of Valor are We - an old bar tune about a human victory over orc raiders.

Spoiler
I'm assuming that drawing the rapier counts as one half action and that moving counts as the other.  Therefore, I'll have to wait before assuming a stance or attacking.

Catodon

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 1946
    • View Profile
    • Gulliver's Trading Company RPG
Re: A Keg for Dragon [IC]
« Reply #167 on: January 18, 2012, 02:31:50 AM »
HaHar! Is that all you got!
I think I will take an AD on that save.
boost save (1d6=5)

From inside his own head it looks like this…
Punctured and bruised the indominable will of mighty Vandarzryx rises. Head held high he breathes into his powerful lungs then with a majestic roar blasts a withering gout of flame across the prey that dare harm his mighty person!

Bathed in Glory!
If Alexander can move far enough to engage the orcs then I'll have to angle the breath attack to avoid the orc(s) adjacent to the bard.

Breath attack 20’ cone. The orcs should be at the far edge of the cone if I got the landing right.
Attack roll
gout of flame (1d20=12)
And add an AD
boost flame attack (1d6=5)
TOTAL attack roll 17.

Fire Damage (ref save for half)
burn! (2d6+3=8)

And I’ll spend an AD on defence (raises to 12)
boost defence by 2 for this many rounds (1d6=2)

Also note if the drake is killed, well I have more character ideas than games to play them in and
 He’ll die bathed in glory!
"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1

Antilles

  • Mastermind
  • Control
  • *****
  • Posts: 3546
  • Do I look like a people person?
    • View Profile
Re: A Keg for Dragon [IC]
« Reply #168 on: January 19, 2012, 10:02:43 AM »
Alexander draws his rapier and rushes forward towards the enemy, providing proper background music for the skirmish.

Vandarzryx turns around to face the orcs, uprooting and knocking over trees in the process. He can feel the fire swelling in his chest, and as soon as he has a cluster of orcs in front of him, he lets loose. Flames billow forth, rapidly expanding and engulfing four unlucky orcs. When the gout of flame dies down, four charred corpses lie on the ground. The area is littered with small fires that looks like they'll go out on their own, though two trees seem to be burning a little brighter than the others.

The dwarf brandishes his war hammer and runs towards the enemy alongside Alexander, shouting things in dwarven that makes Lauren go 'huh, haven't heard that one before...'

Ssryn starts moving from cover to cover towards the orcs, listening to the shouts coming from them trying to identify the leader among them, but unfamiliarity with the orcish language makes it difficult. After a bit she does notice one that seems to do all the shouting, and that the others seem to be replying to.

The orcs drop their bows and draws short swords, and half charge the drake while the other half charges out towards the rest of the group. One of orcs in the latter group (the same one Ssryn figures is the leader) snarls "We'll kill you, and then the town will be ours!". The ones going for Vandarzryx move to surround him, while the ones charging towards the rest will be within striking distance in moments.

Lauren dispenses with the theatrics and runs towards the orcs, murder on her mind.

Spoiler
Vandarzryx breathes fire and hits 4 orcs. Orc 1-4 save 1d20+1=5 failed, orc 1-5 1d20+1=11 failed, orc 2-4 1d20+1=5 failed, orc 2-5 1d20+1=10 failed. All take full damage. Orc 1-4 damage save 1d20+2=7 failed, orc 1-5 damage save 1d20+2=3 failed, orc 2-4 damage save 1d20+2=6 failed, orc 2-5 damage save 1d20+2=5 failed.

I was a bit unsure about how to check to see if the forest catches fire, but finally I settled on making up the number of trees hit and roll damage save for them. In this case it's 7 trees (4 that the orcs were hiding behind and 3 in the way), and if any fail they catch fire and then the whole fire spreading to the surrounding scenery thing starts.

1d20+14=30, 1d20+14=20, 1d20+14=16, 1d20+14=29, 1d20+14=32, 1d20+14=24, 1d20+14=15 Welp, two trees catches fire. We'll see next round what happens...

Ssryn Sense Motive (+ synergy from Notice) 1d20+6=20

Vandarzryx is still squeezing, Alexander is 10 ft. away from the orcs, Lauren and the dwarf are within striking distance.

initiative
Alexander 14/13
Vandarzryx 1/24
Dwarf nicked
Ssryn 22/14
Orc 1-1 ok
Orc 1-2 ok
Orc 1-3 ok
Orc 2-1 ok
Orc 2-2 ok
Orc 2-3 ok
Lauren 24/16
« Last Edit: January 19, 2012, 11:25:27 PM by Antilles »
"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
Mortality clarified in a single strike!

ludomastro

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 2016
    • View Profile
Re: A Keg for Dragon [IC]
« Reply #169 on: January 20, 2012, 12:38:37 AM »
Alexander smiles as he closes the last few feet to his target: the ugly orc on the end.  He continues singing while looking for an opening.  Sensing a reasonable opening, he takes it, opting to inflict pain and worry rather than seek a death blow.  He doesn't like the look of smug superiority on the orc's face.


Fiendbasher

  • Agent
  • ***
  • Posts: 199
  • Good ≠ Nice
    • View Profile
Re: A Keg for Dragon [IC]
« Reply #170 on: January 20, 2012, 12:18:31 PM »
Ssryn waits for the group that is heading toward the bard and the dwarves to charge past her, keeping oriented on the one she thinks is calling the shots.

'He's charging into the fray, so silencing him before the others notice won't be so easy,' she thinks, 'I'll have to do it the old fashioned way.'

The moment they've gone past, she leaves her scarf on the ground, slips silently from cover, and slides swiftly up behind the 'lead' orc. In one fluid move, she draws her wickedly curved dagger and strikes, intending to plant it neatly between his shoulderblades....

The Serpent's Strike
Since I only pulled one move to get where I was, I should be still be no more than one move away from the group when they reach the others. This should allow me to close behind them and make one attack.

Attack (+1 and 2 AP if Special, +2 more to hit if flanking): 1d20+4=23  Threat - Spend 1 AD to activate.

Damage (if applicable): 1d6+4=10 If it has a chance to put him down I'm willing to spend another AD on damage (if possible, and I don't mind using one of Vandarzryx's offered AD to do it, I'm sure he'd approve  ;))

If that doesn't kill him, it'll rattle his cage for sure.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 12:27:25 PM by Fiendbasher »
"I knew you were going to say that..."

Catodon

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 1946
    • View Profile
    • Gulliver's Trading Company RPG
Re: A Keg for Dragon [IC]
« Reply #171 on: January 20, 2012, 06:05:15 PM »
Vandarzryx bellows and the roar is the orcish word for “D…E…A…T…H!”
at the same time whipping his serpentine neck and crushing jaws forward seeking to snatch and toss an orc.

oblivious to the burning trees

Intimidate. Action ends flat footed.
Intimidate nearest orc (1d20+6=22)

Reach 2, Bite I and shove As an unarmed attack bite can be combined with ‘shove’. I have taken the liberty of ‘skinning’ this as a snatch and toss with the orc landing on his feet. I will not follow the idea is to force the orc to move before attacking or at least use up his 5’ step without setting up a flank
Rolls.
Bite/shove (1d20+4=10)+4 (1d10+2 lethal threat 18-20)
not likely to be needed (1d10+2=9)

Defence 12 this round.

Active Defences
As well as my proactive actions I spent my proficiencies on advanced combat actions designed to fend off atttacks by minions and grant conditional attacks. Please review this list when the orcs attack the drake.

Parry: Just a reminder that the first two successful melee attacks (only) against me is likely to be batted aside by the drake. Antilles please make the roll for this when it comes up.

Retribution: The first melee to actually do damage to the drake triggers a free attack against the opponent even if the danage would normally take me out of the fight. If the damage leaves the character with 0 or fewer wounds, his free attack inflicts double damage. Antilles please roll a bite attack for me when this occurs.

Turn the tables: This will come into play if they flank me then attack
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 06:09:35 PM by Catodon »
"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1

Antilles

  • Mastermind
  • Control
  • *****
  • Posts: 3546
  • Do I look like a people person?
    • View Profile
Re: A Keg for Dragon [IC]
« Reply #172 on: January 23, 2012, 02:13:20 PM »
Alexander moves up and lands a solid blow on the orc, but unfortunately the blow simply glances off the orc's armor.

Vandarzryx's mighty roar causes the center orc to stop and have a bit a think about attacking a drake and his prospects for the future, but when he sees his two comrades charging on regardless he finds it in himself to follow suit. Seeking to punish the orc for his temerity, the drake lunges his neck forward attempting to snatch the orc and toss him about, but he aims a bit too high allowing the drake to duck and roll underneath the drake's lunge.

The dwarf runs up to the orc Alexander had injuried and with a rough O-motion strikes the calves of his feet so the orc lands straight on his back, lets the momentum carry the war hammer up into the air (and a bit too close to Alexander's face to his liking) and with a bone-cracking thud slams it down on the orc's chest. The blow cracks several ribs and knocks all the air out of the orc, who doesn't look like he'll be going anywhere soon.
"You've got good footwork, lad, but you've gotta follow through an' thump the bastards but good. No prices in fightin' for being the fanciest bastard on the field, so stick to killin' the other bastard 'fore he kills you, yeah?" The tone of his voice is half scolding/ribbing, and half instructional, almost like a veteran looking out for a rookie on his first field of battle.

As the other two orcs rush to aid their fallen leader, Ssryn bursts forth from behind the tree she had hidden herself and dives dagger first into one of the orcs. It's difficult to say who's more surprised, the orcs or the dwarf, but the winner is probably the orc who doesn't even get time to finish his last breath before he crumples to the ground stone dead.
The dwarf remarks to Alexander upon seeing this "Uuh, yeah, sorta like that, I s'ppose.... friend of yours, I hope?"

The final orc charging them clearly regards the naga as the more dangerous foe, and launches a furious attack against her. Both the orc's strikes hits true, but he must be unaccustomed to fighting scaled opponents, as the angles are off and the scales absorb most of the impact, turning what could have been serious blows into flesh wounds.

The orcs around the drake finish maneuvering, and are now surrounding him. Normally being surrounded by just 3 orcs wouldn't worry Vandarzryx, but he took quite a beating from the crash landing and the volley of arrows, so he'll have to be lucky to keep from any serious harm this time.
The first orc lunges for an area at his tail where the scales are weaker than most of his body, but the drake anticipated this and whips around at the last time, causing the blade to glance off the scales on his tail. Luckily the same movement completely throws off the second orc's attack, who completely misses striking the air where the drake's knee was just moments earlier. The last orc aims for the eye, but the drake sees him coming and effortlessly parries the blow with claws.

Lauren runs up to the orc attacking Ssryn and deliver a well-practiced blow to the side of the orc, who staggers and  bleeds a bit, but remains standing.

Spoiler
Alexander's blow glances off the DR.

orc literally cannot make the Resolve check, so he autofails that one. He takes a full 1d6=6 stress damage, and his save is 1d20+2=20 so he's solid.
The attack/shove misses.

dwarf attack roll 1d20+2=16, damage roll 1d12=10 subdual - 1DR so 9 total.
Orc 1-1 save 1d20+2=6 fails, and is knocked out.

Orc 1-2 is a standard without tough, so he dies as soon as the threat is confirmed.

Orc 1-3 attacks Ssryn, attack 1 1d20+3=22 hits, deals 1d8+1=5 lethal - 2DR is a total 3 damage.
attack 2 1d20+3=15, will spend AD 1d8=2 hits, damage 1d8+1=7 -2 DR is a total of 5 damage, 8 all in all.

orc 2-1 attack 1d20+3=8 misses
orc 2-2 attack 1d20+3=4 misses
orc 2-3 attack 1d20+3=11+ 2 from flanking that I forgot actually hits. Parry attempt (you only get one per round) 1d20+1=20 succeeds.

Lauren attack check (gets flanking bonus) 1d20+6=14 hits, damage roll
1d10+2=10 lethal - DR 1 is 9 damage. Damage save 1d20+2=18, succeds.

initiative
Alexander 14/13
Vandarzryx 1/24
Dwarf nicked
Ssryn 14/14
Orc 1-3 ok
Orc 2-1 ok
Orc 2-2 ok
Orc 2-3 ok
Lauren 24/16
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 02:16:12 PM by Antilles »
"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
Mortality clarified in a single strike!

Fiendbasher

  • Agent
  • ***
  • Posts: 199
  • Good ≠ Nice
    • View Profile
Re: A Keg for Dragon [IC]
« Reply #173 on: January 23, 2012, 08:35:59 PM »
Ssryn recoils from the orc's blows, gaping her fanged jaws and venting a low, reverberant growling hiss. Raising herself up until her head is at level with his, she then lashes forward to strike at his face... a move made more of spite than efficiency. As she gathers her tail in behind her, a ripple midway down its length grows into a wave that sends it whipping around to the front, where it should crash into the orc's legs should he still be standing...

Spoiler
No matter how I read it it looks like Lauren will go before me, so if she takes the orc out, just ignore all of this and I'll change my post. Ssryn will instead go to assist Vandarzryx in that case.

Half Action - Bite Attack: 1d20+2=14
Half Action - Trip: 1d20+10=22

"I knew you were going to say that..."

Catodon

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 1946
    • View Profile
    • Gulliver's Trading Company RPG
Re: A Keg for Dragon [IC]
« Reply #174 on: January 23, 2012, 10:58:50 PM »
Vandarzryx will be damned if he is going to fly  from these puny mammals. His serpentine neck arches, smoothly draws a bladder from his chest pack and swallows it.

Spoiler
Defence 12 this round
2xparry left
Don’t forget: Turn the tables

Two handle object half actions one to fish out the bladder the second to imbib the elixir of vitality.
This heals:
vitality elixir (2d6=4)
sod, that was my last one too.

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1

ludomastro

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 2016
    • View Profile
Re: A Keg for Dragon [IC]
« Reply #175 on: January 24, 2012, 09:35:47 PM »
Alexander smiles at the dwarf before stopping the chorus long enough to say, "I don't necessarily want them all dead.  Dead ones don't talk.  Besides, the dragon likes live meat."

With that he runs as quickly as possible through the dense foliage to reach the orcs encircling Vandarzryx .

You're probably going to think that I'm doing this out of a sense of devotion but since the orcs consider you a threat, then it is in our best interest to keep you alive.  Well, either way, you'll have help, you overgrown lizard.

Spoiler
Corrected per GM discussion.

Antilles

  • Mastermind
  • Control
  • *****
  • Posts: 3546
  • Do I look like a people person?
    • View Profile
Re: A Keg for Dragon [IC]
« Reply #176 on: January 28, 2012, 08:19:08 AM »
Alexander is confident that Ssryn will be able to handle herself, and runs up to assist Vandarzryx. He has to weave a bit to move around a fire, which worryingly is beginning to spread, but is focusing on ending the orc coming in front of him.

Vandarzryx snatches the potion bladder from his pack, tosses it up in front of him and snatches it up in one smooth move, crushing the bag and swallowing its contents. He can feel the worst bruises and swelling diminishing, though he's still feeling rather sore.
The trees Vandarzryx set on fire with his breath are now truly ablaze, and is slowly but surely beginning to spread.

The dwarf is a bit more uncertain about leaving the naga to fend for herself, though he eventually decides to follow Alexander and move towards the larger group of orcs.

Ssryn's fangs bite deep into the orc's neck, and the arterial spray when she removes her fang is sufficient to render the orc unconscious in moments, with death following shortly after. She then slithers menacingly towards the remaining orcs.

The orcs continue to attack Vandarzryx. The first orc's blows are completely blocked by the drake's claws, and while the second orc goes for the neck the drake snaps at him with his jaws. He gouges a chunk out of the orc's arm, unfortunately it wasn't his swordarm. The attack still puts the orc off balance, so one of the attacks misses and the other hits weaker than it would've, though hard enough to draw blood. Unfortunately for the orc, this puts him in the perfect position for the drake to snap at him. Vandarzryx doesn't quite get a good bite out of him, but still manage to gouge a chunck of the orc's neck out with one of his fangs. As the orc collapses in a shower of blood, the last orc presses the advantage while the drake is otherwise occupied and scores several deep and painful cuts on the drake's side and belly.

Lauren sees the wounds they are inflicting upon the drake, and hurries towards him while shifting her grip on the halberd so she can carry it with one hand, and pulls out the bag with the medical supplies with the other.

Spoiler

Forgot to roll for the fire spreading last turn, so I'll do both turns now: turn 1:4 trees, at damage 8, if I roll 8 or less the fire spreads.
1d20=14, 1d20=1, 1d20=16, 1d20=19. 1 fire begins to spread, 5 squares on fire. Fire worsens by 1d6=1 point. Round 2: 3 squares currently not spreading, at damage 9, if I roll 9 or less the fire begins to spread. url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3347679/]1d20=16, 1d20=11, 1d20=10[/url] None begin to spread, the fire last round continue to spread, 6 squares currently on fire, fire worsens by 1d6=1.

Ssryn hits the orc, does 1d8+1=5 lethal damage, the orc's damage save is 1d20+2=11 and is thus quite dead.

orc 2-1 attacks twice, with flanking bonus, 1d20+5=20, 1d20+5=13, both hit, parry attempt #1: 1d20+1=21, succeeds (you lucky bastard ;)), parry attempt #2 1d20+1=17 also succeeds.
Just as orc 2-2 attacks, Vandarzryx activates Turn the Tables and attacks him. attack check is 1d20+4=21 successful, damage is 1d10+2=11 - 3 DR equals 8 lethal, the orc's damage save is 1d20+2=18 so he's still standing.
orc 2-2 attacks twice, with flanking bonus, 1d20+5=24, 1d20+5=11, 1 hit. Damage roll 1d8+1=7 - 1DR is 6 lethal, depleting all of Vandarzryx's vitality and chipping away at his wounds. He also becomes fatigued.
Vandarzryx activates Retribution and makes a free attack against the orc:
1d20+1=17 hit, damage 1d10=4 - 3DR equals 1 lethal, orc damage save 1d20+2=14 fails and the orc is dead.
orc 2-3 attacks twice, with flanking bonus, 1d20+5=24, 1d20+5=21, both hit. damage rolls: 1d8+1=9, 1d8+1=9 (jeez, the dice's out to get you, Catodon :() - 2DR is a total of 14 lethal.
If you want to Retribute one of these, lemme know asap.

initiative
Alexander 14/13
Vandarzryx 0/9
Dwarf nicked
Ssryn 14/14
Orc 2-1 ok
Orc 2-2 hurt
Orc 2-3 ok
Lauren 24/16
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 07:44:39 AM by Antilles »
"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
Mortality clarified in a single strike!

Catodon

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 1946
    • View Profile
    • Gulliver's Trading Company RPG
Re: A Keg for Dragon [IC]
« Reply #177 on: January 28, 2012, 12:30:50 PM »
retribution
I'd like to use retribution on the second orc with a bite attack. Gotta catch a flight. Could you roll for me?
"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1

ludomastro

  • Control
  • ******
  • Posts: 2016
    • View Profile
Re: A Keg for Dragon [IC]
« Reply #178 on: January 28, 2012, 12:41:00 PM »
Seeing the big lizard hurt doesn't feel good but it's good for all of us if he remembers he's mortal too.

Alexander attempts to skewer one of the orcs through the family jewels.

Let's see him keep fighting after that!

He follows it up with a snake quick swing at the orc's legs trying to sweep him off his feet but the terrain prevents his stroke from landing true.

Spoiler
Stress Attack:
1d20+3 → [9,3] = (12)
Assuming it's a hit:
1d8+2 → [5,2] = (7)

Leg Sweep:
1d20+3 → [5,3] = (8 )
I'm assuming this is a miss.

Fiendbasher

  • Agent
  • ***
  • Posts: 199
  • Good ≠ Nice
    • View Profile
Re: A Keg for Dragon [IC]
« Reply #179 on: January 28, 2012, 03:56:16 PM »
Despite the satisfaction of felling the orc that injured her, the pungent taste of orc blood clinging to the roof of her mouth didn't do much to improve Ssryn's disposition. As she lashed her way through the trees and underbrush, she was forced to skirt around patches of leaping flame and avoid sliding over cinders... although her scutes protect her as well as the footwear of a more humanoid creature, she'd rather not have them burned all the same.

The gashes in her skin were infuriating enough as it was. It would be several sheddings before the scales grew back into their original symmetry and luster.

Upon reaching the orcs, she intended to make at least one more of them pay...

Spoiler
To take place whenever her next action is:

Half action - Knife attack: 1d20+4=10. +2 flanking bonus if her target doesn't turn around. If that misses, or doesn't take him down, she'll follow up with a Bite attack.

Half action - Bite: 1d20+2=4 No doubt that's a miss. Whiff...

Knife damage (if applicable): 1d6+4=8
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 08:46:26 AM by Fiendbasher »
"I knew you were going to say that..."