Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2014, 07:53:25 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Spycraft 2.0
| | |-+  Build questions for utter newb
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Build questions for utter newb  (Read 543 times)
el pinko grande
Crafty n00b

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2011, 11:58:53 AM »

Hey gents & ladies,

Our GM has just discovered Spycraft 2.0 and is going to be running a Cyberpunk game using it. I'm planning on building a Soldier 5/Counter-Terrorist 1 for it, but I've got a few questions:

In terms of builds, how necessary is specialization? I'm basically picturing the character being a CQB guy, and as a result I'm thinking of taking CQB Basics, Knife Basics, and one of the unarmed basics, just to make sure I've covered all my bases. How badly would I be gimping myself if I did that, as opposed to just loading up on CQB Basics/CQB Mastery and some complementary ranged feats? Are there any feats for such a build that are absolutely necessary?

How about stat allocation? Based on my reading of the combat system, it really seems like I pretty much need everything except for Charisma and maybe Intelligence. Beyond that, though, how should my stat allocation fall? I'm favoring Dex as my highest stat, but I'm not really sure where things should go after that.

Do any books besides the core have talents/specialties besides the core? Based on his background, my character would probably have the Rowdy talent, but I'm not liking the +2 Con/-2 Wis that talent grants.

Finally, and completely unrelated, as it's a Cyberpunk game, does anyone have any recommendations on good cyberware rules? My GM is planning on using these rules, but I was wondering if anyone had maybe pre-built cyberware using the gadget rules from Spycraft.

Thanks!
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 02:08:17 PM »

The first rule is there is no dump stat. Many skills rely on Intelligence or Charisma, about 75%.

Build as you see fit. There are a number of options you can go with as needed. It depends if you want to be a shooter or a close quarters guy. CQB Basics & Mastery never hurt to have but from there you should choose what you want to do.

The only other book would be World On Fire but almost all Talents have a +/- in the Stat department.

There are no pre-built cyberware rules.

Crusader Citadel

Living Spycraft Mastermind Council Member

Crafty For Life!
el pinko grande
Crafty n00b

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 04:21:29 PM »

Yeah, I don't believe in dump stats, anyway. I couldn't even bring myself to leave the characters Charisma at 10- I upped it to 12.

I was wondering, though, about the relative importance of stats at the upper end. Like, what should I prioritize after Dex? After a couple casual readings, it's hard for me to tell whether Strength, Constitution, and Wisdom all have about the same degree of utility, or if one ends up being more important than the others.
Desertpuma
Control

Highest Level LSpy Agent 16th, almost 17th

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 04:27:29 PM »

For a ranged firearm fighter, Strength is best for dealing with recoil ...Wisdom for spotting the target .. .Con is always good for Wounds

If you want to grapple, have a high Athletics skill with Strength & Con to boot

Crusader Citadel

Living Spycraft Mastermind Council Member

Crafty For Life!
Aldus Vertten
Handler

Los Otros Planes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 05:04:10 AM »

Also, take a look at this

http://www.crafty-games.com/forum/index.php?topic=646.0

I think there're more cyberpunk related stuff around the forum. Play a little bt with the search engine and probabl will find something else...

"No queda sino batirnos"
-------------
-El Capitan Alatriste
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: