Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 28, 2014, 01:54:58 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Play-by-Post
| | |-+  [Interest Check]OSF: A Keg for Dragon
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: [Interest Check]OSF: A Keg for Dragon  (Read 3685 times)
Antilles
Mastermind
Control

Do I look like a people person?

View Profile
« on: September 10, 2011, 06:23:40 PM »

I've recently moved to a different city due to a change in jobs, and had to leave my long-time RPG group behind. Now, the last couple of months before I moved I had tried my hand at GM'ing, and that's something I feel I should keep working on, and rather than try and rustle up some rednecks where I live I thought I'd give PbP a go.

So, if you've no problems playing with a fairly novice GM (less than two dozen sessions, and less than half of those Fantasy Craft, none PbP) and is interested in trying out the Old School Fantasy adventure A Keg for Dragon, do speak up.

Still finalizing details and such, but right now the plan is to run A Keg for Dragon, running it a bit fast and loose setting-wise, with the option that if I don't do too horribly as a GM, I might keep going with the other OSF adventures and possibly hash out something resembling a setting in the process. Questions/suggestions very welcome.

"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
foproy
Control

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 06:45:38 PM »

i would be interested.

Jesus loves you, he died for your sins. Protoman hates you, he died for them twice. - Anonymous
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 07:24:29 PM »

Please count me as interested.

foproy
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 07:29:49 PM »

also what books will be allowed, and any idea on campaign qualities, and starting levels?

Jesus loves you, he died for your sins. Protoman hates you, he died for them twice. - Anonymous
ArawnNox
Handler

GM in Training

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 08:47:32 PM »

I'm already participating in a handful of games, but if you someone to fill an empty space, I'd be interested.

Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid.
"A great GM knows how to make sure everyone has fun, and great players know the same." --Patrick Kapera
Arawn's Art: http://arawnnox.deviantart.com
Fiendbasher
Agent

Good ≠ Nice

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 11:13:33 PM »

I'd love to give it a try, i always show up too late to join one of these.  Tongue

"I knew you were going to say that..."
Krensky
Control

WWTWD?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 11:35:44 PM »

Always up to be a player rather then a GM.

We can lick gravity, but sometimes the paperwork is overwhelming. - Werner von Braun
Right now you have no idea how lucky you are that I am not a sociopath. - A sign seen above my desk.
There's no upside in screwing with things you can't explain. - Captain Roy Montgomery
Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 01:12:59 AM »

Me too if there is room.

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2011, 05:47:45 AM »

I'm interested.

VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
Antilles
Mastermind
Control

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 06:08:56 AM »

Was thinking 4 or 5 players, so it looks like someone'll have to be in the reserves. I'll pick based purely on personal whim and/or whimsy, so make some interesting characters.

We'll be keeping it simple when it comes to campaign qualities, with Sorcery, Miracles, Fast Feats and Luck Abounds, and with the characters starting at level 2. Just for shits and giggles I'll pretty much allow all character options, up to and including the Spellbound Preview.

- Aesop
Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 06:47:55 AM »

Vandarzryx the Drake

“The first few decades after leaving the nest are the most dangerous for a dragon. Not yet at full size, wandering in search of a territory, trying to amass a hoard and without the protection of parents. A young drake faces monsters, other predators, and most dangerous of all organised soldiers; be they human, orc, or other folk.
Through my great insight I saw an unusual solution: rather than stake a claim on land then have to struggle with folk rulers and their armies I have decided offer my services to folk rulers. Most barons ignored my offers of council and put me to war. War among the weaker species is unlike the might duels of drakes. At first I was horrified by the carnage, but overtime I have become hardened to the reality of war. I came to see war as a puzzle, the strangeness of folk their politics and history so different to that of solitary dragons, the folk their conflicts and reasons for war so endlessly fascinating. Among the folk war is terrible but there are often noble reasons for participating in the carnage.”

Drake Fighter Sage
Vandarzryx is facinated by warfare among the folk its history, tactics, and application.
He has the instincts of a solitary hunter, the same niche filled by panthers and hawks, quite unlike social species such as the various folk. He is patronising in his fascination with folk cultures and warfare; an interested outsider looking in. While ‘good’ he would exemplify the dragon virtues and vices: sense of majesty, vanity, independence, aloofness, protectiveness, territorialism, appreciation, and avarice.

The basic build is a minion smasher. Sage stuff helps his team vs multiple foes and feats and other options mimic soldier stuff and are focused on more attacks/targets. He lacks the high damage or toughness to deal with arch-villains. A fantasy mix of an army General and an attack helicopter Wink

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
Antilles
Mastermind
Control

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 08:46:36 AM »

A good start Catodon, you just gotta figure out why he joined a band of other, presumably non-drake indivduals for adventure and the occasional heroics.

- Aesop
glimmerrat
Control

Iconoclast

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2011, 11:11:07 AM »

Uh... what's the setting like? Generic fantasy?

I'm thinking a Human Mage

VAO Control; Crafty Freelancer; Freethinker

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
ArawnNox
Handler

GM in Training

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2011, 02:17:52 PM »

I'll wait until you've decided on players.
No sense in working on a Character if I end up on the waiting list. Smiley

Wizard's First Rule: People are stupid.
"A great GM knows how to make sure everyone has fun, and great players know the same." --Patrick Kapera
Arawn's Art: http://arawnnox.deviantart.com
Antilles
Mastermind
Control

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2011, 02:31:08 PM »

Right now the setting's very fuzzy, and I'm not particularly inclined to start world-building for what might be a one-off. That means for now, assume generic fantasy and you're free to make up whatever you want about just about everything in the setting. If I feel like continuing with the other adventures, I'll let people adjust their characters a great deal, which would include more detailed background/interests, like going from Study: Dwarves to Study: Dwarven Empire. Likewise, we'll keep languages simple, every species has one and it's named after that species. So for now, keep it fairly generic fantasy.

Human Mage is fine, you could also give the conjuror or reaper a go if you so fancied.

Also Catodon, reading ahead with a mind towards drakes there's one or two potential issues popping up... size being one of them. There will be indoors and underground bits, that could well be a bit too small for a drake. Now I don't mind nudging the numbers a bit, making the important areas big enough to give you some room to maneuver, but there will be parts where you'll have to squeeze, and some where you just plain don't fit. There's also the bit where drakes are cold-blooded, and you're all heading to the northlands in fall. Now I'm not saying you'll be hit from the word go by lots of cold damage, but it's something you'll have to work out eventually.

ArawnNox, I'll be picking based on which characters I like the best, not which posters I like the best Wink. Now, you don't need to fully stat out a character right away, a summary like Catodon's, with both background and build summary should do.

- Aesop
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: