Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 02, 2014, 02:43:54 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Play-by-Post
| | |-+  Rising Unrest [OOC]
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rising Unrest [OOC]  (Read 8121 times)
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2011, 01:51:09 PM »

Thank you to those that have posted IC.  I want to give everyone some time to introduce their characters before we continue with the day.  However, I will keep IC going for those that have/are posting.

If I don't see any other IC posts by tomorrow afternoon (~ 1800 hours, Pacific DST, Wednesday) then I will proceed.

I don't think anyone needs anything from me right now; however, if you are waiting on me, please PM me to keep me honest.

jameswllorimer
Agent

"Alea iacta est" - The die is cast

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2011, 04:16:10 AM »

A couple of things:

1) I know we are language tagging at the start of every bit of text, and I presume Catela is the "Common" of this world so everyone will have it. @Ludomastro (with thoughts from others) Do you want us to make up our language sections for languages only a couple of us may speak as you did initially with [Ateso]. My thought is that if my character doesn't speak that language, I won't open the spoiler tag. Was that the original intent?

2)I like writing "fluff" to help flesh out characters and worlds etc.. and have a tendency to come up with terms that might not always be obvious (e.g. Risings in my character description was meant to equate to Year). If I go a bit too far and things become confusing, please reign me!

3)Lastly whilst various religions/faiths/beliefs exist in the world; like our world I reckon there will be different views on how to practice them, hence the differing terms use in my last post.

Cheers

James / Ryar'Bett
Wolverine
Control

I want to smoke a fairy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2011, 06:06:12 AM »

(click to show/hide)

I'm not quite finished putting Halsten together, will get on to that tomorrow.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 05:29:58 AM by Wolverine » Logged

"Dickhead books?"
 -Patrick Kapera wrestling with the New Zealand accent
Dhampire
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2011, 01:14:46 PM »

I'm still putting together my character sheet as well.

Also, It will be after 1800 PDT before I have time to post anything IC, though I should have time by 0200 PDT.

(click to show/hide)

I aim to misbehave.
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2011, 09:22:36 PM »

1) Catela is not exactly the "Common" of this world.  (Partly because that conceit bothers the hell out of me.)  However, it is functionally the language of everyday life in the Union of Free Cities, much like English in the USA.  At the borders, you may see other languages becoming more common (if not dominant), much like Spanish in the border regions of the USA.

You are welcome to make up your language sections if only a few of you speak them; however, it is certainly not required.  You could literally insert "blah" for the spoken portion and include the real text in the spoiler box.  However, I will defer to the group on this as it could get more complicated than we want/need.

For the interested, Ateso is actually Esperanto - or at least my attempt to write a language I am still learning.

2) I will reign you in if necessary; however, I enjoy player created "fluff" as I can't think of everything.  I also feel that it adds depth and verisimilitude to the world.

3) Yes, the various religions/faiths/beliefs do have differing views on how to practice them.  At present, there are no schisms that rise to the level of Catholics and Protestants in the Middle Ages.  (i.e. No one is killing over faith ... yet.)

@ Wolverine and Dhampire
Understood.  Please post when able.  Let me know if you need anything.  Don't forget about Luck Abounds which has bumped AD up to d6's.

Dhampire
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2011, 09:51:53 PM »

All,

Despite my desire to play with you all, my time for the forum here looks to be sparse and irregular for the next two months.

Therefore, I am bowing out.  I wish you all the best, and will be watching from the sidelines.

I am sorry for any inconvenience I have caused.

I aim to misbehave.
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2011, 10:24:51 PM »

No inconvenience caused.

jameswllorimer
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2011, 12:49:08 AM »

1) Catela is not exactly the "Common" of this world.  (Partly because that conceit bothers the hell out of me.)  However, it is functionally the language of everyday life in the Union of Free Cities, much like English in the USA.  At the borders, you may see other languages becoming more common (if not dominant), much like Spanish in the border regions of the USA.

You are welcome to make up your language sections if only a few of you speak them; however, it is certainly not required.  You could literally insert "blah" for the spoken portion and include the real text in the spoiler box.  However, I will defer to the group on this as it could get more complicated than we want/need.

For the interested, Ateso is actually Esperanto - or at least my attempt to write a language I am still learning.

That's good to know - I'll proceed as planned... and yes the Esperanto thing is quite interesting!

@ Wolverine and Dhampire
Understood.  Please post when able.  Let me know if you need anything.  Don't forget about Luck Abounds which has bumped AD up to d6's.

Don't forget the Fragile Heroes one as well... I'm sure I'm going to die in the first combat through sheer lack of vitality!
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2011, 01:38:19 AM »

@ Wolverine and Dhampire

Don't forget the Fragile Heroes one as well... I'm sure I'm going to die in the first combat through sheer lack of vitality!

Nah, you won't die in the first combat.  I think you are scripted to die in the second one.  Grin

I moved us forward on the IC post.  Please continue to chime in as you become available.

Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2011, 06:10:43 AM »

Here is my gnome. There are still some fluff needs writing and the whole thing needs a polish but the game stats are set so I'll just edit the fluff later rather than hold off any longer.
EDIT: replaced with polished version. Note that for the moment Brindlglibs inventions are very modest mostly because he needs more funds and so... adventure!

Brindlglib Nibstitch: Gnome Artisan Keeper 3
An average gnome: 2’2” tall, about 7.5 pounds, Eyes: green, Hair: trimmed, thick, wavy and white.
Small Folk with reach 1.

Brindlglib’s trimmed white hair and beard frame emerald green eyes and large expressive features. Pointed ears poke out from his hair. His nose is large like others of his race. Others in the warren exchange knowing looks when they see him and Gondardril the Warrenmiester together. To humans the gnome looks about 35, despite the white hair, but he is much older than that. At work his fast hands flit about stitching, hammering, and painting with speed and precision. He dresses much as a gentleman might as he moves in the some of the same circles as potential patrons and because he can afford to dress well. Brocade, carved buttons, and small embroidered details add a certain flair to his appearance. As far as he knows however he is not an aristocrat and real nobles easily determine that he is not ‘one of them’ from the slightly cheaper cut of his clothes etc. He wears glasses because he is a smidge short sighted, not enough to impede adventuring activities.
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 12:47:00 AM by Catodon » Logged

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2011, 10:19:48 PM »

@Catodon
Couple of things on the character sheet:
Vitality should be 9 due to Fragile Heroes campaign quality.
Action Dice should be 3d6 due to Luck Abounds campaign quality.

HOW do you pronounce Brindlglib?  I assume something like Brindle-glib and while it may not matter for a written game, I'm very curious.

A note on languages in case I misrepresented something earlier:
The Dida dialect of Dagral is (nominally) a dwarven language.  The dwarves are in the west in/on/under the Grey Mountains while the Razor Spine mountains are in the east.  Heraro grew out of Dida but is now it is a separate language and would be more commonly spoken in the Union.

However, all that aside, I am fine with him speaking Dida and being from the east.  I'll just have to think of a reason why that would be.

Yes, your assumption (from the IC thread) that this is an armed society where gentlemen carry light swords is correct.  While *everywhere* might be a stretch, it wouldn't be a far one.  Your cafe example is fine but meeting with an Assemblyman while armed would be a no-go.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 10:22:32 PM by ludomastro » Logged

ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2011, 10:36:53 PM »

@ All
Several of you have asked via PM about magic items.  Here at the beginning of your adventures, I am not allowing magical items.  However, we will quickly get here if that is your desire.

If you would prefer to have a rank of Renown or a Holding, be my guest. Please pay the appropriate Reputation cost and you're all set.

---~~---

In other news, Dhampire has bowed out due to work and lastknight1973 is considering doing the same.

Therefore our line-up looks like this:
Antilles - James - mage hunter
Reverandboo - Tevish - mage (oh, how I love fireworks)
jameswllorimer - Ryar'Bett - saurian scout
Catodon - Brindlglib - pech artisan
Wolverine - Halsten - burglar

I'm good with proceeding with the group as is.  I'm going to wait until tomorrow on the IC posts because I know that Wolverine is in New Zealand.  Given the time difference, he may well post while we are sleeping.

jameswllorimer
Agent

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2011, 05:31:03 AM »

Which online dice roller are we using out of interest?

And is there a preference on tense for posting in - I'm guessing 1st person present.. but don't mind.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 05:37:22 AM by jameswllorimer » Logged
Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2011, 05:53:12 AM »

@Catodon
Couple of things on the character sheet:
Vitality should be 9 due to Fragile Heroes campaign quality.
Action Dice should be 3d6 due to Luck Abounds campaign quality.

HOW do you pronounce Brindlglib?  I assume something like Brindle-glib and while it may not matter for a written game, I'm very curious.

A note on languages in case I misrepresented something earlier:
The Dida dialect of Dagral is (nominally) a dwarven language.  The dwarves are in the west in/on/under the Grey Mountains while the Razor Spine mountains are in the east.  Heraro grew out of Dida but is now it is a separate language and would be more commonly spoken in the Union.

However, all that aside, I am fine with him speaking Dida and being from the east.  I'll just have to think of a reason why that would be.

Yes, your assumption (from the IC thread) that this is an armed society where gentlemen carry light swords is correct.  While *everywhere* might be a stretch, it wouldn't be a far one.  Your cafe example is fine but meeting with an Assemblyman while armed would be a no-go.

I have adjust my .doc version of my character sheet and will edit the online version (probably in the morning).
You are correct Brindlglib is pronounced like Brindle-glib but faster.

Why Dida? A little act of rebellion. Gnomes are not halflings nor are they dwarves. They are a fantasy race with thier own presence in our culture and in games. Why Dida in particular well gnomes are kinda dwarvish, what with the beards, and Dida sounds like a happy dialect to go with the sunny disposition of gnomes. Anyway now I've had my little protest what do gnomes speak in your world?

Similarly, I want to move his home to the foothils of the Grey Mountains.

My gnome is based on my vision of this people if there is anything 'out of whack' let me know I am eager to maintain the integrity of your world.

For the curious one of my favourite gnome resources is the old AD&D Complete Book of Gnomes and Halflings. I imagine gnomes much like how they are described in that book.

I'm in Australia, (waves to Wolverine across our local ditch).

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2011, 10:33:52 PM »

@ jameswllorimer
Use whatever dice roller you like.  If you can be honest with yourself, you can roll a d20 on top of your keyboard and I'm fine with that.  If you feel the need to use a particular web-based roller, I'm partial to Invisible Castle.

As far as tense goes, I'm most comfortable with 1st person present.  I'm not going to demand you stick with that.

---~~---

@ Catodon

First off, if I offended you, please accept my apologies.  Brindlglib's background was different from my expectations of a gnome.  In general, I assume that if something is different from my expectations then I haven't done a good job explaining things OR a good job listening.  While I do NOT want to step on player creativity, I reserve the right to ensure it fits into the overall world envelope.

... what do gnomes speak in your world?

In all seriousness, whatever the people who raised them speak/spoke.  I prefer a small dose of realism in my games; therefore, a human growing up herding jackalopes on the plains of the northwestern Union may well speak Najafo his whole life and never realize city-folk think only orcs speak it.

Similarly, I want to move his home to the foothils of the Grey Mountains.

Sounds great!  (I pictured the Dida dialect as being there in my head.)

My gnome is based on my vision of this people if there is anything 'out of whack' let me know I am eager to maintain the integrity of your world.

For the curious one of my favourite gnome resources is the old AD&D Complete Book of Gnomes and Halflings. I imagine gnomes much like how they are described in that book.

Don't have that book so there may be times when something strikes me as odd.  If that happens, I look forward to resolving it in a way that satisfies both of us and that adds color to the world at the same time.

Happy gaming.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 10:59:11 PM by ludomastro » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: