Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 28, 2014, 01:30:14 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Play-by-Post
| | |-+  Rising Unrest [OOC]
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rising Unrest [OOC]  (Read 7801 times)
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2011, 02:06:49 AM »

This is the OOC thread for Rising Unrest.  Please put any off topic chatter, OOC discussions, etc. here.

Here is the link to the IC thread.

As a habit I picked up on other forums, I store all the relevant information for the campaign here in the OOC thread as well.

Table of Contents
Setting Thumbnail
Useful Species Background Information
Magic
Faiths/Alignments/and all that goes with them.
Languages

Riverton

Game Mechanics (Qualities, Allowed Species, Banned Feats, etc.)
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 09:32:20 PM by ludomastro » Logged

ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 02:07:12 AM »

Setting Thumbnail
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 09:36:30 PM by ludomastro » Logged

ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 02:07:44 AM »

Useful Species Background Information
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 09:36:48 PM by ludomastro » Logged

ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 02:13:25 AM »

Magic
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 09:37:05 PM by ludomastro » Logged

ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 02:16:16 AM »

Faiths/Alignments/and all that goes with them.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 09:37:22 PM by ludomastro » Logged

ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 02:16:59 AM »

Languages
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 09:37:35 PM by ludomastro » Logged

ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2011, 02:32:11 AM »

Riverton

Riverton sits on a horseshoe bend in the Green River about two days up-river of Goodharbor - a port on the Southern Sea.  The Green is a massive river - measuring some 60 chains wide in most places.  The situation with the horseshoe bend has allowed Riverton to reap the benefits that would normally come from both a lake and a flowing moat.

Engineers from all over the Union of Free Cities have been employed over the years and have constructed what is now regarded as a high point in hydro-technology.  There is an artificial channel with locks that functionally creates an island of Riverton.  The benefit of all this technology (aside from the security it brings the powerful) is to allow deeper draft ships to pass through the river.  The bend also provides for a convenient dock system for smaller ships starting from, ending or stopping in Riverton for a time.

The city is primarily broken up into five wards.  The docks contain the warehouses and sit next to the factories.  Both humans and some few machines turn out products.  The commercial section contains businesses large and small.  (The smaller shops often double as homes for their owners.)  The residential section is the smallest but is home to the most powerful in the city.  Former nobility, aristocracy and merchants call this area home.  Some of the estates are larger than some blocks elsewhere in the city.  The last ward is home to temples and the arena which holds various games throughout the week.  The favorite is probably, the horse race which is held on the eighth day of the week.

While the city is officially a republic, only those who own land (or who have enough money) are considered citizens and thus have a right to vote.  Consequently, the Assembly is basically a club for the previously wealthy and the new wealthy.  That said, laws are rarely passed that create too many waves.

Food comes from the surrounding communities which are under the protection of the City Watch.  The City Watch is under the command of William "Thorn" Ashland.  He is often seen as the people's champion and though his citizenship is due more to his post than his family, his voice carries loudly with the public.  The Assembly knows it ignores him at its own peril.  When the previous president of the Assembly secretly backed a slave operation - contrary to the very laws he helped pass- he discovered why William is known as the "Thorn."  The very public execution was well attended in the arena.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 09:38:42 PM by ludomastro » Logged

ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 09:39:36 PM »

OK, were finally getting started.  Please place your character sheets (or the forum equivalent) here.

Why each of you are traveling with the caravan is up to you.  If you haven't met previously, you will have met by the time we start.

Please let me know if there is anything that I need to do and/or add.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 09:43:38 PM by ludomastro » Logged

Wolverine
Control

I want to smoke a fairy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 01:41:48 AM »

I like the story.  One thought/clarification, though.  Was his family well off / wealthy?  Since engines are just becoming available they are still cutting edge (arguably, bleeding edge) technology, they are expensive.  Could the salesmen have been something of a con man?  Perhaps, getting his parents to sign a contract to use the tractor but expecting huge payments at each harvest?

Yep, that's pretty much it. Most of the story was written around 0300, so it's a little fuzzy around the edges.

"Dickhead books?"
 -Patrick Kapera wrestling with the New Zealand accent
Antilles
Mastermind
Control

Do I look like a people person?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 09:37:59 AM »

(click to show/hide)

"Never assume when it comes to mages, or you'll end up as Jadehammer, Windswords or the Andari." How fitting that about the only place left you'll hear of my family is in a saying, warning of the dangers mages can pose. And why not? With a single curse, we went from a well-respected and influential human family in the empire, our members amongst the highest ranking non-humans in the military, to pariahs and outcasts in a single generation. Every new generation saw further diminishing of the family, both in resources and numbers, until today, where only I am left.

Every one before me tried to break the curse somehow, or try to repair the damage already done. Fat lot of good that did them. The only way to end the curse is to end the family line, and I might as well do that. I've nothing to pass on to any future generations, save this damned curse, so why do it? No, I've found a different path to follow. After my mother's funeral, a man approached me. Said he represented a group dedicated to watching mages in case they go bad, and training select individuals how to stop them when they go bad. Apparently they felt my history made me very well suited for such a job. I of course accepted.

Ever stop to think how hard it is to fight a mage when you have no magical powers yourself? They certainly had. I can't say the four years of training that followed was anything less than grueling, but now they've deemed me ready. They've sent me to this city, Riverton, to keep an eye on the mages in the area. They even set me up with a small apartment, how nice of them.

I've been here almost two weeks now, mostly meeting with friends and informants of this group I'm working for. Now I gotta head out to this mining town out west, for a meet and greet with the local representative. Should be just a routine trip...

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 01:19:19 AM by Antilles » Logged

"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
Reverandboo
Recruit

Mt dew, starbursts, chips, Mt dew

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 02:30:33 PM »

Couple last things to hash out with GM man but here he is for the most part
spells awaiting GM approval

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 03:30:06 PM by Reverandboo » Logged

Ethical axioms are found and tested not very differently from the axioms of science. Truth is what stands the test of experience.
-Albert Einstein
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 07:18:28 PM »

Quote from: Reverandboo
Couple last things to hash out with GM man but ...

Yes, how can I help?

Antilles
Mastermind
Control

Do I look like a people person?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 10:34:01 AM »

Questions:

My backers, how well known are they? Can I out and out say "I work for X" or is it entirely on the down low?

I'm assuming they have a supplies wagon or something to fetch the foodstuffs from? Or is he expecting me to hare off into the forest looking for wild mint and tomatoes?

"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 01:54:14 PM »

Within the Hills of the Emerald Dawn, the Brotherhood (or inset better name here - I'm at work and the sheer techincal nature of my work is dampening my creativity) is known but not well known.  Outside the Hills, it probably isn't known at all.  Not a secret though.

Yes there is a food wagon.  No he doesn't expect you to strike out into the forest unless you enjoy it.  Magdar is always asking if anyone wants to go hunting.

jameswllorimer
Agent

"Alea iacta est" - The die is cast

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 05:46:46 PM »

Ok so I'll probably edit and re-edit this until I've ironed out the kinks but here goes!

" 'I am far from my clan-home, but my duty never wanes.' These are the words that are taught to all who step foot in the Other-lands, the words above the halls of the Clan-Wardens. They have been chorused together since the first Rising of the Flame, and have stood the test of time.

But now time is measured by a different beat.

Clutchlings are becoming harder to nurture from their shell-break. Whole layings are wiping themselves out before their Reasoning, with unbound ferocity heard of only in the oldest tales.

My name is Ryar'Bett, first shell-breaker of the last Full-Clutch in living memory and shell-broken with the gift of the Dark Mouth.  I have served Clan Zh'Orack for these last 15 Risings, my duty as a Warden to the Clan-Home being above all other needs. As the only Full-Clutch Mouther some consider me a person to watch, perhaps even an omen of some kind; for me  this is a folly. I have been merely gifted something from the Clan to use in its service.There is nothing but the Clan and its life. A life that must endure. For that, and that alone I have paused in my duty and ventured into the Outer. There I will search and must find the key to our survival."

(click to show/hide)

If anyone spots anything amiss please let me know!
EDIT: Missed the Swamp Clutch  and Hurled Basics benefits.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 02:58:33 AM by jameswllorimer » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: