Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 18, 2014, 02:43:17 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Products
| |-+  Spycraft 2.0
| | |-+  Need help with Guidelines of espionage/tradecraft
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Need help with Guidelines of espionage/tradecraft  (Read 531 times)
tfwfh
Operative

View Profile
« on: August 16, 2011, 04:52:42 PM »

I'm going to be starting up a spycraft campaign in the next few weeks, and I need a little help.  The last time I did much of anything espionage related was probably 7 years ago, and at the time I had found somewhere a sort of primer or guide on tradecraft, but now I'm having trouble finding it again.  I think it was on http://www.modus-operandi.co.uk/, but it's been a long time and my memory is fuzzy.  And even if I was sure, MO is radically different than it used to be anyway.  So, I'm hoping someone here knows what I'm talking about and knows where to find it or maybe even has a copy themselves.

If I'm remembering correctly, the guide itself was in a list format, and it gave some guidelines on when to fight and why, when to run and why, when to talk and why, when to listen and why, and so on.  I remember at the time I thought it was a good introduction to the whole concept of espionage when most players are coming at from a DnD mindset where you usually just break down doors and kill monsters without concern for subtlety or information control.  It also gave an explanation for why characters shouldn't just constantly be going to the media and/or police to expose their enemies.

In case this helps, I do remember one of the entries somewhat clearly.  It's something along the lines of:
  • You can't fight local law enforcement.  If you find yourself in a potential conflict with them, your only options are to escape or surrender before the situation gets out of hand.

If anyone knows what I'm talking about, thanks in advance for any help you might be able to give.  If not, then don't mind me, I'm probably just crazy.

Who's the more foolish, the fool or tfwfh?
Coyote0273
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 08:50:04 PM »

If you have the World on Fire book, its got an entire chapter devoted to Tradecraft, and some of the "rules" of the "Game". Been a while since I read it, but I remember thinking it'd be useful reading for my hack'n'slash players when was running my first game of Spycraft.
tfwfh
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 11:43:00 PM »

I may have to break down and get that.  Are there any other suggestions for where I should look?

Who's the more foolish, the fool or tfwfh?
Coyote0273
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 03:57:22 PM »

Aside from some research on the web into the various RL agencies and their reported methods/operations, I can't think of much else. There are a number of other RPGs that cover the genre, but they might not fit what you're looking for.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: