Back to Crafty Games Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 28, 2014, 12:08:14 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Welcome to the Crafty Games Forums!

Note to New Members: To combat spam, we have instituted new rules: you must post 5 replies to existing threads before you can create new threads.

+  Crafty Games Forum
|-+  Community
| |-+  Play-by-Post
| | |-+  [Recruiting] Rising Unrest
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: [Recruiting] Rising Unrest  (Read 2440 times)
Antilles
Mastermind
Control

Do I look like a people person?

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2011, 04:28:17 PM »

Fair enough, just means I'll have to forgo Master's Art, as Haze Mastery is kinda essential for 'anti-mage' duty.

Anyways, here's the essentials of my character done, I'll update this post as I finish it.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 07:58:11 PM by Antilles » Logged

"After all is said and done, more is said than done."
- Aesop
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2011, 06:19:31 PM »

Languages

Antilles post reminded me that I haven't put up any of the languages.  The language names are in italics while any game notes are in [brackets].

Ateso - The original language of the folk along the plains was mainly spoken by pech and humans.  It has basically died out; however, there are a few speakers still left and many scribes learn it in order to translate old documents.  It uses a completely different script than the other known languages.
[As a dead language it requires 1 interest to speak it and another (2 total) to read and write it.]

Dagral - The official language of the dwarven empire, though it has fractured into various dialects.  While technically still the same language, it can be difficult if not impossible to understand someone using an isolated dialect.  All are written in the same interlocking patterns of symbols.  Called "tiles", these symbols convey multiple meanings and sentences are constructed by arranging the tiles around a central tile which corresponds to the core idea.
[A dialect MUST be specified when taking this language.  They include Dagral, Dalua, Dare, Da'ul, Demila and Dida.  A comprehension penalty may be imposed if the dialects are sufficiently different.]

Heraro - The language of the Hills of the Emerald Dawn.  It grew out of the Dida dialect of Dagral but was influenced by the folk of the plains as well as the orcs.  It is written with a set of ornate runes that roughly correspond to sounds.

Catela - Originally a pidgin of Ateso and Dagral, it developed when the dwarven raiders stopped attacking the coastal cities and started trading nearly 1000 years ago.  As more and more folk along the ocean shore and rivers spoke it for trade, their children began to speak it as a first tongue and it ultimately developed into the language as it is known today.  It uses a simplified version of the Heraro runes for writing.

Andori - The language of Andora.  The script appears little more than picture full of nonsensical lines and dots; however, it can carry a great deal of information.  Often there is more than one message hidden in the "picture."  Consequently, many who need codes have borrowed heavily from this language.

Silba - A language composed completely of whistles used mainly by the giants of the Razor's Spine for long distance communication.  It has no written form.  However, some scientists interested in the language have tried using Andori or Catela to record it.  Unfortunately, few such projects have made much headway.

Xhosra - The language of the holy scriptures of The Lord of the Purifying Flame.  It serves as the language of everyday life among the inhabitant of the Catama desert, regardless of their beliefs.  All adherents to the faith are expected to learn the language so as to read the scriptures in their correct tongue rather than crude translations.  It is written with a flowing script and is often used in art.

Najafo - Known as the language of orcs it is often spoken by ogres as well as a few pech in the northwestern plains.  It has a musical quality and the tone and timing of each word is important.  It is written with intricate characters that flow down the page.  Though many think that it is a pictographic language it is not.  Some simple words may well be expressed with a character that looks like an abstract painting of the word; however, most words are made up of multiple characters.  And, if taken individually, would have nothing to do with the word being expressed.

Dhampire
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2011, 09:36:03 PM »

Well, unfortunately, none of the Alignments is screaming "play a Priest" to me.  I had hoped that would narrow things down.  Still, I've had time to distill my ideas down to my top three.  Whichever of these works best for the group (and what you've planned), will be fine.

Industrious Aristocrat Courtier / Assassin

A fourth son or maybe a bastard of a noble house.  Raised in the 'proper' ways, but expected to set them aside for more practical considerations, if they should occur.  Showing some initiative, he organizes a group to look into a matter his House would like seen to, but with which they do not want to be directly associated.
(Inspirations are Jon Snow & Little Finger from A Game of Thrones.)
Planned weapon: Bow

Methodical / Adventurer Bard Explorer / Scout

A storyteller, looking to strike out on his own and see more of the world, while not being reckless in the process.

Cunning Barbarian Captain / Scout / Soldier

I'll be blunt.  It's Conan with elements of Obi Wan sans magic.

I hate to get kinda meta, but...
Definitely, having Deadly Combat, Hewn Limbs, and Fragile Heroes makes me think we should NOT be seeking out a fight.  However, Fragile only halves class bonus, making Tenacious Spirit & Con quite ideal, IF combat is something we should plan on and we think we need another in that vein.

I aim to misbehave.
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2011, 10:25:35 PM »

@ Dhampire
I'm sorry to hear that none of the alignments tickled your fancy; however, your character is probably in the majority.  That is to say, un-aligned.

I understand your concerns about combat with those qualities and that's kind of the point.  I want players to think before whipping out the longsword and those three tend to form a trifecta that stopp unnecessary violence, cause people to think of alternate solutions and that stop people from developing a reputation of take no prisoners.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 10:38:41 PM by ludomastro » Logged

Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2011, 05:54:44 AM »

Era?
Are we industrial (there isn't much canon support for that era) or Reason? Could easily be a late reason setting that makes even more use of technology than our own reason era. industrial Steam engines for example are found as early as the late 17th century, its just that they became 'safe' and then common in our victorian era.

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2011, 11:01:28 AM »

@ Catodon
Yes, the era is formally Reason but functionally on the edge of Industrial when compared to our own history.

Reverandboo
Recruit

Mt dew, starbursts, chips, Mt dew

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2011, 12:47:03 PM »

excellent............... Evil (does best  Mr. Burns impression) i loves me some steampunk

Ethical axioms are found and tested not very differently from the axioms of science. Truth is what stands the test of experience.
-Albert Einstein
Catodon
Control

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2011, 03:15:04 PM »

excellent............... Evil (does best  Mr. Burns impression) i loves me some steampunk

The last days of Reason the cutting edge technology was clockwork. Hmmm, Clockpunk?

"I just do eyes"
Author of Gulliver's Trading Company and the map of the world of Gullivers travels:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/84956575/Gullivers-Trading-Co-Grub
http://browse.deviantart.com/#/art/Gulliver-s-Travels-World-Map-294804331?hf=1
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2011, 08:09:59 PM »

To be clear, while the Era is reason, there are working steam engines.  Some amount of steampunk will make it into the game.  But don't go looking for a difference engine in this setting.

Reminder, I would like to get some form of character sketch by tomorrow evening.  Let's say 1800 hours Pacific DST.

Dhampire
Operative

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2011, 08:15:01 PM »

Reminder, I would like to get some form of character sketch by tomorrow evening.  Let's say 1800 hours Pacific DST.

I would like a thumbnail sketch of your character concept.

How much more are you looking for than what has been given by each player?

I aim to misbehave.
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2011, 08:35:30 PM »

@Dhampire

From you and the others who have responded previously, nothing.  I'm going to hold the door open until tomorrow for anyone who wants to join us last minute.

While new people coming by seems unlikely, I'm going to stick by my original deadline.  I will get the OOC thread up later tonight with some information on Riverton.  The IC thread will go up tomorrow night.

Wolverine
Control

I want to smoke a fairy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2011, 11:37:29 AM »

I'm not 100% sure which thread this is supposed to go into, so I'll put it here just in case....

Halsten Gaelwyn - Nimble Human Acrobat
Halsten and his twin brother Gareth were born to a family who farmedn the fertile plains near the Hills of the Emerald Dawn. Despite being twins, the two boys could not have been more different. Where Gareth was strong and fit, Halsten remained thin and traded strength for mental and physical dexterity.

Despite their differences, the boys were very close and were well known for getting into all manner of youthful hijinks. Halsten would come up with the plans then pass them on to Gareth to be carried out. Normally, these were harmless pranks, but it was their last one that would change Halsten's life forever.

The boys were in their teens when the first steam engines arrived on their family farm. They had heard stories of these wonderous machines that ran on fire and water, but this was the first they had been able to see for themselves. The machine itself was rather unremarkable, a simple tractor that would replace the oxen Halsten's father used to pull his plows. At first it seemed like a grand idea, but then reality dawned.

The machine was surprisingly expensive to maintain. Keeping it fed with coal was a costly exercise, the family unable to use wood chopped during the summer for winter fires due to inefficiency. On top of that, the amount of water required to slake the machines unending thirst was straining the local wells. Things looked to be headed for disaster when Halsten came up with an idea.

He and Gareth would travel to the nearest town and lighten the purse of the man who sold their father the engine. In Halsten's mind, it was the merchant's fault that his family was now in such dire straights. It was only right that they take a little back as compensation.

The brothers put the plan into action. They made their way to the nearest town, located the merchant, and began watching his shop, waiting for the best moment to strike. Their opportunity came when the merchant left to conduct some business elsewhere in town. They made their way around the back of the building, located a conventiently open window and snuck inside. Sadly, Gareth was quite as stealthy as his more limber brother and was spotted by a passerby.

Unaware of this, the brothers began pocketing anything that looked valuable. They didn't take everything, just what they thought was fair compensation. However, before they could finish, the merchant returned. The eagle eyed passer by had rushed off to warn him of what was happening and he had stormed back to his shop full of fury and anger. When he saw the brothers filling their pockets with his money he flew into an almighty rage. Grabbing a nearby cudgel, he chased the brothers out of his shop and down the street, screaming bloody murder.

Fortunately, both boys were quick on their feet. They were no strangers to running away from angry adults, so long as they knew where they were going. This time they were out of luck. They had only been to the town once before and weren't familier with its layout, and so ended up running down a narrow street that ended in a massive engine factory. Knowing that they couldn't afford to slow down for more than a few seconds they decided to head into the factory, hoping to find a place to hide until the merchant had given up the chase.

Once inside they quickly found an out of the way corner to rest up, behind a tall stack of metal ingots. The merchant followed them into the factory mere moments later, scanning the room for any sign of the two boys. Not seeing any trace of them he realised that they had escaped and threw his cudgel into the room in angry frustration. The weapon sailed across the room and came to rest on one side of a set of industrial sized scales, causing them to become imbalanced. The lighter side of the scales bolted upwards and set in motion a Rube Goldberg-esque series of events that culminated in a collection of metal pipes suspended from the ceiling smacking into the stack of ingots the brothers were hiding behind, making them rain down on their heads.

Almost instinctively, Halsten lept clear of the falling ingots, but Gareth was not so lucky. The boy was crushed beneath the falling metal, killed instantly. Upon seeing the death of his brother, Halsten turned and fled and never looked back. He couldn't go home. There was no way he could explain this to his parents, especially when they were counting on his stronger brother to take over operation of the farm when their father became too old. Instead he ran. Ran in the opposite direction. He didn't stop running until he reached Riverton.

The money he had stolen from the merchant lasted him a short while. Even though it had been tinged with the sadness of his brother's death, Halsten had felt a real thrill while raiding the merchant's shop. Once it ran out he tried getting some more by a similar method, once again getting the same feeling. By that point he was hooked. Gone were his carefree days growing up on a farm. He was a burglar now.

[Not as much machine hate as I initially thought, but he's certainly not a fan.]

"Dickhead books?"
 -Patrick Kapera wrestling with the New Zealand accent
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2011, 12:10:56 PM »

Either location is fine for now as I will probably move things to a character page in the OOC thread at some point.

I like the story.  One thought/clarification, though.  Was his family well off / wealthy?  Since engines are just becoming available they are still cutting edge (arguably, bleeding edge) technology, they are expensive.  Could the salesmen have been something of a con man?  Perhaps, getting his parents to sign a contract to use the tractor but expecting huge payments at each harvest?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 12:48:52 PM by ludomastro » Logged

Reverandboo
Recruit

Mt dew, starbursts, chips, Mt dew

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2011, 03:44:59 PM »

Tavish Zeth   Human Intelligent Sorcerer 3rd level mage

pretty much want him the the typical upper middle class arcane student who after graduation joined the military to bring honor to his family name. fairly by the book rules are rules kinda guy with an insatiable curiosity. has a little trouble relating to other people in that typical mages just think different kind of way.

his military training has given him a little fighting experience but he tends to rely on his logic and magic more than force.

take the martial arts feat and replace dex with int. later on go rune knight with unarmed as weapon of choice Cheesy
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 06:54:25 PM by Reverandboo » Logged

Ethical axioms are found and tested not very differently from the axioms of science. Truth is what stands the test of experience.
-Albert Einstein
ludomastro
Control

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2011, 04:14:59 PM »

@ Reverandboo

Are you looking for some ideas, background stuff, etc.?  I'm happy to help.  Perhaps a martial oriented school focusing on Channeling (Energy, Force & Weather).  Part of the newly approved but still somewhat controversial magical brigade of the Army?

If others have ideas, please chime in.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: